Thanks Warren , but it seems lost

Allrounder

The problem lies in the responses to those posts / pictures. There's no blame that can be apportioned to the poster of those pics. The blame for the response lies squarely at the feet of those who respond in a sinister / sexist / crass / offensive manner. 

One should not have to worry about creepers sliding into DM's or commenting on their pics in a lewd / unsavoury manner, or calling them a "dog".

As for why one would want to. Why the hell not? It's up to the person themselves to decide what to post. They cannot be held responsible for the reaction that a few socially inept people have when they see pics. Regardless of the state of dress. 

As for why people post pics of themselves online... for some it's a revenue stream, for others it's a contractual obligation (in terms of sponsor airtime etc) for others it's a way to receive positive affirmation. There are other reasons as well, but no reason warrants a response such as the one highlighted. 

And these responses and DMs was why the Hub thread was removed?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is inevitable.The Hub is evolving and becoming more of a mainstream cycling platform that has sponsors and contributors who have a say in how they spend their money.You wont find those kind of posts on Velo etc

The days of the clique Hub is swiftly coming to an end and retributions are swift.

I am sorry to see the tread go.

That's the way the cookie crumbles.

The comment in question was one of many similar or worse comments from a number of users in the few pages we sampled. The issue was not these comments in isolation, but rather the nature and theme of the entire thread. It was a problem from the get go. Our mistake was not in mismanaging moderation of the thread, it was allowing the thread to exist at all.

I really tried to keep it "clean" trying to focus on female pro riders or at least active in the riding community rather than just a model on a bike but it was probably doomed from the start. I reported many inappropriate images myself but comments I left as they were citing freedom of speech and all that.

As the father of a daughter some of the comments were truly cringy but as Matt/admin did I turned a blind eye...to each their own and you can interpret the pics as you see fit I thought.

That said the thread encouraged locker room banter that at times was wrong and just plain, objectified women and would be hurtful if viewed by said woman. In recent months I've become increasingly uncomfortable with the nature of the thread and at times tried to distance myself from it. Those sorts of comments wouldn't be posted on the lady's Instagram page so what makes it OK for them to be passed in a forum? I for one am glad it's been shut down, it was getting out of hand.

Edited by Warren_G

I really tried to keep it "clean" trying to focus on female pro riders or at least active in the riding community rather than just a model on a bike but it was probably doomed from the start. I reported many inappropriate images myself but comments I left as they were citing freedom of speech and all that.

As the father of a daughter some of the comments were truly cringy but as Matt/admin did I turned a blind eye...to each their own and you can interpret the pics as you see fit I thought.

That said the thread encouraged locker room banter that at times was wrong and just plain, objectified women and would be hurtful if viewed by said woman. In recent months I've become increasingly uncomfortable with the nature of the thread and at times tried to distance myself from it. Those sorts of comments wouldn't be posted on the lady's Instagram page so what makes it OK for them to be passed in a forum? I for one am glad it's been shut down, it was getting out of hand.

Didn't really follow the thread, (seem to have known more about it than admin!) But this response is pure class.

Now off to Google Imogen + MTB to try and make sense of what went down

Start a Man Pro Thread, just makes sure they are more than 6 feet tall.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Edited by Warren_G

Can we start a whatsapp group? I'm in. 

Going to be honest and say i liked the thread but didn't always agree with some of the comments.Heard about female athletes on there that i would never otherwise had known about.Ended up following some of them on Instagram and Twitter and some are great cyclists.

Going to be honest and say i liked the thread but didn't always agree with some of the comments.Heard about female athletes on there that i would never otherwise had known about.Ended up following some of them on Instagram and Twitter and some are great cyclists.

Yeah, deleting pictures that they posted themselves on IG rather than banning the people who make derogatory comments, almost makes it feel like the ladies get double punished.

The pictures weren't offensive, some comments were. But I suppose in the day of cancel culture forums cannot take the risk... Hope IG doesn't start banning people's profiles because douche bags make derogatory comments on their pictures.

Didn't really follow the thread, (seem to have known more about it than admin!) But this response is pure class.

Now off to Google Imogen + MTB to try and make sense of what went down

Here you go

h t t p s : / / w w w .instagram.com/p/B7JLhemlK-8/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edited by Craai

As an aside, reading Puck's comments has me thinking she might of seen the thread.....

where would one see the comments please?

Here you go

h t t p s : / / w w w .instagram.com/p/B7JLhemlK-8/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Never saw that post on the thread, and I agree with her being upset.

Never saw that post on the thread, and I agree with her being upset.

Agreed, Afrikaans sums it up best; "kuk styl"

Edited by Craai