Suggestions for cycling in Los Angeles area

BigDL

Travelling to LA area for work in April and, as usual, am hoping to take two or three days extra to explore and ride my bike. However, with zero direct knowledge of Southern California and with so much to choose from, I would really appreciate any suggestions based on experience. 

At this stage, I have identified a road bike event through Joshua Tree National park which looks pretty cool and fits date wise. There is also a road bike event through Griffith Park in LA, which looks pretty good as well. I have searched strava and various websites and there are a huge number of amazing looking routes to ride. My natural inclination is always to get out of urban areas as quickly as possible, but I was wondering what it would be like to cycle the coast and see all of the beaches I have only seen on tv, or ride up through Holywood, although I have no interest in movie stars and stuff. 

Anyway, up the left with thoughts at the moment. Any suggestions appreciated. 

My brief trip to LA I learnt that it's just a big sprawling mess of roads and cars. I went South down to Irvine and there a bit more openness there to explore. In LA I'm guessing the mtb up to Griffith observatory and the Hollywood hills might be interesting.. But can you cycle there??

100% - Never thought that guys would be interested, but I can maybe add some rides from Croatia, North California and Scotland from Last year and the year before. 

Very privileged to travel to the states every now and again for work and to have an employer that allows us to take a few days holiday whilst we are there. I do get told by colleagues that I am not sociable enough on these trips as I tend to try and get out of the cities as quickly as possible and find places to explore, which normally means I go alone as I don't do fine dining and have little interest in the normal tourist stuff. Diners, Dive bars, redwood trees, hiking and cycling were my favourite experiences from my last work trip to the US. 

I have no input on ideas and route but once you have maybe you can post it in this thread so if guys like myself are ever lucky enough to go ride there we can use your experience. Some pics in this thread when you back would also be cool. Enjoy, I'm jealous.

Ai, when people use a forum thread such as this to pretend to be inquisitive, but honestly, all I see is a "fyn brag"...

Jealous? Me? Never!

Duane does this often as well.................. Then you go look at his Instagram and get even more jealous.

there is road that connects hollywood sign and griffith.uphill from nice restaurants at bottom and then bike up to the back of hollywood sign. road splits to take you to griffith observatory.saw quiet a few people on gravel bikes and a few on road bikes as well.it is tar from the bottom but all the connecting roads are gravel.

Ai, when people use a forum thread such as this to pretend to be inquisitive, but honestly, all I see is a "fyn brag"...

Jealous? Me? Never!

Ha - sorry if that appears to be the case. More like, who can I trust to see me right and is likely to prioritise the same as I do? Can only be the Hub.

Ha - sorry if that appears to be the case. More like, who can I trust to see me right and is likely to prioritise the same as I do? Can only be the Hub.

Now now, no need to feign being sorry...

in all fairness, enjoy the trip. I can't comment on where to ride, but I am guessing a jaunt through South-Central LA is a bad idea? (if all the movies are to be believed)

Now now, no need to feign being sorry...

in all fairness, enjoy the trip. I can't comment on where to ride, but I am guessing a jaunt through South-Central LA is a bad idea? (if all the movies are to be believed)

[emoji23]

Venice beach!!!

Might not be good for training, but great for the vibe!!!

I went for a run along there... I think It's super overhyped.... But still nice to experience though I guess

I went for a run along there... I think It's super overhyped.... But still nice to experience though I guess

Ja I agree 110%. I have just looked on google maps, so overhyped.