Affordable 1x11/1x12 MTB

shahilj

Having just moved to Cape Town, I want to actually utilise the cycle lanes that are all over the city. There seems to be a lot of excellent trails that are easy accessible.

With these two in mind, I have decided to get an MTB (instead of a gravel or commuter) as it can basically do both.

Due to it being a commuter bike, I do not want to spend too much money on it in case it gets stolen. After my experience with an older generation 27-speed MTB, it seems best to reduce the complexity of the bike and go for a 1x11 or 1x12 MTB. I had countless problems with reliability of the machine. I know these have changed as the years have advanced but the 1x11/12 seems to be the way of the future so this will be great to get.

Except, these still seem to be more common on the intermediate (15k+) bikes and not on the entry level machines. However, it is now 2020 and I feel that there will be many more entry level bikes with this setup.

My question to you all

Do you have any suggestions on what bike to get that ideally costs less than 10k?

I am open to used bikes though I want to buy this from a reputable dealer. (I use a Medium bike)

Any shops or online shops where I can check these out?

Perhaps break your quest up into two parts 1) look for the best new used / deal on frame and fork; if there is a 1x groupset bonus. 2) once you have the bike you're looking for save up to buy a 1x drive train.

You might find more options this way. The hassle of a 2x won't be a major issue if replacing in the not to distant future. A 2 x might even be beneficial while getting used to commuting in the Cape.

Edited by keithbe

After my experience with an older generation 27-speed MTB, it seems best to reduce the complexity of the bike and go for a 1x11 or 1x12 MTB. I had countless problems with reliability of the machine. I know these have changed as the years have advanced but the 1x11/12 seems to be the way of the future so this will be great to get.

Ek wil nie k@kpraat nie, but if you experienced "countless problems" with a 3x9 it is far more likely that it was due to sh1tty components or bad maintenance than the "complexity".

I still run 2007 vintage 3x9 on a HT now used for touring and it has not given a moment's trouble despite 1000s of hardworking miles. But then it is well looked after good old XO stuff, for which incidentally I can still get spares.

Consider whether focussing on buying quality rather than fixating on 1x won't get you a better, more reliable bike particularly if you go second hand. I suppose I am saying buy the best 2x10/11 speed bike you can find in the classifieds. At your budget there will be some peaches.

Ek wil nie k@kpraat nie, but if you experienced "countless problems" with a 3x9 it is far more likely that it was due to sh1tty components or bad maintenance than the "complexity".

I still run 2007 vintage 3x9 on a HT now used for touring and it has not given a moment's trouble despite 1000s of hardworking miles. But then it is well looked after good old XO stuff, for which incidentally I can still get spares.

Consider whether focussing on buying quality rather than fixating on 1x won't get you a better, more reliable bike particularly if you go second hand. I suppose I am saying buy the best 2x10/11 speed bike you can find in the classifieds. At your budget there will be some peaches.

In a nutshell

my 3x9 Commuter work a LOT better than my 1x12 MTB ....

then again, the commuter uses SHIMANO ....  :whistling: 

THIS is the best commuter your money can buy - https://bike-addict.co.za/products/merida-big-nine-xt-edition-2019

1x12 has one BIG limitation ... either it cam climb hills, OR it has some top speed ....  with a commuter on tar you want some top speed for the downhill sections, so you are going to SUFFER on the climbs.

The 2x on the Merida is truly your best bet for a dual purpose bike.

PS - I do have a 1x12 MTB, which I often use on tar to get to the trails and each time I long for more top speed.  AND I have an older 3x10 I use as a commuter.