Tubeless tire wobble

Pieter1

Hey guys/girls

I’m having some difficulty getting Maxxis tires seated properly. I can hear the bead pop but it does not seat evenly. I googled the soap thing, next thing that google says is pump it to like 60psi and leave it over night. Have any of you guys got other ideas on how to seat it evenly? The wobble will drive me nuts.

inflate to max recommended tyre pressure or max recommended rim pressure (whichever is the lower) and leave it there for 24hrs. use a lot of soap in the water or a tyre seating lubricant like they use at tiger wheel and tyre, pitstop etc

Edited by DieselnDust

What rims do you have, and what rim tape are you using? Some rims like the Stans range you only use a thin layer of the yellow type rim tape. If you use anyting else you will have a problem.

What rims do you have, and what rim tape are you using? Some rims like the Stans range you only use a thin layer of the yellow type rim tape. If you use anyting else you will have a problem.

I’m using Spank rims with Easton rim tape.

If the tyres are that difficult to get on properly, i would run less tape and maybe a thinner tape. You will also struggle big time to get them off the rim if you need to fix a puncture or something.

Edited by floatfox

Be very careful with statements like pump to max and pump to 60psi...

60psi will ruin Stans rims. They will literally blow up off the rim and pancake the rim.(lessons learned the hard way, but if you google it you will see it is a common occurrence)

If the tyre are that difficult to get on properly, i would run less tape and maybe a thinner tape. You will also struggle big time to get them off the rim if you need to fix a puncture or something.

The tires were a mafq to get on and off. I’ll try less tape. Thanks Fox.

Yea when I saw the stuff saying 60psi and more I was thinking that it could not be a good idea.

Maxxis tyres have a line just above the tyre bead which should run parallel to the rim when seated properly. If there is one area still below the rim lip you will not be able to see the line and you will the know which area is being problematic. A little bit of manipulation with your hand in that area can help seat it.

You can see what I mean on this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdzau5cQE3Y

Maxxis tyres have a line just above the tyre bead which should run parallel to the rim when seated properly. If there is one area still below the rim lip you will not be able to see the line and you will the know which area is being problematic. A little bit of manipulation with your hand in that area can help seat it.

You can see what I mean on this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdzau5cQE3Y

I noticed that line but does not matter how I fiddle I cant get it to move. Will watch the video a bit later. Thanks Dusty.

I noticed that line but does not matter how I fiddle I cant get it to move. Will watch the video a bit later. Thanks Dusty.

also make sure the rim is clean properly. especially where the bead should rest. a good scrub with a brush usually does the trick.

Once your wheel is inflated, bounce it around. No need to throw it into the floor, just drop it let it bounce up and rotate as you continue. Should help in evening out the tyre.

Thanks for all the help guys. Turns out that my little hand pump can’t pump 3.4 bar of pressure... The guy at the garage was quite apprehensive to pump it that hard bit you could see that little line (that the lady in the video talks about) move into place as the bead slips into place.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, old thread but similar issue. Brand new Conti Race Kings. Never ridden. New pattern 240tpi. Tyres fitted. Rims are absolutely true. Tyres are square on the rims; bead alignment line is right all the way around. Front has a very small bit of wobble; nothing excessive.  Back has about 4mm wobble. Looks worse with the eye but when you actually measure the relative movement of the sidewall casing when you turn the wheel, its circa 3mm to 5mm lateral movement. Is this within normal bounds? Looking round the web it seems like Contis once had - and apparently still have -a reputation for a bit of tire wobble.

Edited by MudLark