Dumb Question, but here goes.

BigDL

Guys,

I have currently got my Emonda Road bike on my kickr and am working through an FTB Builder program on Zwift. However, the reason that I am trying to build FTP is because of a lot of monster climbing that I will be doing at a MTB event in May. 

Should I put my Dual sus mtb on the kickr and use that, as that is the bike I'll be using for the event, or do you think it's ok to keep at it with the road bike? 

To avoid unnecessary costs and efforts I'll just use it as is as opposed to changing wheels/tires etc.  Ride on the mountain bike on weekends and do race specific off road climbs, build power on the indoor trainer on the roadbike during the week.  Just my 2c

I wouldn't. You're building FTP. Having suspension will offer zero help.

I've run my mtb on the trainer and it's not great. A roadie is much better IMO. 

You are going to end up putting 350psi in your rear shock an locking out the front because the pedal bob will drive you insane. And even then you will lose power.

*Edit. When I used my MTB on the trainer the gear ratios were all wrong so i ended up in my hardest possible gear bouncing along even with 350+psi in the rear shock. And the changing of the gears somehow ruined my drivetrain coz now the shifting is suuper stiff and shifting under load is impossible.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Guys,

I have currently got my Emonda Road bike on my kickr and am working through an FTB Builder program on Zwift. However, the reason that I am trying to build FTP is because of a lot of monster climbing that I will be doing at a MTB event in May. 

Should I put my Dual sus mtb on the kickr and use that, as that is the bike I'll be using for the event, or do you think it's ok to keep at it with the road bike? 

Surely not S2C???

My approach would be that if you set the distance from the bottom of the pedal stroke to the seat the same and you have the same effective seat post angle you can use any bike you want.

This!

Plus mountain bike service intervals and replacement parts are a nightmare.  Running a road bike on the trainer is far more palatable.

I find that ERG workouts on the Kickr eat chains.

Surely not S2C???

No boss - I almost wish it was. I'm doing www.rallydiromagna.com. 

Routes have just been finalised and day three is 75km with 2700m of climbing, which is scary to say the least. the other 4 days are almost as bad ratio wise. 

whatever you do, make sure you level the bike (axles must be same height)

actually, makes sense to use the bike you're doing the event on - gets your body in tune with how it feels.

No boss - I almost wish it was. I'm doing www.rallydiromagna.com.

Routes have just been finalised and day three is 75km with 2700m of climbing, which is scary to say the least. the other 4 days are almost as bad ratio wise.

Holy cr@p that’s a lot of up. Good luck

I did Baviaans last year 3 months after having 3 neck vertebrae fused, the injury kept me off the bike from the beginning of the year. Did 90% of my training on Zwift with a road bike, could only ride outside from mid July.

Indoor training with a plan does wonders, after years to training exclusively outside I can see the effect of indoor training.

Ideally you want to train on the same bike with the same gear ratios, the ratios on a road bike are different to a mtb....

How much difference the gear ratios make is debatable. The main issue is to be used to the sitting, hands and general body position that you will be using for the event.... again debatable....

I was in a similar situation years ago when I trained for CE, winter training in switz.... weekdays on a spinning bike and a IDT with an old mtb with slick rear tyre and then weekends for long outdoor rides on my mtb.

Long story short.... just train, spend the time on any bike, try do some long slow technical rough rides on the weekends to train the other body bits / muscles that you can’t on an IDT. these are imo vital because no amount of cardio IDT can prepare you for mtbking.

Have fun ????

Edited by SwissVan

I have a hard tail mtb on the wahoo and then the new soft tail is race and weekend bike only. Run a cheap 1x10 setup on the trainer bike with a locked out fork and the rest stripped completely. Just adjust the set up so the 2 bikes have the same position set up and you good to go. Even a 2nd hand mtb handlebar and stem to make the 2 bikes nearly exact. Saves money not using race bike on trainer.