Advice on a used bike pls

AndrewVZ

Hi

Wanting to get back into the saddle after a 5 year hiatus.

Looking for a 29er mountain bike hard tail for weekend Johannesburg enthusiast riding.

I am 185cm tall, 100kg, reasonably fit

Dont want to go the Makro route.

Regrettably only a R5500 budget for the bike only.

Any suggestions?

Hi

Wanting to get back into the saddle after a 5 year hiatus.

Looking for a 29er mountain bike hard tail for weekend Johannesburg enthusiast riding.

I am 185cm tall, 100kg, reasonably fit

Dont want to go the Makro route.

Regrettably only a R5500 budget for the bike only.

Any suggestions?

You are definately going to have to keep an eye out on the classifieds section for an XL framed bike.

To give you an idea, if you are lucky to find tyres on special you are already down about a R1000.00 

So if buying a really low priced bike you may need to also contend with the potential of having to replace worn components in the near future.

If there is anything that catches your eye on the classifieds, drop the link here and I am sure all will assist with any questions you may have.

You reckon XL frame? I would've pegged him as a L frame  :thumbup:.

You are definately going to have to keep an eye out on the classifieds section for an XL framed bike.

To give you an idea, if you are lucky to find tyres on special you are already down about a R1000.00 

So if buying a really low priced bike you may need to also contend with the potential of having to replace worn components in the near future.

If there is anything that catches your eye on the classifieds, drop the link here and I am sure all will assist with any questions you may have.

You reckon XL frame? I would've pegged him as a L frame  :thumbup:.

I am 1.78m tall and rock a large frame ... so 1.85m tall rider, who notes he is reasonably fit, I would assume has therefore got average to good flexibility and would rock a extra large frame.

Best way to find out though would be to go sit on a couple of bikes.

Thanks gents. What does category: marathon mean?

longer distance rides on easy to medium graded technical terrain ... with a few shorter more technical sections on the ride.

I am 1.78m tall and rock a large frame ... so 1.85m tall rider, who notes he is reasonably fit, I would assume has therefore got average to good flexibility and would rock a extra large frame.

Best way to find out though would be to go sit on a couple of bikes.

It really depends though, I'm about 1.9m tall and I'm between a L and XL depending on the brand (although I do have short legs relative to my height).

Agreed that the best way to find out is to sit on the actual bike.

It really depends though, I'm about 1.9m tall and I'm between a L and XL depending on the brand (although I do have short legs relative to my height).

Agreed that the best way to find out is to sit on the actual bike.

If you have shorter legs and a longer upper body, the ideal frame would have a low stand over height and a longer top tube / reach.

If you have shorter legs and a longer upper body, the ideal frame would have a low stand over height and a longer top tube / reach.

Indeed, but I'm not in the market for a new bike right now. At present:

(a) I'm happy with my current bikes (the newest of which I have only had since August)

(b) I've depleted my N+1 account for the foreseeable future

© I've recently upgraded both my MTB's to the new XT 12 speed

(d) I'm trying to save up a deposit for a house

:P

As a first stab, at 185cm you're in the ballpark for more L then XL I would say - but as others have pointed out, you need to sit on the bike.

This is very helpful, I am almost in the same boat, checking out the classifieds section (M, hardtail, 29 MTB). Nice to see the assistance being offered! Thanks

I'm 1.85m and ride a L Giant Anthem

Thanks for the very informative help guys - really appreciated!

Thoughts on a Signal S910 for R8500 new? Seems well equipped. Above my budget slightly