Dischem Ride for Sight

Long Wheel Base

7:04 start changed to 7:07.

10:04 changed to 10:08, so that means a 2h61 race time [emoji2957]

11:00 and 12:00 remained as is... a good day out.

Great non conversion there, just proof that a sub 3 is all in the mind haha

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hubbers 

There were a crash just before one enter the stadium in the AL bunch. Peter Elliot  went down hard . . . Cracked scull with bleeding , broken color-bone , broken sholder blade , 9 broken ribs , punctured lung. He is currently in Netcare Union Alberton.  He is in serious pain and has no recollection what happen besides than someone rode into him from behind  . . .  

I had a punciture whle in the AL - short lived 3 man break  . . . before carnival and by the time I came past Peter he was helped into an Ambo. 

Great race ,I felt good but after seeing Peter . . . I sometimes wonder why I / we get so eager close to the end . . . 

My prayers are with Peter for a super recovery (joshua 1 : 9) and freinds please lets be safe on the roads ! ( Ps - hope the link works) 

Edited by Prozac

Hubbers 

There were a crash just before one enter the stadium in the AL bunch. Peter Elliot  went down hard . . . Cracked scull with bleeding , broken color-bone , broken sholder blade , 9 broken ribs , punctured lung. He is currently in Netcare Union Alberton.  He is in serious pain and has no recollection what happen besides than someone rode into him from behind  . . .  

I had a punciture whle in the AL - short lived 3 man break  . . . before carnival and by the time I came past Peter he was helped into an Ambo. 

Great race ,I felt good but after seeing Peter . . . I sometimes wonder why I / we get so eager close to the end . . . 

My prayers are with Peter for a super recovery (joshua 1 : 9) and freinds please lets be safe on the roads ! ( Ps - hope the link works) 

That is horrific, wishing Peter a full and speedy recovery. I felt those last few turns into the stadium (especially with the quality of that road) was a recipe for a terrible high speed incident :mellow:

Those potholes going out through Alberton were quite scary too! Saw a number of guys hitting them in AL...I hope there is more of an effort to make things safer next year, (I can sympathise that the rains contributed a lot of road damage) the route should be well checked and improved for rider safety.

Well done to everyone who rode the race!

Average HR:153

Max HR:177

That was a hard 62km.

Us and 2 or 3 other tandems kept the pace high at the front with no attacking till the heidelburg turn with 20km to go. Up till then the high pace would drop a tandem every few km till we were 5(3 men and 2 mixed). It was a crazy last 20km with the 5 tandems attacking and being caught, basically all came in a few seconds behind each other split over 6 seconds. 

Racetec doesn't have the winners on the list at all so maybe they didn't wear chips so it has us as 2nd overall and winning the mens but it should read 3rd overall and 2nd mens tandem.

Average HR:153

Max HR:177

That was a hard 62km.

Us and 2 or 3 other tandems kept the pace high at the front with no attacking till the heidelburg turn with 20km to go. Up till then the high pace would drop a tandem every few km till we were 5(3 men and 2 mixed). It was a crazy last 20km with the 5 tandems attacking and being caught, basically all came in a few seconds behind each other split over 6 seconds. 

Racetec doesn't have the winners on the list at all so maybe they didn't wear chips so it has us as 2nd overall and winning the mens but it should read 3rd overall and 2nd mens tandem.

Awesome result there!

Awesome result there!

Thanks. Agg it's just weird for me to race the short route. I miss the hours in the saddle, but family comes first. I am used to fighting it out for a podium in the longer races. But I looked at the quality of riders in the long route tandem group yesterday and I am glad I didn't ride. Sjoe the guys did some good times. It must have been brutal.

I see another hubber that rides with his Wife did VERY well in the mixed. Well done Theo!!!!!!

At last year's Herald, once we turned into the final few hundred meters to the finish and the I-can't-possibly-work-once-in-105km lot made their appearance and started jockeying for position, I decided to sit up and cruise to the line. Another guy got dropped at about the same time, and I told him I'm out, there's a crash coming.

Sure enough, a few seconds later about 50m ahead of us, huge crash...

None of the 10 riders in AL who finished ahead of me got a cent... why ride recklessly and put yourself and others in danger?!

Hubbers 

This is one aspect I would have changed - would have been a better finish if they had the mats out before that left turn. our little bunch with 3 tandems had one of the tandems on the inside line in that corner. No ability to hold his line - he went from inside line to outside line in a blink with the rest of the bunch scrambling to stay out of his way. Poor form that - sprinting off your line is illegal for a reason. 

i also did the 62 km, late entry from Es. Was sick on antibiotics so just did it as a training ride .

My buddy and i did a 2 man breakaway , solid tempo . he managed to hold the break to a win, i faded in the end when the Huge AL bunch came through in the right-left-right chicane  , i let them through as it was violent in there(The aggression(lol)...  i thought i had 2nd place but i guess they dragged one of the guys from our chase along and he snuck past me in the Horde that is AL .

All round it was good having mostly clear roads (in a break that is) . Kudos to My Partner  #Ary on a solid ride... paced alone like a champ 

I was leading [2nd] place down that descent  when I was swarmed and i heard and briefly saw Peter scraping into the pavement and then chaos, he came down extremely hard, was really horrible to hear and I just thought at that point that I really hope he is ok because we were doing around 62km/h.

Speedy recovery Peter.

Hubbers 

Howzite Guys

I Really enjoyed the race everything was on point i rode in group JL I was  looking to do a good time for seeding for the 94.7 but mange a 4.50 took it to easy in the first 45km. 

Only two things that got to me

One the reckless rider that cause the serious accident with a lady on a bianchi  about 10 kms in from group JL

And secondly the refreshment tables had no bars or gels 

Those rolling hills with the winds of helderberg got to me 

Howzite Guys

I Really enjoyed the race everything was on point i rode in group JL I was  looking to do a good time for seeding for the 94.7 but mange a 4.50 took it to easy in the first 45km. 

Only two things that got to me

One the reckless rider that cause the serious accident with a lady on a bianchi  about 10 kms in from group JL

And secondly the refreshment tables had no bars or gels 

Those rolling hills with the winds of helderberg got to me 

Sorry to pick this out of your post, I'm sure you're not the only one that expects this.

but, when did it become expected that you'd get anything more than liquid replenishment at water points ? 

In my 22 years of entering races i've never expected anything more than water and whatever sponsored flavoured drink is on tap. Have my expectations been to low ?

Sorry to pick this out of your post, I'm sure you're not the only one that expects this.

but, when did it become expected that you'd get anything more than liquid replenishment at water points ? 

In my 22 years of entering races i've never expected anything more than water and whatever sponsored flavoured drink is on tap. Have my expectations been to low ?

I think people compare it to MTB events where the catering is more for the avg golfer than a racing snake looking for water.

:ph34r:

Thanks. Agg it's just weird for me to race the short route. I miss the hours in the saddle, but family comes first. 

RULE 11// 

Family does not come first. The bike does.

Sean Kelly, being interviewed after the ’84 Amstel Gold Race, spots his wife leaning against his Citroën AX. He interrupts the interview to tell her to get off the paintwork, to which she shrugs, “In your life the car comes first, then the bike, then me.” Instinctively, he snaps back, “You got the order wrong. The bike comes first.”

I looked for you and the F100.

Sorry man!!

Loadshedding Sat night made me pack my normal car. Just a tad easier in the dark. 

Then I also got a bit scared for a theft of the stuff I normally leave in the car.  F100 has got NO security!!

We'll get a chance in the future!!!