Dischem Ride for Sight

Long Wheel Base

29 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Saw that, stayed with them until about 70 then we got dropped and somehow caught one guy at around 100k mark, achieved a PB for me, as Frosty said best conditions ever, came in at 3:12 from EL

Don't you mean 2h72 (a sub 3)? 🤣

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

Allegedly a big crash in BL or CL about 30 to 40 kms in. . I was ahead of it so heard the ambulances come past going back to the scene. Anyone see what happened and is everyone okay?

Some guys dropped from our group said there was a crash just before the finish. Was not aware of any other crashes. 

31 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

Allegedly a big crash in BL or CL about 30 to 40 kms in. . I was ahead of it so heard the ambulances come past going back to the scene. Anyone see what happened and is everyone okay?

Yup, happened literally just in front of me and was very lucky to pull some manoeuvre out of a hat to not get taken down. But the guys fell very hard as we were going at a fair rate. There was bit of speeding up and slowing down in a pretty big bunch at that stage causing a lot of hard braking, I suspect that a wheels touched and that was it. 

What a lekke ride in AL coming in at 2:49ish. Decent controlled pace throughout, bunch stayed together for first 30-40km then started loosing the tails. Thanks to those sitting the front and not killing us.

But as we came past Carnical City entrance catching the short distance riders there were a few scares and then boom a crash some 4 guys went down. Only crash we saw for the day still makes it a ride to remember.

51 minutes ago, Frosty said:

How was everyone’s ride yesterday? Probably the best conditions I can remember in all the years of doing it.

Besides the usual shambles of long & short distances, cones, cars and potholes coming into the last 7km, it was an enjoyable day out.

Myst have been lots of sub-3s

Less than adequate training during lock down, most of mt riding on the MTB, with only two rides on the roadbike before yesterday, and it was only going to go south. Dropped form AL just after 70km, and then dropped from every small group that formed thereafter.

Finished in 3:06, but there are some seriously strong guys & girls out there. All the indoor training must be paying off.

My a$$ feels the difference between the MTB and the roadbike.

A goup of 6 of us (family / friends) took the drive from Potch in the early hours. 

What a splendid day! Awesome weather with PB's all around. Great gees on the short distance.

Only downside was that funny looking baby bottle thing we got when collecting our numbers😨

41 minutes ago, Blue Monster said:

Less than adequate training during lock down, most of mt riding on the MTB, with only two rides on the roadbike before yesterday, and it was only going to go south. Dropped form AL just after 70km, and then dropped from every small group that formed thereafter.

Finished in 3:06, but there are some seriously strong guys & girls out there. All the indoor training must be paying off.

My a$$ feels the difference between the MTB and the roadbike.

That's 2h66 (a sub3) 😁🤣 🤣

25 minutes ago, eugenenyawo said:

Dischem Ride For Sight (BL) 

Nice video, thanks for sharing.
Some of your friends were wearing the wrong kit 😉
When Vukani joined at 7km it got a lot more dangerous, those guys almost caused numerous crashes.
Luckily I finished safely.
Didn't know there had been a crash at about 40km, good thing I was towards the front of the bunch.
I know a cone went flying behind me towards Carnival City and heard that was a crash near the finish line. The one guys was still shaking after crossing the finish line.

31 minutes ago, eugenenyawo said:

Nice video was in that bunch but behind you. Vukani were chaotic to say the least but thats racing. How do you get the overlay on there of your numbers ? Is that a Garmin VIRB?

6 minutes ago, Cyclewizz said:

Nice video, thanks for sharing.
Some of your friends were wearing the wrong kit 😉
When Vukani joined at 7km it got a lot more dangerous, those guys almost caused numerous crashes.
Luckily I finished safely.
Didn't know there had been a crash at about 40km, good thing I was towards the front of the bunch.
I know a cone went flying behind me towards Carnival City and heard that was a crash near the finish line. The one guys was still shaking after crossing the finish line.

seems like that is Vukani's style. They were also chaotic in 947

56 minutes ago, eugenenyawo said:

What happened to the video from the second half of the ride?
Did you run out of battery?

37 minutes ago, Frosty said:

What happened to the video from the second half of the ride?
Did you run out of battery?

Unfortunately only lasts for less than two hours. Would have for better footage if it lasted the whole way 😁

1 hour ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

Nice video was in that bunch but behind you. Vukani were chaotic to say the least but thats racing. How do you get the overlay on there of your numbers ? Is that a Garmin VIRB?

I use a GoPro Hero 7 to record and then use Garmin's VIRB EDIT for the overlays. 

1 hour ago, eugenenyawo said:

Nice video and analysis Eugene!!!  Lekker that I featured at the start of your vid.  Was part of the Germiston Wheelers gang.  Yes. much better to sit at the front, easier and safer!!!

VUKANI, they have no idea on how to handle their bikes in a race, but they are pretty strong. I also had a few choice discussions during the race to get them to ride in a safe manner...

Edited by Underachiever