PPA, CTCT and WP Cycling

Icycling

Thread split out from the following discussion:  https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/183819-event-medihelp-stellenbosch-cycle-tour-2020/page-26?do=findComment&comment=3603797

----

I have been told first hand by PPA staff that their mandate states if they have an event that is not a profitable one they cannot host it again.

On that statement without a sponsor - don't think Double century will happen (2021) now that it has moved back to PPA.

Cycle tour also needs new headline sponsor from what I understand - if none found does that mean this event is also coming to an end? Yes I know this is not a PPA event and falls under Cycle tour trust.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On that statement without a sponsor - don't think Double century will happen (2021) now that it has moved back to PPA.

Cycle tour also needs new headline sponsor from what I understand - if none found does that mean this event is also coming to an end? Yes I know this is not a PPA event and falls under Cycle tour trust.

Without the bells and whistles the DC has enough entrants to be run without a sponsor.

I do think they should start charging a more realistic fee for the DC though, like R13 - 14k per team, entry fee was too low this year. 

Edited by Pure Savage

Argus in danger of being discontinued? I think there's more chance of the Gupta's seeing jail

Argus in danger of being discontinued? I think there's more chance of the Gupta's seeing jail

The Cape Town Cycle tour is not an easy event to organize - given the route. For now fortunately the premier of the Western Cape is also a cyclist. These thing change however - it would be ridiculous to believe the Cape Town cycle will just continue to happens for many years to come. That been said I still hope to do at least 50 of them, so hoping it at least continues for 15 more years (with out hassles) including this year.

The Cape Town Cycle tour is not an easy event to organize - given the route. For now fortunately the premier of the Western Cape is also a cyclist. These thing change however - it would be ridiculous to believe the Cape Town cycle will just continue to happens for many years to come. That been said I still hope to do at least 50 of them, so hoping it at least continues for 15 more years (with out hassles) including this year.

Regardless of the premier, a massive spike in tourism between xmas and Easter is a no brainer really. 

It may not be as big, but I reckon it will roll on.

Regardless of the premier, a massive spike in tourism between xmas and Easter is a no brainer really. 

It may not be as big, but I reckon it will roll on.

I agree the Premier has nothing to do with the event although since he has been around, some races have been rather Winde. CTCT was run long before he came and it will be around when he is gone.

I agree the Premier has nothing to do with the event although since he has been around, some races have been rather Winde. CTCT was run long before he came and it will be around when he is gone.

People seem to forget that the CTCT was organised by the PPA in the past and that it was run quite successfully.

Already the Cycle Tour Week is smaller with the MTB CycleTour now rebranded as MTB Challenge but still organised by Dirtopia. Consolidating the events portfolio back to core is not a bad move in tough economic times.

People seem to forget that the CTCT was organised by the PPA in the past and that it was run quite successfully.

Already the Cycle Tour Week is smaller with the MTB CycleTour now rebranded as MTB Challenge but still organised by Dirtopia. Consolidating the events portfolio back to core is not a bad move in tough economic times.

Dirtopia/Amarider has no involvement anymore in MTB cycletour.  Its fully run now by PPA now that the routes/venue has changed.  

I still think there could be more cohesion between PPA and WP cycling, but I am sure that can be kept for another thread.

I still think there could be more cohesion between PPA and WP cycling, but I am sure that can be kept for another thread.

indeed.

WPMTB really struggles to get events on board to co-host WPXCM series events with the fun rides. There was a lot of BS at the Fedhealth race where WPMTB was told the riders entered into their series would be seeded together. Then someone changed their mind and really buggered the race aspect.

There's always flippen politics and most of the time it revolves around seeding and timing. Such a load of twaddle.

Fully agree.

Having raced winter league for the past 2 seasons and going PPA races in Spring, its seems it's more of a competition between the 2. And to be honest, alot more guys prefer WP League than PPA, look at the Cat 1 guys for example. Alfa, MadMacs, Hartlief, Kinetic, Cyclopaths, Specialized etc all turn up with full squads for WP league, at PPA events, you'll see a few here and there and sometimes even none of them at all. I think the only gap is at winter league, apart from 1 Killarney event(Randall Februarie Memorial) there is no "open cat" which is "social" and I understand due to road closures etc, But that's where the gap is, So you either race or you dont, because Cat 3 also isn't a walk in the park and often the avrge speeds are 35km/h plus after the race.

Anyway, yeah, let's leave that for another fred...

Fully agree.

Having raced winter league for the past 2 seasons and going PPA races in Spring, its seems it's more of a competition between the 2. And to be honest, alot more guys prefer WP League than PPA, look at the Cat 1 guys for example. Alfa, MadMacs, Hartlief, Kinetic, Cyclopaths, Specialized etc all turn up with full squads for WP league, at PPA events, you'll see a few here and there and sometimes even none of them at all. I think the only gap is at winter league, apart from 1 Killarney event(Randall Februarie Memorial) there is no "open cat" which is "social" and I understand due to road closures etc, But that's where the gap is, So you either race or you dont, because Cat 3 also isn't a walk in the park and often the avrge speeds are 35km/h plus after the race.

WPcycling league races don't have a loyalty points seeding system. You have Cat 1to3 and if you don't cut the mustard in the cat you chose you're out the back and on your own. No excuses.

PPA seeding is a loyalty system. The more you race the better your seeding to a limit. So for guys who have teams or clubs the League racing is more fun, tactical and there's a much better atmosphere amongst the riders themselves.

The way I see it is that WP League caters for people who want to be better bicycle racers while PPA caters for lone wolves who want a better Argust Seeding

Fully agree.

If I can get some solid ideas into how we can incorporate WP league races with 1 or 2 fun ride categories then I will def look at making this happen.

The only problem with WP league races are they dont use racetec(moer expensive) so non seeding events which is what the majority of the fun riders are looking for. Somehow we need to get WPCA and PPA to share events where we start the league categories 1, 2 & 3 before the PPA batches start. 

But then we run into a profit sharing issue in terms of who pays for what and who gets x % profit.

So like I said if we can come up with some proper ideas into how the 2 cycling bodies can work together around events then I can def look at making it happen. 

I think this is the cohesion we need. I have not posted the full email I sent to heads of both bodies.

"

Peter
Subject:

CEO / General manger appointments
Date:

09 December 2019 at 11:02:47 SAST
To:

Rens Rezelman , ciskaaustin

Dear Ciska and Rens,

Cycling in RSA finds itself in a unique position where both top office jobs at the two biggest cycling organisations in RSA will / have become vacant more or less at the same time. Can cycling in RSA really afford to replace both these positions independently or at all? 

Having served on the committee of PPA for about 18 years during the time when unification / amalgamation was a hot topic on the agenda for cycling in SA - is now perhaps an ideal time to relook at the working of cycling in RSA for the good of the sport? 

.......1 person take on both these positions.....

Regards

Peter
"

Last year WP cycling was very accommodating when one or 2 of PPA's races clashed with the leagues races. This after WP obtained all permissions & approvals was secured well in advance & published on the race calendar and social media platforms.