Old Medals

Jigghead

I have around 100 medals from various events. It’s hit the stage where our coat racks rattle, my daughter’s door rattles from her medals. They seem to be everywhere.

With the exception of a small handful of the things, I’m keen to get rid of them. I’ve heard of a charity that gives them to kids who reach milestones in recovery from illnesses etc.

Any ideas of who they are and how I can get my medals to them?

Awesome, I swim 8 Mile Club and Ride for them.

Thank you.

I dropped them off in parktown if I recall, close to the zoo. This was around 3 years ago but believe their offices are still there. Just contact them first and arrange to drop off. 

Man this actually put a lump in my throat. Those poor little kiddies suffering and something a lot of us take for granted can mean the world to them.

If anyone gets details or a number to call for Joburg, can you please post it here................

Is it only medals, or do they also accept teddy bears?

I got my girls to clean out the cupboards Oliver the holidays, and I have 2 black bags full of stuffed toys waiting to be distributed.

So I mailed CHOC today, they don’t take them anymore. They suggested that I get in touch with Reach for a Dream or Rainbows and Smiles. I’ll get in touch with both this weekend and check who’s keen to take them.

I’ll then post it here!

I got my girls to clean out the cupboards Oliver the holidays, and I have 2 black bags full of stuffed toys waiting to be distributed.

I’ve also got loads of teddies. There’s a children’s home in Bryanston that will take them. I’ll get the name and post it as well. My girls have also grown out of about two bags of cuddly stuff. Apparently they’ll also take previously loved toys. I’ll get the details. Edited by Jigghead

So I mailed CHOC today, they don’t take them anymore. They suggested that I get in touch with Reach for a Dream or Rainbows and Smiles. I’ll get in touch with both this weekend and check who’s keen to take them.

I’ll then post it here!

That's a pity, as I reckon it must be a morale booster for the kids.

Rainbows and Smiles is a lady called Bonnie, she is seasoned triathlete and sadly lost a child to cancer.

I’ve also got loads of teddies. There’s a children’s home in Bryanston that will take them. I’ll get the name and post it as well. My girls have also grown out of about two bags of cuddly stuff. Apparently they’ll also take previously loved toys. I’ll get the details.

Thanks.

I am aware of a place close to me, that our club donated stuff to, but I’d prefer to give to others that haven’t received before.

So on X-Mas day 2018 I took my then 3year old daughter to Red Cross Childrens Hospital and we handed over 3 black bags of toys, teddy's, shoes etc etc. The only reason I took her with was because when we told her we giving it away she was obviously sad and crying, I explained to her that some kiddies have no parents or toys etc etc and they live at the hospital, we handed over the bags(the kids weren't there as they were out) but I showed her pics and videos. Last year on Christmas Day she asked out of her own if we can go there again and was even willing to give her favorite teddy's to the kids. I've been there before and it really is a wake up call and sad, yet great place to be.

I also handed over more than 100 medals aswell to Cycle Teknix who were collecting to donate them to Red Cross who give them to kids who finish chemo sessions etc but you can go straight there too.

Edited by FootballingCyclist

I’ve also got loads of teddies. There’s a children’s home in Bryanston that will take them. I’ll get the name and post it as well. My girls have also grown out of about two bags of cuddly stuff. Apparently they’ll also take previously loved toys. I’ll get the details.

few years back we were invited to join a toy-run to a children's home.

WOW !

What an eye-opener ..... still get a lump in my throat .... one image remains vivid in my mind, of a 16 year old girl.  Both parents dead, no other family, and yet the kindest smile ....

The staff spoke to us about the kids and their needs.

YES, the fluffy toys are always welcome !! 

But these kids are just normal kids, and have needs ranging from clothes to school stationary etc ....  Look around your kids room at all the stuff we take for granted, which these kids miss out on ....

and we so often have cupboards full of un-used stuff .....

sorry, this thread just stirred up the image of that girl in my minds-eye ..... very grateful for all the blessings we have, and for being able to bless others.

They would be gladly accepted at the Avril Elizabeth.Alan v H used to sponsor a race that supported them.We called it the Teddy Bear Ride.

https://www.avril.org.za/our-history/

Edited by Kranswurm

http://marshmemorial.org.za/

Marsh Memorial Homes in Rondebosch are the people we have donated childrens stuff of all kinds to over many years. They have been around for more than a 100 years and do fantastic work. They will accept anything and whatever they cannot use, they will sell at their yearly fete. Of course, if there are a couple of captains of industry lurking here, with a bit of a tax bite coming up, feel free to donate big too and deduct it from your taxable income. It will be used well.