Cyclist Knocked at Dolphin Beach

FootballingCyclist

From FB -

This is from my cycling whatsapp group: "he (the cyclist) came from Bayside on the wrong side and wanted to cross over to the cycle lane on the junction. The cars stopped on red, but the bus had green, so the bus hit him head on. Then the bus tried to swerve and went into the opposite lane."

As I said, not an eyewitness account - just what was posted on our group.

post-132504-0-74702200-1579866977_thumb.jpg

Edited by piotter

From FB -

This is from my cycling whatsapp group: "he (the cyclist) came from Bayside on the wrong side and wanted to cross over to the cycle lane on the junction. The cars stopped on red, but the bus had green, so the bus hit him head on. Then the bus tried to swerve and went into the opposite lane."

Wow!! Cyclist miss read traffic lights and causes a bus to swerve almost flipping the bus... kudos to the bus driver!

Since its friday............

Why was he not in the cycle lane [emoji847]

Unfortunately you have idiots who do not cross over onto the cycle lane, but instead cycle on the yellow shoulder and then turn in at Dolphin beach. No idea why as the crossing is easy and safe. We have a couple of commuters in our group who cross over at Bayside to the cycle lane every day.

More idiots, earlier this week there was a cyclist in the road, with no shoulder from the CT direction to Table View riding in mist, on the road, with dark kit and no lights.... there is no excuse to feel you should be riding on the road along this stretch.

Come with the argument of "you have a right to cycle on the road" and I will call you an idiot. An idiot makes that choice when there is a perfectly safe lane to cycle on vs the road.

I have been on this route for many a years, and well before the lanes were built. That road is not safe, and has never been. Had far too many close calls myself and I recall that there were enough cyclists knocked over on this road before they built the lanes.

Wow!! Cyclist miss read traffic lights and causes a bus to swerve almost flipping the bus... kudos to the bus driver!

Having extra lanes and turn signals just for buses can confuse things a bit if you're not concentrating. But hey common sense

I was on the bike lane coming back from my morning ride when I passed the accident scene. It looked bad. I later met someone that apparently knows the cyclist and word is that he should pull through. (Internal bleeding was mentioned)

Edited by ivan888

according to his surgeon he's gonna be fine, I know it coz I just snapped my right forearm and he's going to fix me up tomorrow... apparently we have a similar injury, except I wasn't hit by a bus, I just went otb trying to hop on a pavement to rejoin the cycling lane from melkbos to bib bay... lots of brain fade involved as I was at 119km after my 99er recon this morning... hopefully I can make it to the ctct, but no 99er for me :'(

according to his surgeon he's gonna be fine, I know it coz I just snapped my right forearm and he's going to fix me up tomorrow... apparently we have a similar injury, except I wasn't hit by a bus, I just went otb trying to hop on a pavement to rejoin the cycling lane from melkbos to bib bay... lots of brain fade involved as I was at 119km after my 99er recon this morning... hopefully I can make it to the ctct, but no 99er for me :'(

Glad you are OK. Once your arm is in a cast, and you are pain free, ride on the indoor trainer to keep your fitness up as much as possible. That way, when the cast comes off you won't be 2 months behind. Also, when you start riding again, be very careful, because the arm will be weak and stiff. Even a minor crash then, will easily damage ligaments. Consider wearing a brace of some kind, depending on exactly what fracture you had. Also, a higher stem or riser bars will take a bit of weight off the arm. (Been there, done that, more than once, even rode one Argus with a cast on, but I've grown up since then and decided I'm now done with that kind of irresponsible nonsense....... ;) )