Calling all Kask Protone helmet owners

nickvink30@yahoo.com

After scouring the SA online and LBS's scene for a decent helmet, I ended up deciding on a Protone. All the reviews I read were very positive and the helmet seems to be a very popular one from what i can tell out on the road. My thoughts so far:

Pros:

Ridiculously light

Very comfortable

Sits securely, and fitment/adjust ability excellent

Eyewear slots into helmet with zero risk of falling out (glasses dependent sure)

Next to no drag at high speed so its "aero"

Doesn't overheat and venting suberb.

Looks good (subjective I know)

Cons:

Expensive

And the reason for my post - Channels sweat directly into my friggin eyes!!

I've owned and used quite a few helmets in the past but none have done such a fantastic job of channeling sweat away from my forehead and directly into my eyes! I'm sure for the cost, the experts at Kask could have developed a better sweatband that channels sweat off the forehead better than the current one. 

Anybody else experience this and know a clever hack to prevent this from happening? Tried vaseline above the brow but not ideal. I'm considering tossing the "sweatpad" away and replacing with another brand like Giro or MET (my Met one was excellent)

Edited by nickvink30@yahoo.com

Yeah I had the same with my Mojito...

Basically, anytime I looked down for a longer period and then looked up it would be a sweaty waterfall... Not pleasant..

Have moved over to Spez helmets with that front brow vent, and no issues anymore. Although the overall fit isn't better. But no sweat problems

Mine has been in the cupboard for months now. For such an expensive helmet, the front pad seems no better than in the helmet I used for my first Argus moons ago.

I do have an extra set of pads for it, and I've thought of ...altering some of the spare top and/or side ones to replace the front pad, just need some extra small velcro thingies.

So it might just be a Kask thing I guess. The pad doesn't seem to hold sweat very well, and is shaped in a V towards the centre of the forehead. Not sure what they were thinking.

Yeah I had the same with my Mojito...

Basically, anytime I looked down for a longer period and then looked up it would be a sweaty waterfall... Not pleasant..

Have moved over to Spez helmets with that front brow vent, and no issues anymore. Although the overall fit isn't better. But no sweat problems

Edited by nickvink30@yahoo.com

Maybe i'm the odd one out...

Mojito - no issues - 1 year use

Protone, going on 3 years now and still my go to helmet. Never had a problem with sweat in my eyes in humid KZN.

Take a look at the Lazer range.  It's huge and the importers seem to have brought in just about every model.

Thanks Straight Line. Will check in with them on pad options possibly.

I have a mojito and tbh haven't experienced this but I also haven't used it much. It is a lekker helmet that is super light and fits my kop nicely but what I don't like is the leather chin strap. Scared to wash it in the shower like I wash my other helmets.

just wear a casquette under your helmet like any other clever roadie and problem solved ....stops the padding getting nasty also......

Edited by bikebloke

just wear a casquette under your helmet like any other clever roadie and problem solved ....stops the padding getting nasty also......

Do people still do that?

I would say try a HALO sweatband. You still get the benefit of the air flow and you don't have to wear a silly hat in public...........  :ph34r:

Do people still do that?

I would say try a HALO sweatband. You still get the benefit of the air flow and you don't have to wear a silly hat in public........... :ph34r:

+1 on Halo. Rubber strip does the trick.

You just look a bit like a knob with a line in your forehead at the post ride beer session.

Do people still do that?

I would say try a HALO sweatband. You still get the benefit of the air flow and you don't have to wear a silly hat in public...........  :ph34r:

I ended up buying a Halo as a result. Not ideal for a R4.5k helmet, Kask could have at least thrown one in   ;)

Do people still do that?

yeah people with some style that dont want to be seen with with a huge rubber band knotted around their head and want to keep the sun off their face with the peak thrown in ,  its called class.. :whistling:

I have what is called hyperhidrosis, which means I am constantly sweating, my hands and feet most of the day and when I cycle, my head sweats alot too. I had the same issue with my Mojito aswell as my Protone. I have been using the Valegro now for about 4 months and that issue is no longer. The design of the helmet with the big vent across the front aswell as the shape with the higher forehead section,(I call it the radiator LOL) which gives the forehead better ventilation is definitely beneficial when it comes to cooling the head down.

Edited by FootballingCyclist