Overberg Bike Services

T_Boss

I guess this question is a bit of a first attempt at some market research.

What is the bike shop/service industry like in the overberg? I know it’s a top cycling area weather road, MTB or Gravel, but haven’t seen much in the likes of bike shops. I went in to the BMT shop in Hermanus, but didn’t seem like much was going on.

We potentially looking at moving to the area, and would like to start up a business. Leaning more towards service and repairs, not retail, so no brand affiliation, but would carry stock of basics likes tires, chains, lubes etc.

Another consideration has been to operate a mobile workshop, servicing your bikes at your premises, or for more detailed work, at least offering a pick/up drop off service, with fees based on a sliding scale related to distance.

Interested to here thoughts from the local riders. If you feel the market for bike mechanics/shops is saturated in the area, let me know too. I have been spending some time in the area and haven’t seen much going on.....

Eudia used to be THEE go to place in Hermanus.  They closed mid last year ....

Turns out the person that ran the shop opened a bike shop on the other corner of the same centre :

post-110956-0-83579200-1579883127_thumb.jpg

I popped in there last week .... missed the old shops "vibe" ....

but you know what they say about "feet through the door" in a business ... and this shop is at the START of the Hermanus trails.....

I cant comment on their standard of service (the new shop)

I am not sure of other shops IN Hermanus .... I do recall mention on the Hub a while back on another shop, but have no details of it.

BMT/ White Stone Cycles - owner Paul Gibbens. In town, complex next to the Church at the traffic circle. Hermanus Cycles - owner Leon Prak. In Town behind PicknPay centre, Long Street. Village Cycles - owner Jannie Nel. Hemel & Aarde Village complex.

So BMT/White stone is the only shop in Hermanus I have been to.

Have heard good things about village cycles.

My question is more regarding the distribution of cyclists and services throughout the rest of the Overberg. Or are all the cyclist weekend warriors from Cape Town?

The way I see it, the rest of the district has to either go to Hermanus or in to Cape Town to have their bikes serviced, or pick up some spares. So I am wondering if there is a gap in the market to set up shop slightly more central to the like of caledon/Greyton etc, or as mentioned above, offer a mobile workshop service,

But obviously, that would only work if there’s a lot of riders in these areas, and that all the peeps you see out on the trails are not just visitors from Cape Town/Stellenbosch etc, that have their pick of decent bike shops everyday of the week.

There is a Rockhopper Adventures in Caledon with a satellite shop in Greyton, and there is a bike shop in Gansbaai.

The shop in Bredasdorp has been closed for a while (owner has since passed away.)

There is a bicycle shop in Swellendam, and Riversdal Cycles in Riversdal as well.

There are three bike shops in Hermanus.

What area do you plan to move to? Hermanus is a fair bit away from the rest of the Overberg, and the population density isn't that high.

Pity you weren't around when Euodia Bike shop was for sale, it would have been the perfect start with a shop with an already established client base.

Edit: Scratch Rockhopper in CAM country.

Edited by PhilipV

There is a Rockhopper Adventures in Caledon with a satellite shop in Greyton, and there is a bike shop in Gansbaai.

The shop in Bredasdorp has been closed for a while (owner has since passed away.)

There is a bicycle shop in Swellendam, and Riversdal Cycles in Riversdal as well.

What area do you plan to retire? Hermanus? Pity you weren't around when Euodia Bike shop was for sale, it would have been the perfect start with a shop with an already established client base.

Rockhopper in Caledon moved to Somerset West 5 years ago. The satelite shop in Greyton is also closed with just a few spare parts available at a local coffee shop. No mechanic or bikeshop.

Rockhopper in Caledon moved to Somerset West 5 years ago. The satelite shop in Greyton is also closed with just a few spare parts available at a local coffee shop. No mechanic or bikeshop.

Thanks, I was wondering wether Corne was still doing the Caledon shop.

I stand corrected.

Thanks, I was wondering wether Corne was still doing the Caledon shop.

I stand corrected.

We still support him. Great guy and awesome shop in S West

Best bet might be mobile workshop for the area?

This is what I am leaning more towards as well. Once I have a better understanding, I can make a call about opening some shop space. I will probably be based in Stanford, so pretty nice and central to most of the Overberg

BMT/ White Stone Cycles - owner Paul Gibbens. In town, complex next to the Church at the traffic circle. Hermanus Cycles - owner Leon Prak. In Town behind PicknPay centre, Long Street. Village Cycles - owner Jannie Nel. Hemel & Aarde Village complex.

Sorry to hear about Euodia - hadn't heard the news. 

Used/visited them when often when on holiday in Hermanus. 

• 5 weeks later...

Reviving this thread with an update.

Have decided to try my luck with a mobile bike service offering, based out of Stanford. I will put up a post soon with details on pricing etc. will be open for business from the 10th of March 2020.

We will also be offering a few other exciting services, like bikepacking/slackpacking trips through the Overberg, with pick up/drop offs in Cape Town or Hermanus, as well as day trip gravel rides around Arniston/Aghulas etc, and into de hoop.

Also putting a group together to do the Ben 10 Eco Challenge in the Eastern Cape over Easter. For more info on that, have a look at this post: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/184928-event-ben10-by-bike-challenge/?do=findComment&comment=3617914

Still got space for three or four riders to join on that one

What area do you plan to move to? Hermanus is a fair bit away from the rest of the Overberg, and the population density isn't that high.

Pity you weren't around when Euodia Bike shop was for sale, it would have been the perfect start with a shop with an already established client base.

Edit: Scratch Rockhopper in CAM country.

Bike shop in Gansbaai is also closed down. No more.

Have decided to try my luck with a mobile bike service offering, based out of Stanford. I will put up a post soon with details on pricing etc. will be open for business from the 10th of March 2020.

We will also be offering a few other exciting services, like bikepacking/slackpacking trips through the Overberg, with pick up/drop offs in Cape Town or Hermanus, as well as day trip gravel rides around Arniston/Aghulas etc, and into de hoop.

Also putting a group together to do the Ben 10 Eco Challenge in the Eastern Cape over Easter. For more info on that, have a look at this post: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/184928-event-ben10-by-bike-challenge/?do=findComment&comment=3617914

BEST wishes  :thumbup:

We will be in Standford this weekend.  Sadly cant ride the Stanford Classic due a knee  (should be back on the bike in a week or two..) .... may take my cameras and just have some fun.

PM me and we'll get you onto the Stanford WhatsApp list if you are not already on.  Very large and active so should help.  We have a list in Gansbaai as well so will post your details on that as well.  Else mail gansbaaimtb@gmail.com.  Cheers

PM me and we'll get you onto the Stanford WhatsApp list if you are not already on.  Very large and active so should help.  We have a list in Gansbaai as well so will post your details on that as well.  Else mail gansbaaimtb@gmail.com.  Cheers

Thanks, I will take you up on that, just need a week or so to sort out some more details, new phone numbers etc etc.