Are Hardtails dead?

T_Boss

Bit late to the party but just in time for valentines. Check out Momsen's STR range. I'm itching to replace my old one with the new frame!!!

I have one in the garage patiently waiting on a slow build

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks guys - nice to see some LOVE for our Cromo/Steel hardtails.

some recent pics of the ST-F ( which is the FIXED DROPOUT - no sliders - version ).

Limited stock in all sizes left at R 5,995 incl VAT>

If you don't mind, please could you drop me a PM with the cost for a headset and seatpost clamp for the second gen STR.

Bought mine second hand (should be new as the previous/origional owner did not build up the frame) and the frame did not come with a headset, seatpost clamp or axel ... fortunately I had an axel lying around.

ah, I'm on the RM vertex 990. love it. can ride it all day.

never thought i would end up doing long endurance stuff on ht bike, maybe i should switch frames as much as you!

My RM Vertex 999 RSL is the best bike i've ever owned. Will never sell that frame.  

I've done XC, marathon, 24H, ultra-endurance, bike packing, and everything in between with it. 

It blows my mind when I take my bike for a service and people make comments like: "Now there is something I haven't seen in years!". 

The hardtail is the best all round, do it all bike you can own. It might not be the fastest at any specific application, but it does most things very well in capable hands. 

Dimensions in modelspace ????????????????????

Jirrrrrrrre good old AutoCAD, that's a blast from the past. SO.MANY.COLOURS!

Well, I hope its AutoCAD and that your designers aren't purposefully changing SolidWorks/Inventor/NX colour schemes to look like that.

My new Lynskey. Bit of a mix and match at the moment. Budget is still being worked out. But rides very fast.

Ah man that is nice. Is it set up for you already? That seat post looks loooong.

Thank you.

It is all done. Working like a dream now. I actually had to lift it a tiny bit higher. The frame is an XL but it seems a little smaller than my old Spez. To be fair I am enjoying the closer reach and ever so slightly smaller feel. I feel more in control than my old bike. I just need to get around to painting the fork. It is my old carbon one. Not sure how to paint carbon. Would really like to do it a matt black.  

plastidip for now on the fork?

I think a lot of it has to do with the perception of how much you should pay for a mountain bike. To me it seems people think you are unable to ride a bike that costs less than R20k and the more you pay the longer it will last.

Here I am on 29,000km riding a bike that cost me R9k used 4 years ago. 

Ah man that is nice. Is it set up for you already? That seat post looks loooong.

Thank you.

It is all done. Working like a dream now. I actually had to lift it a tiny bit higher. The frame is an XL but it seems a little smaller than my old Spez. To be fair I am enjoying the closer reach and ever so slightly smaller feel. I feel more in control than my old bike. I just need to get around to painting the fork. It is my old carbon one. Not sure how to paint carbon. Would really like to do it a matt black.  

#tallpeopleproblems.

mine alllook the same...on XL frames too. anyone under 1.9m's feet wont even reach my pedals lol.

#tallpeopleproblems.

mine alllook the same...on XL frames too. anyone under 1.9m's feet wont even reach my pedals lol.

I am not as tall as you guys but I ride a L frame and I am always jealous of the shorter guys because I think the bikes just look so much better when the frames are smaller. I also slam all my stems so sometimes getting the fit right is a bit tricky.

I am not as tall as you guys but I ride a L frame and I am always jealous of the shorter guys because I think the bikes just look so much better when the frames are smaller. I also slam all my stems so sometimes getting the fit right is a bit tricky.

I made peace with it. Fit and all day comfort is more important to me. 

I think a lot of it has to do with the perception of how much you should pay for a mountain bike. To me it seems people think you are unable to ride a bike that costs less than R20k and the more you pay the longer it will last.

Here I am on 29,000km riding a bike that cost me R9k used 4 years ago. 

My trusty old HT purchased 8 years ago for less than R20K, have over 42,000km on it with more kilos being added every week.

That said, now I also have a FS in my garage worth more than R20K and it is more fun & faster in just about every aspect... (and far less expensive to maintain than I anticipated).

That "perception" might have more truth in it than you imagine.

That said, now I also have a FS in my garage worth more than R20K and it is more fun & faster in just about every aspect... (and far less expensive to maintain than I anticipated).

True that. My FS has cost me almost nothing in maintenance since I bought it 5 years ago. The opportunity cost of having spent some money on a bike I have ridden once since I lent it to a friend to do J2C in 2018 is something else again....

Edited by eddy

Hardtails definitely aren’t dead, just gotta know where to find them. A few weeks ago I picked up a Commencal meta am. 29er, eagle 12spd, 150mm lyric up front, and beast of all - 65 degree head angle.

I’ve spent some time on this bike now and man, no regrets selling the road bike. Happily Cruz along sealed surfaces and get to explore any trails I find along the way. On the trails it’s a roudy barrel of fun! Just as capable as my full sus, just not as forgiving. The meta has quickly become my go to bike for a quick ride after work etc.. best part of all, after riding the meta for a couple weeks, I jumped back on my Hightower and it felt like dream. Hardtails Are ALIVE

post-62272-0-60181700-1580974008_thumb.jpeg

My trusty old HT purchased 8 years ago for less than R20K, have over 42,000km on it with more kilos being added every week.

Willie, then i must seriously been doing something wrong as i find that a full sus is more expensive to maintain than a hardtail...

I have been toying with the thought for a number of months now to go back to a hardtail, but thinking of that long corrugated karoo roads in the middle of the night... you will be the first one to slap me through the face.