Are Hardtails dead?

T_Boss

I was surprised now when I got to Girona and actually went MTB'ing how many (basically everyone) rides Hardtails here. ~From Old people to Pros. I felt out on my FS I wont lie. I have n since been trying to find a frame to convert my parts to a HT Frame. 

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised now when I got to Girona and actually went MTB'ing how many (basically everyone) rides Hardtails here. ~From Old people to Pros. I felt out on my FS I wont lie. I have n since been trying to find a frame to convert my parts to a HT Frame. 

last year we did a 4-day event in Igualada (Volcat).

75% of the field were on HTs. Rode with most of the female pros who were ALL on HTs!

also felt out on my dualie

Isn't South Africa just a classic case of 'all the gear no idea' in most sportsing fields?

Golf hackers playing off a 24 handicap with Nike Victory Red Line blades and 700 ProV1's..... 130kg pseudo pro cyclists with a coach, an S-works Epic, power meter and opinions on 'suspension feel'....... Kids with Adidas world cup rugby boots made from kangaroo leather in the u15c team.

Our culture here centres around the kit. I was raised the other way. If I can perform with crap kit and bog average equipment, then cool. It was always just embarrassing to me to be rubbish with the best kit. 

Also, on a serious level, we have less harsh winters, which means our maintenance on bearings and linkage systems is marginal.

There it would be destroyed in the slushy snow mud and black mush.

Then you need to go here...https://www.rocacorbacycling.cc/

Really loving the general sentiment on this thread. Must say I fully agree with Jewbaca, all the gear no idea is so rife here.

Whether it’s bikes, motorbike, bakkies, golf etc the list just goes on. At the same time, obviously it’s nice to have really nice toys, but within reason. That said, I would still rather spend money on the best hardtail I can afford, than fork out (pun intended) on a mediocre dual suss.

However, if I could afford (justify) two mtbs for the same job, I’m not sure if I would go for one or each, or just have two kick ass hard tails......

last year we did a 4-day event in Igualada (Volcat).

75% of the field were on HTs. Rode with most of the female pros who were ALL on HTs!

also felt out on my dualie

Its weird in a way but its also pretty cool....and they so good on them! But yes really I am hunting for a decent deal on a frame and will convert. If need for anything again Ill move the parts back to the FS frame. 

Isn't South Africa just a classic case of 'all the gear no idea' in most sportsing fields?

Golf hackers playing off a 24 handicap with Nike Victory Red Line blades and 700 ProV1's..... 130kg pseudo pro cyclists with a coach, an S-works Epic, power meter and opinions on 'suspension feel'....... Kids with Adidas world cup rugby boots made from kangaroo leather in the u15c team.

Our culture here centres around the kit. I was raised the other way. If I can perform with crap kit and bog average equipment, then cool. It was always just embarrassing to me to be rubbish with the best kit.

Also, on a serious level, we have less harsh winters, which means our maintenance on bearings and linkage systems is marginal.

There it would be destroyed in the slushy snow mud and black mush.

I don’t think it’s a Saffa thing - I think it’s that by an large we’re a consumerist planet - travel the world surfing and from all over the world you’ll find surfers with the best kit and they’ll be rubbish - that transfers to all sports all over the world - people like to buy nice kit - needs are irrelevant.

Some like you haven’t bought into what’s being sold and good on you, that’s genuinely admirable

Others like me have been sucked right in with a bike for every occasion despite questionable skill

Luckily I view the need for other material things more in line with your bike philosophy

But it’s not just us fuelling dual sus sales that’s for sure

I am currently selling my Carbon 29 inch hardtail and it has blown my mind that even at a beyond fair price tag my bike is not moving and generating such low interest...

I am currently selling my Carbon 29 inch hardtail and it has blown my mind that even at a beyond fair price tag my bike is not moving and generating such low interest...

looked at your ad now and the pricing is fair. Also change your text to not say "full 12spd gx" as you are using an NX cassette.

Recently switched from a full sus to this beast and couldn't be happier - 160mm of steamrolling radness. Ups the ante on the trail and is such a fun ride! Hardtails certainly aren't dead IMO

attachicon.gifEFFECTS.jpg

Lekker rig. been lusting after a Hornet forever now.