Are Hardtails dead?

T_Boss

And she is done. The dropper's internal routing had me busy for some time as I did not want to change the frame in any way!

Looks cool [emoji106]

Can you load some pics of how you routed the dropper cable?

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you looking for a Highball Frame?

Not really looking but that frame was a good deal! And it was 9mm QR which is what I currently use.

Looks cool [emoji106]

Can you load some pics of how you routed the dropper cable?

don't have pictures unfortunately but had to remove bb and the fork in the end. If you have a decent cable housing connector not the ???? one I had it would have been a much easier and quicker job.

Not really looking but that frame was a good deal! And it was 9mm QR which is what I currently use.

I’m in the process of N - 1. I have a Highball 1 carbon. If you’re interested, drop me a message.

My racy XC hardtail. Usually weighs 10kg, but since we’re not racing it is fitted with a Vittora Agarro on the front and Barzo on the rear. Very lekker grippy. Taking her to Thaba or any other rocky place to play this week.

post-39356-0-51518700-1590926999_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Foxy_Roxy

will make a nice flat bar gravel bike  :ph34r:

giant have a stunning looking XCO spec hardtail...very impressive looking....but Specialized are unique...but i can never afford one in a decent spec...

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know how I missed this thread, love reading everyones experience with various bikes. 

I was fortunate, as I am proudly mamil, taking advantage of my midlife crisis would of been easy. 

But the bike shop in Edenvale was switched on, realised I was a noob, and went straight to the hard tails, even though I would of taken a full sis, with much level headed advice I chose a Scott scale 2020 midrange spex, installed dropper post, 1x11. 

Extremely happy so far, have done a number of local trails, all my riding mates, on dual, I keep up mostly, my fitness and lack of experience is my limiting factors for now, but have never felt I was being left wanting, because of the bike. I am 43 but don't feel too beat up after rides.

I was fully expecting to add a dual suspension by now, but the triathlon bug bit, and well damn I didn't know what I was walking into, so added a road bike midrange instead, now can concentrate on a dual if needed, but suspect I need a lot more riding under the belt. 

Outside of cost, choosing a dual is like my lady asking me to choose her gynecologist, the sheer volume of choices,  steep price tags, no intimate knowledge of the pros and cons. 

But for now, I still turn around and stare at the beauty of my scale, much the same way I do my jeep, then I know I have done my heart proud and no regrets, for now I am going to power through, gain experience, have fun, crash a lot. 

Hopefully intime when my bank balance has recovered from my triathlon mid life crisis, a lot more time in the saddle on my scale, I will add a dual to the ever growing addiction of bikes. 

Loving every aspect of riding at the moment, and the scale puts a smile on my face everytime, or maybe just the mere fact of being out on the trail, blessed with the ability to enjoy it regardless of bike. 

Was a great topic, thank you, especially from an SA focused community.

I wanted to upgrade my Alu Scott 940 Scale and had the same problem - no decent Carbon HT's available with the spec I wanted.  So I  brought a Carbon HT frame in from China - It cost me R5000.  I took the seatpost, bars and stem from my Alu Scott 940, as well as the XT cranks and RD.  Bought a set of used XT brakes and an XTR FD (for dirt cheap because everyone is going 1x), and a really decent Reba RL fork (because everyone is going Boost and the frame is non-boost).  Throw in a few odds and ends and I have a really nice HT for around R12k (obviously excluding the R16k I paid for the Scott in 2016).  And I really enjoyed building it.

It's a really aggressive frame, so takes some getting used to, and I can't comment on the durability because I have only ridden it a few times, but so far, so good.....

As I sit here typing I am nursing a nice roastie and very bruised ribs.  Turns out sitting on an indoor trainer for 6 weeks and then jumping on your new MTB with a frame that feels like the front end dimensions are off a road bike is a recipe for disaster.  My ambition outweighed my talent.

Good news is that it looks like it crashes really well!

Then there are the boutique steel options, owned by aficionado's, usually sold as a frame only option and built up with love and care with Pikey Hope Bling and 4 pot brakes. 

Mostly these days these are 'hardcore' hardtail enduro machines with long, slow, slack geo and a penchant for hooning.

post-47041-0-42465300-1591383101_thumb.jpeg
Guilty as charged. Except I sold my cotic soul frame. Steel (check, but now sold), Hope (check), 4 pot brakes (on my wish list), pike (also on the wishlist but I'm probably too poor). This bike completes me. I'm a little off form but frankly this bike makes me want to get out a lot more often.

Hard tails aren't dead. 26 might be.

I don't know how I missed this thread, love reading everyones experience with various bikes...

Was a great topic, thank you, especially from an SA focused community.

Had you not resurrected this thread I would also never have seen it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. So thanks for that.