Are Hardtails dead?

T_Boss

Can't agree with you on the HTA, especially on a HT. Mine is 65 unloaded. Sit on the bike and it loses a degree or two because its a HT. A decent hardcore HT should have a 63 degree HTA. As for the steering on a climb, what about  "balance and upskill" for that too? 

Aren't HA measured in sag?

So your 65' bwcomes 66.3 with 25% sag............... 

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had my fair share of bikes, when it comes to XCO or any stage race up to 3 days  i have always done them on a hard tail, i find them far more responsive and they climb like mountain goats .

oh and they are easy to service .

i suppose its simply a personal thing  

my current ht

post-8504-0-84663900-1594189393_thumb.jpg

Admin can close and delete this thread.  Hardtails will never be dead.  End of discussion. 

Well, maybe they will be dead if there is flying bicycles, but they will still be hardtails.

I just loved how Anne Terpstra and Barbara Benko were going to race Tankwa on their hardtails to prove a point. Even the Epic has been done on hardtails. With enough conditioning, it can be done. It’s just perception and marketing (maybe one influences the other).

I have had my fair share of bikes, when it comes to XCO or any stage race up to 3 days  i have always done them on a hard tail, i find them far more responsive and they climb like mountain goats .

oh and they are easy to service .

i suppose its simply a personal thing  

my current ht

That's a sweet machine! Merida really is an under rated and under represented product.

So here is a question. What is considered to be a good head angle (okay I know a bike is the sum of it’s parts but it’s a good start) for a HT.

There are a lot of longer / slacker HTs about but if you look at the Momsen steel it’s ‘longer slacker’ is about 69 degrees, the big wig is 68 and quite a few new frames sit in that 67 / 69 range.

I think that a 66 / 67 is a good start for a trail bike an 67 is almost a magic point for ‘fun’ bikes. You have to work hard as a frame designer to be good around 64 degrees.

My numbers are 66.5 H/a and 73 S/a (numbers are unloaded). 120mm fork, with 1 spacer added to the factory installed 2, i.e. 3. The additional spacer let me ride higher in the travel on rough sections when you need a slacker geometry, as such I would even consider adding a 4th whilst decreasing the air with circa 5-7psi. 

A lesser than 66 H/a could potentially compromise reach length. I suppose it depends on the designer's skill to enable bringing the seat over the BB. 

Wow.... never expected this thread to become such a big one.... after starting the thread a few months ago, circumstances have seen me ending up with only one bike, and it’s a dual susser. But this thread gives me loads of hard tail envy. As soon as finances allow, and stock actually reached out shores.... I’m defiantly getting another bike, and it will be a hardtail.

I just loved how Anne Terpstra and Barbara Benko were going to race Tankwa on their hardtails to prove a point. Even the Epic has been done on hardtails. With enough conditioning, it can be done. It’s just perception and marketing (maybe one influences the other).

Lots of things can be done on a variety of bikes but just because you can do it doesn't mean its the best tool for the job. Multi day events wear you down 1 day at a time, the fresher you can keep yourself, the better you will be on day 7. At the sharp end of the field, those margains are so slender that a slightly less fatigued body can be the difference between a podium and a 4th place.

Hardtails remain awesome... just chose your terrain.

I really miss my Jamis Komodo. Perfect little all day on the trails and rip down the other side kinda bike.

Built up 1x9 with a dropper post. So much fun.

Pyga Zero x 2. Mine's the silver one!

So the other one is going spare, unattended .....  :ph34r: 

The raw finish with clear coat is sublime.

danger dassie, on 17 Jul 2020 - 5:21 PM, said:

So the other one is going spare, unattended ..... :ph34r:

The raw finish with clear coat is sublime.

Green one belongs to my bike wife.

Just wish Pat would make more of these, or do something in steel at their new factory.

Don't know if any of you have seen the post from Dave Mercer, but he is offering a bike building course. Perfect opportunity to get the bike of your dreams!

Tom

Green one belongs to my bike wife.

Just wish Pat would make more of these, or do something in steel at their new factory.

Don't know if any of you have seen the post from Dave Mercer, but he is offering a bike building course. Perfect opportunity to get the bike of your dreams!

Tom

Flipping awesome!