• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a Bianchi road bike

Momsen gravel

Norco dual

Next on my lisT is a hard tail for commuting to work and back

Question for people to ponder. For WC trails what frame out of these would you go for: 

- Cotic Solaris Max 2020

- Cotic BFe Max 2020

- Ribble 725

- One One Hello Dave

- Moxie Pipe Dream

- Cromag Root Down 2020

- Nordest Bardino 2

- Ragley Big Wig

- Cromag Doctahawk
- Pace Rc529
- Transition Throttle (not made any more but but should be able to find a run out or 2nd hand. Only carbon on the list. It is a 27.5 and that could be an issue)

- Edit: How could If forget. Banshee Paradox. This would be front and centre but it's as rare as rocking horse doodoo.

Outside contenders: 
- Kingdom Vendetta Ti (only on the alternate as it's double the rest of others but a steal in the world of Ti hard tails)
- Stanton Switch9er (is an older model that is due for an update in next 6 month)
- Kona Honzo (alternate as it's expensive and needs an update which is coming soon apparently)
- Meta AM (alternate as I've ridden is before and found ot pretty harsh and twitchy when going fast)
- Nukeproof Scout (only on the alternate as it's Alu. If CRC have them on sale it's back up the list)
- Bird Zero (alu but cheeks and fun)
- Cutis AM7 Custom (alternate because it's nearly the price of a Vendetta, it's 650b and double most frames on the list)

Edited by Dirt Tracker

Lekker Je Roam. I have the right frame for that fork... Eksemaarnet.

Naught Tchjina ... that fork is staying (Well for now at least that is :P )

Ribble!

Question for people to ponder. For WC trails what frame out of these would you go for: 

- Cotic Solaris Max 2020

- Cotic BFe Max 2020

- Ribble 725

- One One Hello Dave

- Moxie Pipe Dream

- Cromag Root Down 2020

- Nordest Bardino 2

- Ragley Big Wig

- Cromag Doctahawk
- Pace Rc529
- Transition Throttle (not made any more but but should be able to find a run out or 2nd hand. Only carbon on the list. It is a 27.5 and that could be an issue)

- Edit: How could If forget. Banshee Paradox. This would be front and centre but it's as rare as rocking horse doodoo.

Outside contenders: 
- Kingdom Vendetta Ti (only on the alternate as it's double the rest of others but a steal in the world of Ti hard tails)
- Stanton Switch9er (is an older model that is due for an update in next 6 month)
- Kona Honzo (alternate as it's expensive and needs an update which is coming soon apparently)
- Meta AM (alternate as I've ridden is before and found ot pretty harsh and twitchy when going fast)
- Nukeproof Scout (only on the alternate as it's Alu. If CRC have them on sale it's back up the list)
- Cutis AM7 Custom (alternate because it's nearly the price of a Vendetta, it's 650b and double most frames on the list)

- Cotic Solaris Max 2020

- Cotic BFe Max 2020

- Ribble 725

- One One Hello Dave

- Moxie Pipe Dream

- Cromag Root Down 2020

- Nordest Bardino 2

- Ragley Big Wig

- Cromag Doctahawk

- Pace Rc529

Outside contenders: 

Can Mercer not slap something together for you that would cover the best of any of those bikes that interest you?

Then you can also go the custom Marino https://www.marinobike.com/ or full hog custom Ti bike from Calculus https://www.calculus-bikes.com/

Can Mercer not slap something together for you that would cover the best of any of those bikes that interest you?

Then you can also go the custom Marino https://www.marinobike.com/ or full hog custom Ti bike from Calculus https://www.calculus-bikes.com/

I’ve done the numbers with those guys and as much as I’d love to go that route, keeping it local and the rest ends up with it being cheaper to go over seas. Even for the same frames you can buy from the likes of kona etc let alone the likes of Mercer and the rest. Sure I’d love to give him my madibas but I’m not able to pay 1/3 more just because.

Even a custom Ti frame from EU comes in

around the same randelas as a local steely custom. An off the peg Uk vs local builder off the peg is significant.

I’ve done the numbers with those guys and as much as I’d love to go that route, keeping it local and the rest ends up with it being cheaper to go over seas. Even for the same frames you can buy from the likes of kona etc let alone the likes of Mercer and the rest. Sure I’d love to give him my madibas but I’m not able to pay 1/3 more just because.

Even a custom Ti frame from EU comes in

around the same randelas as a local steely custom. An off the peg Uk vs local builder off the peg is significant.

Someone was telling me in the week you can do a frame building course at Mercer ... have not followed up on this, but it could be an interesting way to build your own bike ?

Someone was telling me in the week you can do a frame building course at Mercer ... have not followed up on this, but it could be an interesting way to build your own bike ?

Now that would be pretty special. Not too sure I’d 100% believe in something I’d made

myself for the first time as I fired down status quo.

Dave got back to me. It will be around R20k for the course and frame.

Tom

Dave got back to me. It will be around R20k for the course and frame.

Tom

Where in SA will this happen ?

Sounds like a bucket list item for anybody with some tools ...