[Event] Human Rights Cycle Tour

samir@myphotocorner.co.za

Event Name: Human Rights Cycle Tour
When: 29 March 2020
Where: Grand Parade Cape Town, Western Cape
Category: Road

Set your heart racing – ride for human rights. This is our official theme for the Human Rights Cycle Tour (HRCT). Cycling is a centuries-long mode of transport, an excellent form of exercise and, above all, a symbol of freedom through movement. Its symbolism is significantly enhanced by the rich history of struggle for human rights in South Africa. The HRCT route is a ± 85km event and traverses major human rights memorials and landmarks, including the Cape Town Parade, the Castle of Good Hope, the Slave Route, to the site of the Trojan Horse massacre in Athlone where blood was shed in the quest for justice, equality and dignity for all. However, the HRCT, through the work of the Human Rights Centre, is an event that goes beyond the memorialisation of the heroic struggles of the past. It also foregrounds the contemporary global human rights agenda.

Why take part on the Human Rights Cycle Tour?

Upholding human rights and human dignity is the concern of every human being and includes the right to freedom of social interaction. Similarly, enjoying sport is also the right of every human being and includes the right to a healthy lifestyle through sport. The two rights are universal and converge naturally. Cycling is a global phenomenon as a mode of transport, a leisure activity and as a serious sport. The pre-eminence of human rights and the merits of cycling are undisputed.

So, you need NOT be a cyclist to support the HRCT. The sole qualification is to be human, for human beings are naturally concerned about the right to basic freedoms such as health through leisure and sport.

Go to Event Page

• 2 weeks later...

I see the event has been cancelled. Not in the least surprised...

Maybe a lesson to wannabe organisers who think you can just draw up any any random route on Google Maps and all the approvals will magically fall in place...

tbf even the experienced CTCT guys made the same mistake when they planned a short route race for the day before CTCT 

Press Release

PRESS RELEASE – 10 Feb 2020
The first ever Human Rights Cycle Tour (HRCT) of South Africa is cancelled.
It is with great regret, and concern, that we, the Exco of the HRCT, make this announcement.
This decision was taken after 20 months of planning and negotiation with various stakeholders to
bring the first event of its kind to the African continent.

The race was envisaged as a tribute to the countless South Africans who have made the ultimate
sacrifice for our freedom from the darkness of apartheid and other human rights abuses. So our
regret extends not only to our supporters and well-wishers, but particularly to our sponsors and
media partners who embraced the event and selflessly committed to it their valuable resources.
In this respect we gratefully acknowledge the magnanimity of Retro Active, Busy Corner Meat
Hyper, Jive (The Beverage Company) and our media partners Cape Times (Independent
Newspapers), Smile 90.4FM and iTV.

In addition, we thank the many thousands of cyclists who have shown interest to participate in
this event. Many of them, nationally and internationally.

Given the gravity and austerity of our decision, we are obliged to expound. At the heart of our
decision is our challenge of dealing with the City’s bureaucracy. After submitting 17 versions of
our race route over several months, our committee found that the repeated refutation of the City
to officially approve the event had turned into an impasse.
In addition, the Special Events Committee (SPEVCO) of the City had not met our expectation for
financial assistance in covering the costs for traffic personnel, SAPS, Disaster Management, etc.
in the amount of hundreds of thousands of Rands. We deemed a reasonable expectation due
SPEVCO’s routine support other similar events.
Another contributing factor was the reneging of one of our platinum sponsors on their financial
commitment to the event.
Finally, MiCity approved only the outgoing lane from Christiaan Barnard to Paarden Eiland. They
refused to approve both lanes for the event from 6:30am-9:00am. With thousands of cyclists
going through the lane our technical team is of the view that we will be putting cyclists at risk
should we go ahead using one lane only.
The compounded impact of the above left the Exco of the HRCT with no option but to cancel the
event.
We wish to assure everyone who has entered that their entry fees will be refunded in full.
Yours faithfully,
Mohamed Jaffer
Chairman – Human Rights Cycle Tour

I see the event has been cancelled. Not in the least surprised...

Maybe a lesson to wannabe organisers who think you can just draw up any any random route on Google Maps and all the approvals will magically fall in place...

tbf even the experienced CTCT guys made the same mistake when they planned a short route race for the day before CTCT 

Also still happening, also strangely also ends at a Bootlegger :P

https://www.strava.com/clubs/21210/group_events/588665