International travel through OR Tambo

T_Boss

Not really cycling related, but hoping someone on here with experience can advise me.

Normally ORT is my final destination on an international flight, from where I transfer to the Domestic check in, and carry on to Cape Town...... but a business trip in 2 weeks time sees me flying from Europe back in to ORT and then on to a connecting flight to Botswana, but on a different airline.

So I need to collect my luggage on arrival in ORT, but from there, where do I go to check in to the next flight? Do I need to clear customs and go back into the airport departure side, and then re-check in and clear customs again, or is there a route to collect your luggage, and then check in to your next flight, without first clearing customs and passport control?

You will clear Customs and passport control upon entering the building. It will literally be your first port of call. Then, it's on to get your luggage. Since you are now officially back in SA, you will need to go to the top floor and do the whole bit in reverse again. There is no way of getting around it that I am aware of.

never mind. ignore my silliness.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

No, you won’t need to clear Customs at OR TAMBO. All international transfers are done before the Customs Area, so you will collect, transfer and check-in on the international airside.

Will be a breeze. Rest easy ;-)

You will clear Customs and passport control upon entering the building. It will literally be your first port of call. Then, it's on to get your luggage. Since you are now officially back in SA, you will need to go to the top floor and do the whole bit in reverse again. There is no way of getting around it that I am aware of.

Actually, since it’s an International Transfer it all gets done on the airside, prior to Customs

The International Transfer pax does not use the same check-in counters as the landside pax

Edited by RoddieJ

Actually, since it’s an International Transfer it all gets done on the airside, prior to Customs

The International Transfer pax does not use the same check-in counters as the landside pax

ha, you learn something new each day. I doff my cap at this pearl of wisdom sir. 

Thanks. I assumed it would be something like that....just never paid attention before.done it in other airports, just never at ORT

Not really cycling related, but hoping someone on here with experience can advise me.

Normally ORT is my final destination on an international flight, from where I transfer to the Domestic check in, and carry on to Cape Town...... but a business trip in 2 weeks time sees me flying from Europe back in to ORT and then on to a connecting flight to Botswana, but on a different airline.

So I need to collect my luggage on arrival in ORT, but from there, where do I go to check in to the next flight? Do I need to clear customs and go back into the airport departure side, and then re-check in and clear customs again, or is there a route to collect your luggage, and then check in to your next flight, without first clearing customs and passport control?

When you disembark from the bus after you go through the doors keep left

It's all signposted

Book your luggage through

If you can't book your luggage through then you will have to go through passport control first

Damn. That is what I was hoping to avoid. Charging airlines, and tickets booked separately, so no way to check luggage all the way

Damn. That is what I was hoping to avoid. Charging airlines, and tickets booked separately, so no way to check luggage all the way

Think the transfer deskes you will use then are just on the left, after customs but before you exit the doors to the large meeting hall.