Spez Shiv Elite / rim brake versions of Shiv 2016 onwards. Who's riding one?

Riaan H

Hey

I am looking at getting myself a dedicated triathlon bike and am thinking of getting a rim brake Shiv later in the year, I know the current Expert Disc is fantastic but R 140k is never going to happen on my budget.

Based on my figures I would have to get a Small of which there are very few used one's for sale so would likely end up buying a 2020 Elite which comes with mostly 105 parts and goes for R50k. 

I know that in that price range there are other options like a Giant Trinity or Argon18 E117 that run a 105/Ultegra mix, or for R65k even an E117 with disc brakes. Great bikes and all but I'm a Spez fan so would prefer to keep it in the family so to  speak.I don't however have the finances to buy twice though.

My question is therefore addressed to Hubbers who own or have ridden 2016 on-wards Shiv's. What do you think about your bikes, what's the ride like, how do you find the Fuelselage, how easily do they travel etc?

Tnx

I bought a new Shiv Elite in early 2019. I am very happy with the bike, and I would make the same choice if I had to buy again now. I have no experience with any of the other brands, so I cannot compare. My choice of Shiv basically boiled down to the fact that my LBS is a Specialized dealer.

I have a set of Roval CLX wheels on it, and I'm very happy with those. At the time of my purchase, I was also concerned about missing out on getting a bike with disc brakes, but I figured that I had been riding with rim brakes for 30+ years and they were fine all that time so shouldn't be a problem. The Fuelselage is ok, it's a bit fiddly, and I only use water in it. I have a bottle cage that I carry a single bottle of a carb mix for a 70.3 event.

The bike travels well, although I have nothing to compare it to.

To give you and idea of the level I compete at; I'm 54, I've been doing this for a long time, approximately a 5.50 time for 70.3 distance.

This is the perfect bike for me, it is Fast, and it stops well. I'm a happy Shiv owner.

I bought a new Shiv Elite in early 2019. I am very happy with the bike, and I would make the same choice if I had to buy again now. I have no experience with any of the other brands, so I cannot compare. My choice of Shiv basically boiled down to the fact that my LBS is a Specialized dealer.

I have a set of Roval CLX wheels on it, and I'm very happy with those. At the time of my purchase, I was also concerned about missing out on getting a bike with disc brakes, but I figured that I had been riding with rim brakes for 30+ years and they were fine all that time so shouldn't be a problem. The Fuelselage is ok, it's a bit fiddly, and I only use water in it. I have a bottle cage that I carry a single bottle of a carb mix for a 70.3 event.

The bike travels well, although I have nothing to compare it to.

To give you and idea of the level I compete at; I'm 54, I've been doing this for a long time, approximately a 5.50 time for 70.3 distance.

This is the perfect bike for me, it is Fast, and it stops well. I'm a happy Shiv owner.

Much appreciated! 

We already have a Camber, Epic, HotRock & RipRock in the house so I was already very keen on the Shiv, now I'm certain as your feedback is similar to what I have read. 

Edited by Riaan H

I have the slightly older version (2014), and I really enjoy the bike. It's stiff, without being uncomfortable and its quick (not sure what the difference is between the new version and mine).

I haven't ridden any other TT bikes, but I can definitely give this one a thumbs up. 

As already mentioned, it's not necessary to have disc brakes, especially for a TT bike (most of the time you are riding on your own anyway)

*Edit: Just Googled the new Shiv elite and it looks identical to my older model.

Edited by Schnavel

I have the slightly older version (2014), and I really enjoy the bike. It's stiff, without being uncomfortable and its quick (not sure what the difference is between the new version and mine).

I haven't ridden any other TT bikes, but I can definitely give this one a thumbs up. 

As already mentioned, it's not necessary to have disc brakes, especially for a TT bike (most of the time you are riding on your own anyway)

*Edit: Just Googled the new Shiv elite and it looks identical to my older model.

Tnx Schnavel

Yeah tbh I read somewhere that there was a small change at some point but have no clue what (if anything relevant) was changed. The Shiv seems to be like the Cervelo P2 which has been largely unchanged for many years. 

I hear you about the brakes, maybe just too used to the serious stoppers on my mtb, my road bike always feels a little dangerous when it comes to slowing down, although on a tri bike I suppose the whole point would be not to use the brakes.