Consequences of 8 speed 11-32 to 11-42

johanhorak

Hi

I would like to add more granny abilities to my wife's bike.

BTW Single in the front. I suppose I can go smaller here as my wife is not into speed.

Changing to 11-34T cassette should not be a problem but I am not sure if this small change will make a massive difference.????

I am told going to a 11-42T would need a derailleur and longer chain. Also, I could only find 11 42 at Ebay or AliExpress.

If I buy a 42 what else should I buy? How do I ask for a derailleur going with a 42?

????????????

buy a hanger extender from Rapide, it works, I installed one with a short cage X0 derailleur and a 10spd 11-46 cassette.

https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-derailleur-hanger-extender/

Hi

BTW Single in the front. I suppose I can go smaller here as my wife is not into speed.

Changing to 11-34T cassette should not be a problem but I am not sure if this small change will make a massive difference.

I am told going to a 11-42T would need a derailleur and longer chain. Also, I could only find 11 42 at Ebay or AliExpress.

If I buy a 42 what else should I buy? How do I ask for a derailleur going with a 42?

Shimano has the HG500 a 10 speed 11-42 T cassette which is very affordable. 10 speed derailleur and shifter should be cheap here in the classifieds.

I'm currently running this setup.

You would need to also buy a derailleur extender, many of the sellers on Aliexpress give this for free with the cassette. I have used a few of these and they work very well. You would not need to change your derailleur.

There is a little less chain wrap around the cassette if you use a derailleur extender, this means that if you chain or cassette is worn, it would be more likely to slip. But if all is fine, then it would be OK.

Excellent. Thanks. Many more options than I thought. Appreciated. I'll investigate these options.

Interesting to not mess around with 8 speed but to go for the shifters, derailleur and cassette.

Hi this sounds pretty simple. I need to check what a derailleur extender is.

You stuck to 8 speed or your original cassette? And did not need anything else? Gathering from what you said I need nothing else.

I think I must get the tools to do this. I checked a few videos on how to do it and looks like a need some or other chain clamping tool. Could be fun.

You would need to also buy a derailleur extender, many of the sellers on Aliexpress give this for free with the cassette. I have used a few of these and they work very well. You would not need to change your derailleur.

There is a little less chain wrap around the cassette if you use a derailleur extender, this means that if you chain or cassette is worn, it would be more likely to slip. But if all is fine, then it would be OK.

Edited by johanhorak

Hi Johan. My bike used to be a 3x10 with 11-36 at the back. I replaced my tripple with a single blade and installed a 10spd wide ratio cassette with 11-46 tooth. With that big sprocket at the back my existing derailleur wouldnt shift onto the 46 so in order to achieve that i simply installed the hanger extender and thus i could re-use my existing derailleur. The extender simply enables a short cage derailleur to be shifted onto larger sprockets than what it was designed for. The installation is simple, just remove the derailleur and install the extender. I made a thread of my “budget 3x10 to 1x10 conversion” with pics.

You stuck to 8 speed or your original cassette? And did not need anything else? Gathering from what you said I need nothing else.

I think I must get the tools to do this. I checked a few videos on how to do it and looks like a need some or other chain clamping tool. Could be fun.

I see the other hubbers have answered your question about the extender, just in case, here is a link.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32893307679.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.43fcefe6ScP3dv&algo_pvid=129332cb-cf69-434f-9f16-1e8237835efe&algo_expid=129332cb-cf69-434f-9f16-1e8237835efe-0&btsid=d896cc58-f9ce-4c36-912d-2a6512c1969f&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_6,searchweb201603_53

Hi

Changing to 11-34T cassette should not be a problem but I am not sure if this small change will make a massive difference.????

????????????

What chain ring is currently on?

26" wheels or 29?

Make that smaller if she's not hitting top end yet. A shift to 11-42 from 11-32 is the same as moving the chain ring from 34 to 26. 26/11 you will spin out at about 27km/h

Play around here.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html