Merida onetwenty 6000/scott spark 930 or cypher onetwenty

Nicomrs

Hi All,

I currently have a merida onetwenty 600 with upgraded flow weels and hope hubs weighing in at 15kg. 

i want to upgrade to something lighter thats able to do the epic but also do some light enduro events. My current merida does well its just too heavy.

3 options im looking at is the following.

Merida onetwenty 6000

Scott spark 930(gx fitted)

Titan cypher elite carbon

Whats the thought on these.

Thanks

I would say you could upgrade some of the parts on your bike and cut down possibly 2-3kg? and this could work out cheaper than just buying a new lighter bike? I would venture a guess but buying a good set of wheels could probably make a significant difference, those stock merida rims on the 120 is not light.

I would say you could upgrade some of the parts on your bike and cut down possibly 2-3kg? and this could work out cheaper than just buying a new lighter bike? I would venture a guess but buying a good set of wheels could probably make a significant difference, those stock merida rims on the 120 is not light.

My merida 600 already has upgraded wheels and still 15kg. 

Get super light racing wheels with xc tyres. Get a lightweight cassette and chain which you use with the xc wheelset. And there you have 2 bikes in one. An XX1 cassette and some very light wheels and you can drop a few kilos.

damn, thats usually one of the best items to upgrade that also reduces bike weight. the bikes you listed as alternatives only seem to be slightly lighter than your bike, ±2kg. If you want a significant reduction in weight, you are probably looking at SWorks or something, R100k plus. Scott Spark RC, Merida 120 RC, those are all around 10kg if my memory serves me correctly. You didn't state your budget but from the choices listed I'm guessing its around 50k. Maybe try the secondhand market?

Trail bikes are more robust as they have to be, hence they weigh more. Unless you don't mind splashing R100k plus.

Unless you go HT trail, but hardtails are not everyone's cup of tea.

Spending R40k to save 1-2kgs is not something I would consider worth while, which is what it looks like going from the 120-600 to the 120-6000. just my opinion.

My merida 600 already has upgraded wheels and still 15kg. 

Edited by gemmerbal

Hi All,

I currently have a merida onetwenty 600 with upgraded flow weels and hope hubs weighing in at 15kg. 

i want to upgrade to something lighter thats able to do the epic but also do some light enduro events. My current merida does well its just too heavy.

3 options im looking at is the following.

Merida onetwenty 6000

Scott spark 930(gx fitted)

Titan cypher elite carbon

Whats the thought on these.

Thanks

Titan Cypher - very well speced and priced

Current generation Epics and Scalpels are way more capable than they were in previous generations. Still, neither of those can be considered viable bikes for enduro type riding, otherwise I'd have suggested just getting a used version (albeit more in the R70k bracket for a properly light one) but neither would be likely be capable enough for you.

Getting something way more capable of course comes with a big weight penalty unless you go top end in which case you are looking at more like R 140k.

Do you know what your current wheelset and tyres weigh? I'm guessing they are very much trail orientated and while good quality and stout probably quite heavy? Perhaps a XC orientated wheelset plus some skinnier, lighter tyres will do the trick.

Going to the carbon Merida will save a kilo just in terms of the frame, so still 14kg odd. The Spark will still be close to 14kg out the box. Unless you want to pay big ZARs and get something like a top spec Tallboy, Ripley or Trance 29 Advanced I don't think there is a cheap way to "fix" this and meet your requirements

Edited by the_bob

true, true. but it is a Canyon... :)

it was just the first one that came to mind. im sure there are more options in the HT 120mm travel + Dropper Post category? the Momsen range comes to mind?

the OP's conundrum is real though: wanting a trail bike but it must be able to allow you to go for a grind every now and then, without weighing a ton.

whats that saying: cheap/light/affordable - pick 2.

+ R4k shipping + R3750 Duties + R4750 VAT

Ends up much closer to R40k when it gets to your door

it was just the first one that came to mind. im sure there are more options in the HT 120mm travel + Dropper Post category? the Momsen range comes to mind?

the OP's conundrum is real though: wanting a trail bike but it must be able to allow you to go for a grind every now and then, without weighing a ton.

Are cheap and affordable not the same thing? ????????????

I might have botched that one up then ????. Affordable/light/quality?

Are cheap and affordable not the same thing? ????????????

I was not knocking your suggestion at all, I love Canyons (I have 2). I was just pointing out that it is actually a lot more expensive than it first appears on the website.