[Event] Swartberg 100 Gran Fondo 2020

@BigJohnSwan

Event Name: Swartberg 100 Gran Fondo 2020
When: 25 April 2020
Where: Prince Albert, Western Cape
Category: Cyclocross

• 171 kilometres, 3000 metres of ascent, 79 kilometres of gravel in 3 Sectors.
  • The start gun goes at 7am (Sunrise)
  • ​The last 2 km to the Swartberg summit is at an average gradient of 12%
  • The summit is at the 150km mark, from there it's a nail-biting 20km descent into Prince Albert
  • Cut off at the end is at 5pm
  • ​Finishing this race is an achievement.

Go to Event Page

I need a proper gravel bike to give this another go. Gone are the days when we could just pitch up with a regular mountain bike with knobblies. 

I need a proper gravel bike to give this another go. Gone are the days when we could just pitch up with a regular mountain bike with knobblies. 

Well there goes my plan :-(

Loved it last year, nice an easy start on the tar, everybody full of beans giggles and laughs till the first gravel section starts.

All hell brakes loose, like the attack on Pearl Habour,I didn't see that coming.... :w00t:

I did it on my mtb, but with skinny tyres (panneracer gravel kings 700 x 42) 36 x 10/42

The descent after cresting the pass is INSANE!!!

A must do guys and girls :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I am keen on (finally) getting to the start of this one after a few mishaps on the way in earlier years.

Is there anybody considering doing the relay but does not have a partner ? 

I have a (woman) friend who is keen on riding, but not the whole thing and would be happy to ride the second stage if she can find a rolleur to do the first. (Or she will do the first if someone wants to do the pass).

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

As yet we don't know how long the 100 persons max ruling on events will last. We are hoping it's for 30 days like the other rulings, but we will hear more today from the cabinet apparently.

We are hoping that things will have changed in the positive in 6 weeks time, and that we will be able to run the event.

regards

John Swanepoel, Race Director

STERKTE!

Hi All,

As yet we don't know how long the 100 persons max ruling on events will last. We are hoping it's for 30 days like the other rulings, but we will hear more today from the cabinet apparently.

We are hoping that things will have changed in the positive in 6 weeks time, and that we will be able to run the event.

regards

Hi John, I got news that the newly repaired lower part of the Swartberg Pass washed away again last weekend. Is it true? Or did someone without a sense of humour pull my leg? 

John has other ( Corona ) worries at the moment . There was damage to the Pass but it is rideable and the damage will be repaired . The storm was Thursday night , I cycled it Friday morning .

Hi All,

regards

Start batches of 99.

#sendsinvoice

#payableinbeer

#evencorona

You can feel good about it because now your race is in the same category as Le Mans, the London Marathon, Formula 1........cancelled for the same reason........just wait, it may well be in the same category as the Olympic Games before this thing is over! :)  ;)