Pirelli Cinturato Velo Tubless

The Ouzo

5000+ km update.

Took the tyres off yesterday to check Enduro seal. I've been topping up every 3-6 months but this is the first time I've taken the tyres off to check.

Tyres show signs of small cuts but never a puncture.

At one stage last year whilst commuting in the dark I hit something with the front wheel hard enough to throw me momentarily off course. At the time there was evidence of it on the side of the tyre but it wiped away. With the tyre off yesterday I noticed a dent in the rim where I must have hit the object.

An hour or 2 of getting sealant snot off the beading of the tyres, a trip to the local filling station to use the compressed air to seat the tyres and they're good to go again.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ProBikeGarage says I've done 6126km on the Pirelli's.

Both tyres are showing a large number of small cuts (probably from all the glass in the roads), but the rear has tiny traces of sealant on a number of those spots.

I dont seem to be losing pressure any quicker yet, but its time to start looking around for good pricing on a replacement set.

Still very happy with them and will replace with the same.

They've been popping up on Takealot sales from time to time.

Normal price around 750-800 which isn't bad, but around 550-600 occasionally.

Keep an eye on their current birthday sale.

4 minutes ago, Thomo said:

They've been popping up on Takealot sales from time to time.

Normal price around 750-800 which isn't bad, but around 550-600 occasionally.

Keep an eye on their current birthday sale.

exactly the plan. I've actually put it in my basket so should get a notification when the price changes

• 4 months later...
19 minutes ago, ouzo said:

7586km later I have replaced them with another set. Had it not been for CTCT in 2 weeks I’d probably ride these further. 

the difference between used and new

CD105CF8-622F-4A85-A71D-C438EB945DA0.jpeg.734367463c917943a9f2b407f46875b2.jpeg

Awesome - thank you so much for sharing the feedback and your long term review with photos ????. What sealant are you using btw?

Just now, MDJ said:

Awesome - thank you so much for sharing the feedback and your long term review with photos ????. What sealant are you using btw?

I have been using Enduro seal, have my app set to remind me to top up every 6 months. There was still a fair amount of milky liquid in the tyres when I removed them, wether the sealant will seal or not I dont know, have not had to test it yet.

6 months is too long. Top up every 8 to 10 weeks. The water doesn't go anywhere but the solid does get centrifuged out and settles in the too that sticks tongue inside of the tyre

Is it possible that rolling resistance increases as tyres wear ?

Did my first ride on the new tyres this morning and I swear they felt like they rolled a hell of a lot easier. Maybe its just placebo.

so the rear is not holding air.

It was losing a bit of air overnight, but still have some pressure in the morning.

Thought it may be the valve core, so I changed that. Same thing.

So last night I removed the valve core, cleaned out the valve stem, re-inserted with valve core with a touch of copper slip on it.

I also checked the beading all around the tyre for leaks using soapy water. Pumped it to 120psi and left it over night.

This morning it is completely flat.

Have to get this sorted out tonight or tomorrow as the bike ships off to cape town sunday morning.

Any ideas ?

11 minutes ago, ouzo said:

so the rear is not holding air.

It was losing a bit of air overnight, but still have some pressure in the morning.

Thought it may be the valve core, so I changed that. Same thing.

So last night I removed the valve core, cleaned out the valve stem, re-inserted with valve core with a touch of copper slip on it.

I also checked the beading all around the tyre for leaks using soapy water. Pumped it to 120psi and left it over night.

This morning it is completely flat.

Have to get this sorted out tonight or tomorrow as the bike ships off to cape town sunday morning.

Any ideas ?

Did you perhaps hurt the rim tape a bit when changing the tire out? Gotta be either valve or tape. With tape you will notice dust collecting on the spike nipples (on a mtb at least).

Personally I hate rim tape. It is my main source of tubeless grief.

2 minutes ago, Knersboy said:

Did you perhaps hurt the rim tape a bit when changing the tire out? Gotta be either valve or tape. With tape you will notice dust collecting on the spike nipples (on a mtb at least).

Personally I hate rim tape. It is my main source of tubeless grief.

my thoughts are also on rim tape or not 100% seated properly.

I think to cover all bases I'll pop out later and get some new rim tape

Slow leaks can be difficult to locate.

Like Knersboy said, tape can often get damaged when replacing tyres or even just lift a bit from the rim.

Also check that the valve is still seated properly and that you're not losing air there.

Sometimes it also takes a few rides for the tyre to seat and seal properly.

Edited by Thomo

rim tape and complete new valves bought.

now to install tonight. biggest headache being that I need to head to the local petrol station to use their compressor.

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

rim tape and complete new valves bought.

now to install tonight. biggest headache being that I need to head to the local petrol station to use their compressor.

99% of the time it's rim tape. Funnily enough my road tire/wheel combo seals with a floor pomp straight away. For everything else I bought one of those air can boost things. Best 500zar I ever spent.

6 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

99% of the time it's rim tape. Funnily enough my road tire/wheel combo seals with a floor pomp straight away. For everything else I bought one of those air can boost things. Best 500zar I ever spent.

depending on wether I get it to hold air or not before I have to ship the bike down I might need to user your floor pump saturday evening or sunday morning. But that should be worst case scenario.