Pirelli Cinturato Velo Tubless

The Ouzo

3 minutes ago, ouzo said:

depending on wether I get it to hold air or not before I have to ship the bike down I might need to user your floor pump saturday evening or sunday morning. But that should be worst case scenario.

With pleasure!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rim tape is often the cause of a leak. When fitting new rim tape first fit a tube and inflate the tyre with the tube installed. The tube presses the rim tape down  more evenly. This irons out the wrinkles.

Leave it for a few hours. After this remove the tube, insert sealant and reinflate. Leaks should be cured.

Don;t inflate a road tubeless wheel to 120psi. You will distort the rim bed and that will slacken off the spokes.  The spokes will fatigue a lot faster this way.

90psi should be all you need, max

11 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Rim tape is often the cause of a leak. When fitting new rim tape first fit a tube and inflate the tyre with the tube installed. The tube presses the rim tape down  more evenly. This irons out the wrinkles.

Leave it for a few hours. After this remove the tube, insert sealant and reinflate. Leaks should be cured.

Don;t inflate a road tubeless wheel to 120psi. You will distort the rim bed and that will slacken off the spokes.  The spokes will fatigue a lot faster this way.

90psi should be all you need, max

thanks, will try the tube trick. I should have one lying around.

Also the spoke thing, I did feel the spokes felt on the slack side after inflation.

6 hours ago, ouzo said:

thanks, will try the tube trick. I should have one lying around.

Also the spoke thing, I did feel the spokes felt on the slack side after inflation.

Old rim tape cleaned off, old valve out, rim cleaned up nicely. 
new rim tape installed. (Had to trim it as it to wide)

new valve installed. 
actually for the tyre to seat with a track pump. First time I’ve managed to do that. 
fresh sealant added 

let’s see if it has held air tomorrow morning. 

And it did not work. 

air pressure was about 40psi when I got back from work yesterday, so pumped it up to 80psi and put the bike away. 

by the evening it was completely flat. 

pumped it before those mornings ride, by the time of got back I was on 30 psi. 
spent some time with soapy water but just could not figure out where the air was escaping. 
 As I was supposed to hand my bike in to the transport company between 10 and 11 I rushed off to cyclelab (because that is where the transport truck was going to be) and thankfully they were open. 
got them to sort it out. Turns out I’m not so good with the rim tape, the hole I made for the valve is the suspect, they put new rim tape for me and for me sorted. 
but

whilst I was there I picked up a tube and a lezyne sport drive. If I get to Cape Town and it’s flat I’ll have to put in the tube

6 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Turns out I’m not so good with the rim tape, the hole I made for the valve is the suspect, they put new rim tape for me and for me sorted. 

My earlier post suggested checking the seating of the valve ... been on the receiving end of that frustration often enough. ????

Either don't pierce the tape adequately or otherwise just not tightening the valve properly... ????‍♂️

I'm pro tubeless but it can sometimes be a pain.! ????

On 10/3/2021 at 2:34 PM, ouzo said:

And it did not work. 

air pressure was about 40psi when I got back from work yesterday, so pumped it up to 80psi and put the bike away. 

spent some time with soapy water but just could not figure out where the air was escaping. 
 As I was supposed to hand my bike in to the transport company between 10 and 11 I rushed off to cyclelab (because that is where the transport truck was going to be) and thankfully they were open. 
got them to sort it out. Turns out I’m not so good with the rim tape, the hole I made for the valve is the suspect, they put new rim tape for me and for me sorted. 
but

whilst I was there I picked up a tube and a lezyne sport drive. If I get to Cape Town and it’s flat I’ll have to put in the tube

The rim tape application has to be done carefully not wrinkles and don't make a large hole at the valve hole. The valve stem should fit snugly through the tape. 

Also when you apply the tape make sure to not start at the valve hole. I start the tape application at the opposite side of the rim 160 degrees away from the valeve hole and then finish 200 degrees away so theres a 40 degree overlap on the side opposite the valve hole.  

When you piece the rim tape there's more tape adhered to the rim so less chance of it lifting and creating a leaky channel. A hot soldering iron makes a nice hole and seals the ends too.... Just be careful with it....not so hot it melts the carbon fibres resin.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2021 at 2:34 PM, ouzo said:

And it did not work. 

but

How did it go?  Tubeless or tubed? 

1 minute ago, dsw said:

How did it go?  Tubeless or tubed? 

tubed.

Collected the bike from the transport company on saturday, wheel was flat.

We pumped it up there with their track pump and heard the pop of the tyre seating, 2 hours later i could feel the pressure was down again.

Thought about pumping it up at the start and chancing it but decided not want to take that chance and stuck a tube in.

Dropped the bike off at cycle lab on wednesday, picked it up yesterday. They changed the rim tape twice whilst it was with them.

Tyre was hard when i picked it up, they said it had been standing for 2 hours, tyre was still hard this morning before I left for work, so hopefully it is now sorted.

Tape leaks can be so frustrating.

Installation requires patience and allowing it to settle by using a tube is certainly a good idea.

The other thing is to get the valve hole pierced just right.

One day solid rim beds will be more common. ????

8 minutes ago, Thomo said:

Tape leaks can be so frustrating.

Installation requires patience and allowing it to settle by using a tube is certainly a good idea.

The other thing is to get the valve hole pierced just right.

One day solid rim beds will be more common. ????

i also suspect rubish rim tape. I dont know what they landed up using in the end, but I used their cycle lab branded tape, and they used that too when they re-did the tape the first time. To me it just looks like a narrower duct tape.

48 minutes ago, ouzo said:

tubed.

Collected the bike from the transport company on saturday, wheel was flat.

We pumped it up there with their track pump and heard the pop of the tyre seating, 2 hours later i could feel the pressure was down again.

Thought about pumping it up at the start and chancing it but decided not want to take that chance and stuck a tube in.

Dropped the bike off at cycle lab on wednesday, picked it up yesterday. They changed the rim tape twice whilst it was with them.

Tyre was hard when i picked it up, they said it had been standing for 2 hours, tyre was still hard this morning before I left for work, so hopefully it is now sorted.

I had similar frustrations with tubeless set ups ( mainly Conti 500TL's). If it works it is brilliant though and therefore I will probably never switch permanently back to tubes. If anything goes wrong the week before a race again I will however just play it safe and use tubes for the race. 

3 minutes ago, dsw said:

I had similar frustrations with tubeless set ups ( mainly Conti 500TL's). If it works it is brilliant though and therefore I will probably never switch permanently back to tubes. If anything goes wrong the week before a race again I will however just play it safe and use tubes for the race. 

yeah i thought I was playing it safe and giving myself enough time to sort it out before race day. At least there was the option to revert back to tube.

It was however in the back of my mind the entire time that should I puncture I have no way of sorting it out, I was putting my trust in the puncture protection of the Pirellis 

• 11 months later...

so the current rear tyre is not liking all the little cuts etc. Even the superglue trick is not working.

Near the end of sundays 100km ride I could feel the extra bounce coming from the rear meaning it had lost air.

monday afternoon I superglued a cut that I thought was the cause, yesterday afternoon pumped it up to pressure and hung the bike back up. About an hour or so later went to check on it and it was completely flat again.

2 problems though.

1) Stock of 28mm seems to be non existent, and when there is the price is crazy.

2) Its  been a couple of bad commission earning months in a row, disposable income is non existent.

So I'm going to do 1 of 2 things

a) put a tube in it

b) asses the condition of the front tyre from the previous set and see if it is good enough to last me a little while.

but in the mean time, if anyone knows of 28mm Cinturato's going for a decent price please point me in that direction.

(on that note, has bikemob closed down ? their website seems to be non existent) 

Takealot has 32c @ R749.00  

I have to say that my rear has actually worn to a flat strip in middle now with lots of niks & cuts but still holds air no problem after 10500km