CamelBak woes

sawystertrance

Yesterday for some reason, both straps on my 3 year old CamelBak snapped at different times.

I don't know why, perhaps it's to do with built in obsolescence or normal ageing. I wash it after every 5 or so rides and it lives hanging  on the back of a chair in my bedroom so it's not sun or moisture damage while in storage. Either way it made for an uncomfortable ride with it hanging around my neck to get home..

Anybody know if the straps can be replaced or if not, repaired?

Cheers

I have  CamelBaks and 2 of them are well over 9 years old. I use either one almost weekly and I've not yet had any issues with the straps. I have broken a bladder before and replaced the pipe on the other but not the straps as of yet. Do you by any chance have stuff in the bags when you leave it hanging off the back of the chair? The weight in the bags could possibly add to the wear. 

If my bag has stuff in it I store it lying flat and not hanging from the straps. If I hang it on those biltong hooks I normally make sure that it doesn't have heavy stuff in them. my 2L one only hangs on the hook for the past 7-8 years. 

Not sure if it can be replaced but I an sure that if you find a good seamstress or willing to try it yourself you'll be able to get it sorted. Maybe use fish line to strengthen it more  :thumbup:    

Don't Camelbak come with a life time guarantee? 

Very good guarantee on the bladders, don't know if the bags have. Most of my camelbak bags are over 15 years old now and still good.

Yes, I don't understand why they should have broken. And both on the same day..Weird. 

I was curious about the warranty so I will ask the supplier but I'll be darned if I have a receipt or proof of purchase by now.

Thanks for the answers

Mine is 5 yrs old. Hangs by its straps fully loaded a d sometimes with water in it. Hardly gets washed and is generally abused ... when i washed it after attakwas it came out mint condition.

I'm with kners.... someone did the dirty on it.

That's very strange Mine is a good 8 years old i wear it every ride 3/5 times a week.. I use mine as a backpack and not a Reservoir...It's Acted on as a back protector on quite a few over the handle bar excursions.It's washed regularly.... The Little back pocket has some wear from the tools rubbing but that's it. I would guess you got some harsh solvent on the straps that  weekend the material.H