Where to shed some weight

Rudolf Lamprecht

Hi all, I had the opportunity to feel the weight of some of my fellow riders' bikes over the weekend, and I must say that I am feeling left behind (pun intended).

I've got a Merida 96-4000 with all the standard fittings. NX Groupset, Shimano pedals, nothing special. Where can I shed the most weight off my bike ito upgrades, without breaking the bank?

Hi all, I had the opportunity to feel the weight of some of my fellow riders' bikes over the weekend, and I must say that I am feeling left behind (pun intended).

I've got a Merida 96-4000 with all the standard fittings. NX Groupset, Shimano pedals, nothing special. Where can I shed the most weight off my bike ito upgrades, without breaking the bank?

If you are of decent weight, ignore the jokers above haha.

A good set of used alu wheels a la Stans or similar will be a good start.

I have done things like carbon bars, KCNC seat post and lighter tyres (don't get to the point that they get too thin and puncture easily).

You can save a lot of weight on your cassette going with some of the Sunrace options.

To be honest though, don't go too far as you won't get the value of the upgrades back.

Often better to look after your bike and sell it for a higher spec one when you can then ending up with something that you won't be able to sell for what you've put in.

According to the interwebs the Merida 96-4000 comes in at 12.2kg. That is not a bad weight for a dual sus, your friends may all ride hard tails or they have more expensive bikes  :whistling:

But to give you some weight reducers just for the sake of giving advise: 

• If you have tjoebs then go tubeless
  • Look at the tire weight - bigger isn't always better
  • Upgrade the rims
  • Upgrade the fork
  • Upgrade the crank

So in my view, do the tubeless if you don't have that done as of yet and then the next step would be to go with a new set of wheels

According to the interwebs the Merida 96-4000 comes in at 12.2kg. That is not a bad weight for a dual sus, your friends may all ride hard tails or they have more expensive bikes  :whistling:

But to give you some weight reducers just for the sake of giving advise: 

• If you have tjoebs then go tubeless
  • Look at the tire weight - bigger isn't always better
  • Upgrade the rims
  • Upgrade the fork
  • Upgrade the crank

So in my view, do the tubeless if you don't have that done as of yet and then the next step would be to go with a new set of wheels

I wish my bike could way 12.2 kg.  That would make me a very happy chappy.

The more weight you add to your bike the more weight you will loose  :rolleyes:

true story...

i ride with 5kg's of weight in my frame bags when on rides with my wife (go slow rides)

edit: OP...as mentioned....cheapest weight to lose is when you go 'tubeless' under your shirt...and then probably tubeless for your bike....with some lighter tires maybe. light wheels is usually what gives that "light off the line" feel. The rest will be alot more expensive as it involves expensive materials like carbon and or titanium......and yet the gains will not be as big as loosing 5kg's yourself.

your dual sus bike is lighter than my steel hardtail btw lol. 

Edited by morneS555

Most substantial weight savers cost money

Wheels is where you will save the most and be the most effective

Carbon wheels + Specialized Sworks tyres, will make A gigantic difference to the weight but also the feel of the bike

... If you can stomach the bill

Okay sorry I forgot about the NX

Canging just the cassette to GX should save A decent amount of grams

Carbon wheels option will stay the most effective option

As mentioned above wheels will be the biggest noticeable weight, less rotational weight easier going forward.

Friend of mine has a similar carbon frame 96 he has dropped considerably on the weight of the bike but still says it feels sluggish and heavy, even after changing the wheels to much lighter ones. Could very well be in the design of the frame that the suspension saps to much energy as in you spend more time going up and down with each pedal stroke instead of forward. But this is just what I think I ride a HT what would I know ????

Best and cheapest place to lose weight is on your own body. Its all about the rider and bike package.

Carbon wheels are not always lighter. Do your self a favour and check weights of different aluminium vs carbon rims.

The NX groupset is the heaviest out of the sram range

https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/23/complete-sram-eagle-comparison-whats-the-difference-between-nx-gx-x01-xx1/

A hugely massive price difference for the weight saved.

Then also tyres. Some weigh less than others

My apologies for any mistakes

Edited by Eddy Gordo