New bike - Scott Genius vs Trek 9.8

Tubeless

Opinions please.

Coming from a Anthem, wanting a bit more travel and trail orientated.

Mostly ride trails on Meerendal and a bit of XC. Not serious, weekend worrier.

The 120mm travel of the Trek seems a good compromise. Or should I just go Scott 150 travel.

I will not  be able to test them both.

I suppose the question is: will I loose something on the 150 travel vs the 120 travel on these type of "mild" trails?

You want the option to bomb it and ride multi stage races if you choose....Top Fuel at 120mm is all the bike you may need. 

Had mine for 2 months coming from a Rocky Mountain Element. Great rig and verrrry capable.

Assumption: You mention 120mm travel thus referring to the Top Fuel

Why not then consider the Fuel EX which I imagine would slot in between the two options you mention
Fuel EX comes in 130mm F & R 

I have upgrade my fork to a 140mm Pike and the bike is dreams

It's an allrounder capable of everything I've thrown at it

You also have the minolink on the bike which can be set to high or slack changing the headtube angle and BB height.

Imo I reckon the Genius would be overkill for what you mention

Fuel EX can be easily altered to which side you lean ==> more XC or more trail/light enduro

Also consider the Giant Trance 29 as you are already a Giant fan. 115mm out back 130mm out front and it absolutely shreds the downs, whilst being pretty darn capable on the climbs.

I'm A genius fan having owned Geniuses over the last 15 years ,on my 3rd looking to get my 4th...So difficult not to be loyal :)...Anyway so what I want to point out  over the last year on the used bikes on the hub there were I stand, corrected

but only Two (2018+) scott geniuses up for sale...(both larges and i need a medium)

but over that period 100's of Trek fuels

Guess those guys are loving their bikes

H

+ 1 vote for the top fuel

+ 1 vote for the Fuel Ex, the new one with 140mm travel

(I am a Trek fan)

Alternatively old the 9.8 Fuel Ex is currently on special and worth looking into with 130 travel. 

You should be able to demo Trek's in most places.

Not sure about Scotts demo plan

I'm A genius fan having owned Geniuses over the last 15 years ,on my 3rd looking to get my 4th...So difficult not to be loyal :)...Anyway so what I want to point out  over the last year on the used bikes on the hub there were I stand, corrected

but only Two (2018+) scott geniuses up for sale...(both larges and i need a medium)

but over that period 100's of Trek fuels

Guess those guys are loving their bikes

H

I am one of those that sold the Trek Fuel and went the SCOTT route ... love my Scott !!

I am a Scott fan/rider but you are comparing 2 completely different bikes, I have been on the new Genius and on the decends it was epic fun, but coming from a xc bike it climbed like a school bus. I was so tired at the top of Hoogies I had to sit down a bit before I could drop in with confidence.

The Trek on the other hand even the EX and as a Scott rider it pains me to say this but the Trek EX blew the Genius away on the climbs, sapping so much less energy and still great fun when pointing down.

I would say the Trek top fuel or EX both will be great all-round.