First Ride: The Specialized Turbo Levo SL Changes The Game

Bike Hub Features

Electric-assisted mountain bikes are hugely fun bikes to ride but the one unavoidable consequence of a motor and battery is the added weight and the impact that has on the ride feel versus a regular bike. The Specialized Turbo Levo SL is a bold attempt to redefine e-MTBs with a lightweight bike that has the agility of a regular trail bike while packing a functional range.

View full article

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This costs about the same;

BUT.... can you ride that round Jonkers doing all the rad trails over and over again?

That thing either puts you on the track or has you breaking the law speeding to enjoy it and dodge all the taxi's and drivers too busy on their phones to bother seeing you.

I don't really get the comparison. You can buy a new car for R250k and you can buy a bottle of Whiskey for 250k and a whole lot of other things in between.

A quarter of a million zar is about R220000 out of my price bracket for a bike, but IMHO, with these bikes getting better and better, the 'normal' trail bike is DED.

BUT.... can you ride that round Jonkers doing all the rad trails over and over again?

That thing either puts you on the track or has you breaking the law speeding to enjoy it and dodge all the taxi's and drivers too busy on their phones to bother seeing you.

I don't really get the comparison. You can buy a new car for R250k and you can buy a bottle of Whiskey for 250k and a whole lot of other things in between.

A quarter of a million zar is about R220000 out of my price bracket for a bike, but IMHO, with these bikes getting better and better, the 'normal' trail bike is DED.

For half the price you can a KTM freeride E, with proper suspension, brakes, tyres etc...

For half the price you can a KTM freeride E, with proper suspension, brakes, tyres etc...

Ah but you know, you wouldn't get a proper work out on that thing...

Now this new Spaz has a motor but still gives you a work out - imagine that. Its like a normal bike. What an innovation. Maybe things will go full circle eventually. 

I'd rather have a more powerful eBike - for the same effort you can go even faster uphill. Why sell yourself short just to get a bike that looks like a real bike? 

Ja... again, I'm not debating how expensive it is, but comparing an e-bike to a moto is like saying 'That car is so expensive, I could buy a house for the same price'

You can, yes. But it's not relative. 

I reckon the next trail bike I buy will be an e-bike. Being able to loop trails top to bottom is the dream

Ah but you know, you wouldn't get a proper work out on that thing...

Now this new Spaz has a motor but still gives you a work out - imagine that. Its like a normal bike. What an innovation. Maybe things will go full circle eventually. 

I'd rather have a more powerful eBike - for the same effort you can go even faster uphill. Why sell yourself short just to get a bike that looks like a real bike? 

You have obviously never ever ridden proper enduro on a dirtbike, 4 Laps at a place like wild west will leave you hurting properly. 

Ja... again, I'm not debating how expensive it is, but comparing an e-bike to a moto is like saying 'That car is so expensive, I could buy a house for the same price'

You can, yes. But it's not relative. 

I reckon the next trail bike I buy will be an e-bike. Being able to loop trails top to bottom is the dream

But it is, both are electric powered 2 wheel vehicles designed for offroad use for the enjoyment of riding. 

They were aiming for real bike handling. The look just comes with everything being smaller.

I view this bike as a replacement to the real bike instead of competing against other e-bikes. I reckon the Levo SL will dig into top spec Stumpy sales the most.

I suppose when the e-bike world champ rides Spez then you think you can charge a quarter of a million zar for a bike.

There are probably 250 people who'd buy that sales pitch  ;)

Alan was at the launch. His World Champion jersey looks electric...

You have obviously never ever ridden proper enduro on a dirtbike, 4 Laps at a place like wild west will leave you hurting properly. 

But it is, both are electric powered 2 wheel vehicles designed for offroad use for the enjoyment of riding. 

I think you missed the point. 

They were aiming for real bike handling. The look just comes with everything being smaller.

I view this bike as a replacement to the real bike instead of competing against other e-bikes. I reckon the Levo SL will dig into top spec Stumpy sales the most.

Spot on.

My wife rides a Levo. I've given it a proper spin or two but it just doesn't work perfectly for me, so when I sold my Enduro recently I got a new Stumpy without seriously considering a Levo. This however...