First Ride: The Specialized Turbo Levo SL Changes The Game

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have ridden the Turbo Levo V1 and loved it. Then I rode the V2 and loved it even more. My wife also takes very kindly to it after trying one.

I am also certain that I would love the SL version, and would happily replace my current non-motorized trail bike with one, if I had the funds to do so. The price also doesn't surprise me, let's be honest, this isn't a Makro-spec bike with a fancy motor and battery just slapped on, this is a Stumpy (which ranges from about R50-150K) with added engineering,added high end battery, high end motor and high end electronic controller so it SHOULD cost a hell of a lot more than the bike it's based on. 

This may very well be the perfect amount of assistance and weight to be the single quiver bike for a bunch of riders who felt that the normal version was just a little too heavy and assisted to be their daily. 

While I will not be getting one (as I have my sights set on a tri bike) I hope those who do will reap much enjoyment from them. 

I have the Turbo Creo SL and I have the 2020 New Kenevo, also had the 2019 Turbo Levo

The new 1.1 motor is really a huge improvement on the current motor being used in the Turbo Levo range.

The mere fact that there is almost zero resistance once you exceed the speed limit makes it really feel like a normal bike.

I also like that the assist is so marginal, especially in ECO mode. You work your gat off if you want to go fast in eco mode. 

I have had every model of the Levo's since they launched and the improvements have been noticeable everytime they launch a new updated bike.

I shudder to think where E-bikes will be in 5 -10 years from now.

Hate Specialized if you want but they have the best R&D of any brand 

I have ridden the Turbo Levo V1 and loved it. Then I rode the V2 and loved it even more. My wife also takes very kindly to it after trying one.

I am also certain that I would love the SL version, and would happily replace my current non-motorized trail bike with one, if I had the funds to do so. The price also doesn't surprise me, let's be honest, this isn't a Makro-spec bike with a fancy motor and battery just slapped on, this is a Stumpy (which ranges from about R50-150K) with added engineering,added high end battery, high end motor and high end electronic controller so it SHOULD cost a hell of a lot more than the bike it's based on. 

This may very well be the perfect amount of assistance and weight to be the single quiver bike for a bunch of riders who felt that the normal version was just a little too heavy and assisted to be their daily. 

While I will not be getting one (as I have my sights set on a tri bike) I hope those who do will reap much enjoyment from them. 

Well you are the perfect consumer for these and all the other massively expensive bikes  - if its "high end" the price must be justified. 

I have the Turbo Creo SL and I have the 2020 New Kenevo, also had the 2019 Turbo Levo

The new 1.1 motor is really a huge improvement on the current motor being used in the Turbo Levo range.

The mere fact that there is almost zero resistance once you exceed the speed limit makes it really feel like a normal bike.

I also like that the assist is so marginal, especially in ECO mode. You work your gat off if you want to go fast in eco mode. 

I have had every model of the Levo's since they launched and the improvements have been noticeable everytime they launch a new updated bike.

I shudder to think where E-bikes will be in 5 -10 years from now.

Hate Specialized if you want but they have the best R&D of any brand 

Thank you for swopping so regularly, I will quite likely end up buying a Levo SL from someone like you in 18 months' time ;)

What's crazy is that it will still be a R100k excercise...!

@Nick, one thing I found interesting is the 2.3 tyre spec, bearing in mind how narrow Specialized tyres are. I run a 2.6 Eliminator/GC combo on my Stumpy and wouldn't think of going back to 2.3, was the narrower rubber not noticeable?

To be honest, I haven't spent too many hours on 2.6" tyres. So it may be a case of not knowing what I'm missing but I found the 2.3" well suited to the Stellenbosch trails. I also spend lots of time on XC bikes with a similar width tyre, so it's a size that I'm comfortable with. So ya, you'd probably prefer the bike with 2.6".

I reckon the tyre choice had a lot to do with weight saving considerations and differentiating it further from the standard Levo. Weight and friction play a role in efficiency too (but I couldn't even start to guess to what degree). Also, you've taught me something, I didn't know that they make 2.6" Ground Control tyres.

Sort of on topic, one thing that I didn't mention is the new Trail GRID casing. It extends the GRID casing from the sidewalls over to the top of the tyre (underneath the tread).

I didn't know that they make 2.6" Ground Control tyres.

Yup, it's new. I've been running one on the rear for a few weeks now, it rolls way faster than the Eliminator even in the bigger size.

I also suspected that the 2.3 choice had to do with making the SL feel as efficient as possible, something which is clearly very much the aim here...

I hear you - I'm sure it is a blast to ride. Just read and been told that a new thing will change the game many times before. And as has been pointed out, for those of us who consider 50k an absolutely incredible amount of money to spend on a bicycle and who turned the 30k we spent on the current bike over many times before taking the plunge, the game doesn't really seem to need changing.

It's easy enough to bemoan progression and the hype that comes with it but I tend to not do it lightly.

The Levo SL blurs the lines between regular bikes and e-bikes in the trail riding category. It will have regular trail bike owners considering an e-bike for the first time. In fact, I reckon anyone who can afford a bike like this will have more fun with it than a regular trail bike. It is the first e-bike to make me think this way, so in that sense, it has the potential to change the game completely.

I hear you - I'm sure it is a blast to ride. Just read and been told that a new thing will change the game many times before. And as has been pointed out, for those of us who consider 50k an absolutely incredible amount of money to spend on a bicycle and who turned the 30k we spent on the current bike over many times before taking the plunge, the game doesn't really seem to need changing.

Yes, we've been told that new things change the game many times, fully agreed. Also fully agreed that most of the time, the gains have been mostly hype. At its core, even though geometry, suspension, drivetrain and braking have improved substantially from my first 1989 Nishiki Alien to my 2019 Stumpjumper, they're not worlds apart. Continents maybe, but not worlds.

What I think most of us who have been riding bikes for a long time fail to realise is just how rapidly tech progresses in some areas outside the bicycle industry. Now that electrification and electronics have joined us, we're seeing a pick up in pace unknown to us up until this point. I think we'd be foolish to underestimate just how much the game really will change over the next couple of years...

Well you are the perfect consumer for these and all the other massively expensive bikes  - if its "high end" the price must be justified. 

Haha, if only. I ride a 4 yo alloy trail bike that's not being replaced anytime soon. My point was simply that many who shudder at the price of these bikes forget that there is a lot extra on them for the extra money over the bikes they are based on. The fact that I understand why a Bentley Bentayga costs more than an Audi Q8 doesn't mean I wll ever be able to afford one

I get your point but.....coming from someone that has done both disciplines for a long time....The CRF you will ride once a week, then twice a month, then once a month, then dust..... An eBike you will ride multiple times a week and continue to do so.

And, if you think we are pressed for good and variety MTB trails, wait until you try find motorbike trails that are close to home and safe to ride. Most people can’t ride a CRF from their doorstep.

Bottom line, you will have more hours of enjoyment on the S-Works.

I do see your point, but I live in rural New Zealand, so-.

Also, not likely to get an ebike at any stage, I'm OK with hills when I am riding my bicycle :-)

I just can't understand the rsa market, according to a quick search the spez range here down under will retail as follows (keep in mind the exchange rate is 10:1)

LEVO SL S Works - $19000

LEVO SL Expert Carbon - $13200

LEVO SL Comp Carbon - $11200

LEVO SL Comp - $9800

???

I just can't understand the rsa market, according to a quick search the spez range here down under will retail as follows (keep in mind the exchange rate is 10:1)

LEVO SL S Works - $19000

LEVO SL Expert Carbon - $13200

LEVO SL Comp Carbon - $11200

LEVO SL Comp - $9800

???

5% more on the S-Works.

14% more on the Expert.

11% more on the Comp Carbon.

7% more on the Comp.

Founder's Edition at $26,500 is a bargain here though (if there are any left). The 1% get all the luck   :whistling:

Ha ha ha --- ja. The number of times on a climb I tell myself that getting off my 14kg Merida and walking will not make this any easier .... but if I had a walk assist function, that might change the game.

'walk assist function' ... I just shake my head