I’m stuck

DemiCat

Hi

It happens from time to time (mostly after an uphill) that I cannot get either foot out of the pedals. (Mtb Spd cleats and double sided clip less pedals). I think the cleats can also clip out in more than one way, as in heels outwards or inwards, if that helps.

Any advice as to what the problem could be ? Still working on my mechanical skills here ????

Thanks in advance

There should be two little hex bolts on each pedal that allow you to tighten or loosen the springs that hold the cleats in the pedal. Try loosening them a little (you will have to loosen all 4 because each one controls the tension on one side of the pedal).

Hi

It happens from time to time (mostly after an uphill) that I cannot get either foot out of the pedals. (Mtb Spd cleats and double sided clip less pedals). I think the cleats can also clip out in more than one way, as in heels outwards or inwards, if that helps.

Any advice as to what the problem could be ? Still working on my mechanical skills here

Thanks in advance

If you look closely at the cleat you should see a setting with a Plus and Minus sign. you can use an allen key to relax the cleat to the point where it is super easy to swing your heel to unclip.

As others have said, adjust the cleat spring tension on the pedal, look for the plus and minus signs and use the allen key to adjust it to the easiest setting.

You can also change your cleats to Shimano's easy release cleats SM-SH56 https://road.cc/content/feature/182513-clipless-pedals-how-shimanos-multi-release-cleats-make-it-easy-get-started  you will be able to pull your foot out of the cleat easier

Edited by shaper

No one jumping on the 'Get flats, learn to ride properly, THEN go back to cleats if you want to' bandwagon?

My how this place has changed!

OP, practice clipping in and out all the time. It becomes natural. Like learning an instrument, the first few months you have to 'place' your fingers, but after a while it happens faster and without thought.

Same same

No one jumping on the 'Get flats, learn to ride properly, THEN go back to cleats if you want to' bandwagon?

My how this place has changed!

OP, practice clipping in and out all the time. It becomes natural. Like learning an instrument, the first few months you have to 'place' your fingers, but after a while it happens faster and without thought.

Same same

I am very familiar with clipping in, not being able to clip out is a recent problem, hence I asked if there could be mechanical problem.

First thing I’ll try is adjust the tension. I previously had bi-pedals and they had only one place to adjust the tension.

Thanks to all

Get yourself a set of eggbeaters. Much more friendly pedals. Otherwise try a bit of Q20 on the underside of your shoe!

I tried Q20 once and couldn't keep clipped IN afterwards!

I am very familiar with clipping in, not being able to clip out is a recent problem, hence I asked if there could be mechanical problem.

Oh.... In that case, check that the cleat isn't loose on the shoe. Sometimes the bolts work loose and then when you twist your foot, the cleat stays 'straight' and doesn't clip out..... 

How old are your cleats? I find the older and more worn they get the harder it is to willingly disengage and the easier it is to 'slip' out of them unintentionally....!

I also once a month or so give the pedals a good spray with some Q20 (or equivalent), clean off the excess and everything stays working fine...

Yeah check your cleats themselves. Worn cleats give all sorts of issues and can be replaced easily and cheaply. It's also strange since it's a new problem. I wouldn't look at spring tension first.

Results in mamil and bike in hopeless tangled embrace of knees and handlebars writhing on dusty trail trying to remove foot from shoe while what's left of dignity hopes noone is watching.

#notmybestmoment

Oh.... In that case, check that the cleat isn't loose on the shoe. Sometimes the bolts work loose and then when you twist your foot, the cleat stays 'straight' and doesn't clip out.....