Racing/League Road Number Holder

Forza Trading

Hi Hubbers,

We are doing some market research with regards to number board holders for road bikes.(as seen attached) The ones that hold the league/racing boards straight and secure.

Are these readily available in South Africa ? as we can't find them anywhere?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

post-122213-0-34007200-1580844752_thumb.jpg

Edited by Forza Trading

Hi Hubbers,

We are doing some market research with regards to number board holders for road bikes.(as seen attached) The ones that hold the league/racing boards straight and secure.

Are these readily available in South Africa ? as we can't find them anywhere?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

There are BBB ones available, smaller than the one advertised. They are sold for R50(well that's what it cost when I bought mine 2 years ago).

Really works for me because I don't have to cable tie and then cut loose my number after every league race(nobody really wants to train with their boards on their bike LOL). So I put it on and remove it before and after every race. It's similar to a rear light, just has a rubber band which wraps around the seat post and holder.

Hope that helps.

My 2c, if I may...

- The market for these is really tiny(in CT), For example WP Winter League has less than 300 members across Cat 1, Cat 2, Cat 3 and Ladies(haven't counted juniours), even if half buy them(let's say 150 riders even at R100, that's 15k, minus expenses incurred, let's say you making R50 profit off each one, it's then only R7500 profile IF IF IF.....

- Not sure if they have racing in other provinces like in CT with the WP Winter League where every rider in every category is required to have the number board, if so the numbers then may start looking better.

- If you can somehow convince PPA to make it compulsory for every rider to have a bike board, perhaps include it in their membership or pay for a temp number on each race day, then you'll have a bigger market to tap into. (I still think it should be compulsory because if a rider crashes, they/family/friends spend quite a while trying to locate the riders bike, whereas a number board would help solve that issue)

- Those are just my thoughts, But to support local, I would, Let us know how it goes.

-

Back in the late 80's my race bike had number board pegs brazed onto the frame at the top, head and down tubes junction.

My 2c, if I may...

- The market for these is really tiny(in CT), For example WP Winter League has less than 300 members across Cat 1, Cat 2, Cat 3 and Ladies(haven't counted juniours), even if half buy them(let's say 150 riders even at R100, that's 15k, minus expenses incurred, let's say you making R50 profit off each one, it's then only R7500 profile IF IF IF.....

- Not sure if they have racing in other provinces like in CT with the WP Winter League where every rider in every category is required to have the number board, if so the numbers then may start looking better.

- If you can somehow convince PPA to make it compulsory for every rider to have a bike board, perhaps include it in their membership or pay for a temp number on each race day, then you'll have a bigger market to tap into. (I still think it should be compulsory because if a rider crashes, they/family/friends spend quite a while trying to locate the riders bike, whereas a number board would help solve that issue)

- Those are just my thoughts, But to support local, I would, Let us know how it goes.

-

It's also a 'buy once' item, so that 'best case' scenario is a once off.

BUT, I reckon all the pseudo pro's will want one for the CTCT....... So that at least 25000 units sold at the expo.....  :whistling:

It's also a 'buy once' item, so that 'best case' scenario is a once off.

BUT, I reckon all the pseudo pro's will want one for the CTCT....... So that at least 25000 units sold at the expo.....  :whistling:

Doesn't that CTCT number need to be stuck to the front of the bike like a mtb board? I would much rather have mine at the back on my seat post instead of on my bars slowing me down............

Doesn't that CTCT number need to be stuck to the front of the bike like a mtb board? I would much rather have mine at the back on my seat post instead of on my bars slowing me down............

Yup .. its so they can try sell you a photo .. 

Get a steel conduit saddle, flatten it, twist it and put it between your brake and frame. (works for conventional rim brakes - not sure about others but I'm sure you could get creative with other bits of your bike if necessary - eg. Spez saddles have those tapped holes for mounting accessories).

https://www.builders.co.za/Electrical/Electrical-Accessories/Saddles/Saddles-Galvanised-20mm-Ea-/p/000000000000293471

I'll upload a pic later.

Yup .. its so they can try sell you a photo .. 

That is more the sticker but they do obviously look at the CTCT board in the photo as it is often more visible but I don't think the main reason for these boards is for photos. They have only had these boards for the last 3/4 years.

BUT I actually recall now that last year we had an extra number board for our seat post in the racing categories. As well as the handle bar board thing.

Get a steel conduit saddle, flatten it, twist it and put it between your brake and frame. (works for conventional rim brakes - not sure about others but I'm sure you could get creative with other bits of your bike if necessary - eg. Spez saddles have those tapped holes for mounting accessories).

https://www.builders.co.za/Electrical/Electrical-Accessories/Saddles/Saddles-Galvanised-20mm-Ea-/p/000000000000293471

I'll upload a pic later.

Keep it real, keep it steel.

I have seen some guys in the 1As and back with their number boards on one of these holders, so can't be too much of a issue.

Pretty sure that the boards placement is directly related to your chances of a sub-3 :ph34r:

I have seen some guys in the 1As and back with their number boards on one of these holders, so can't be too much of a issue.

Pretty sure that the boards placement is directly related to your chances of a sub-3 :ph34r:

Well I can say that it is so flipping dark and early when we load into our pens that they don't really check us out too well. The cancelled year with the wind, there were some guys in our group that never even got asked to hand in their start cards. Luckily they did away with those a year or 2 ago.

That is more the sticker but they do obviously look at the CTCT board in the photo as it is often more visible but I don't think the main reason for these boards is for photos. They have only had these boards for the last 3/4 years.

BUT I actually recall now that last year we had an extra number board for our seat post in the racing categories. As well as the handle bar board thing.