Ladies Mile Circle

firewolf

Anyone else affected by the devil thorns planted along the verge of the green bike lanes through the ladies mile circle?

Had a puncture around there in December from a devil thorn, but that was only one time out of countless rides past there since.

Avoid all those cycling paths in Bergvliet, loads of thorns in the grass and they get blown into the cycle lane. Ride on the road rather - just be cautious and safe. 

Or get in contact with the ward councilor and get the area cleaned up. Express safety concerns and breaking the law for using the road when there is a cycle lane!

Or get in contact with the ward councilor and get the area cleaned up. Express safety concerns and breaking the law for using the road when there is a cycle lane!

how do you eradicate those weeds ....  they are all over the pavements in the southern suburbs ... all the way to Muizenberg?

In one of those delvilishly thorny ironies I was forced to stop and unclip abruptly on the green crossing of the ladies.mile arm of the circle by a cyclist smashing through the circle at about 40kmph....

Anyone else affected by the devil thorns planted along the verge of the green bike lanes through the ladies mile circle?

I've ridden those lanes about twice per week over the last 3 years on my road bike. Haven't had a puncture yet from devil thorns. What tyres are you running?

I've ridden those lanes about twice per week over the last 3 years on my road bike. Haven't had a puncture yet from devil thorns. What tyres are you running?

I've never had a puncture there in 35 years of riding that road. I've just been lucky.

Mtb picks up thorns there all the time but the sealant takes care of it

how do you eradicate those weeds ....  they are all over the pavements in the southern suburbs ... all the way to Muizenberg?

Spray the living daylights out of them

The devils thorns only grow in places where the earth is disturbed. Exactly like along new cycle paths and the ladies Mile circle. It will grow every year for a couple of years and once the area next to the path is well established, it will disappear - until of course someone like the fibre optic moles dig it up again - and the process starts all over. It was an issue along the West coast cycle lane for a while as well. The best way to eradicate them is to remove the plants when they are young and green and before the thorns ripen and harden. So, too late to do anything about it this late in summer. 

Planted? Really? You cant be serious? They are weeds that sprout everywhere this time of year and when grass cutting takes place they end up in the road. 

Not to self beware the 30%'rs