Motion instruments suspension tuning

Pieter1

Cool tech. Problem is that most of us will then get lost in the data. Raw data is one thing, understanding what it means and then knowing mechanically how to improve it on the suspension is where the real skills lie.

Cool tech. Problem is that most of us will then get lost in the data. Raw data is one thing, understanding what it means and then knowing mechanically how to improve it on the suspension is where the real skills lie.

Thats true. Saw it on Greg Minnar’s fb and the app really looks cool but like you say knowing what to do with the data is another story.

Most likely overkill for the average Joe and it sucks that you need to pay a subscription to analyse data. Judging by the way these reply to criticism on Pinkbike it doesn't seem like customer service will be great when you experience problems. Some prime examples:

• Just wait for the free version that shines unicorn rainbows out of it's horn and smooths out the trail ahead of you.
  • My bad. I'll do 50 pushups now to repent.
  • We sold 2 systems to motorcycle (rally and dirt bike) guys today. They don't bitch and I don't even have to market to them, go figure. Same software that analyzes a MTB works on a dirt bike. Speaking of vendor lock in hell, we started the project with TI and it was awful. We ported to Nordic, but it's been rainbows and unicorns ever since. 
  • DM me, I'll light you up with a PB only forever pro package for 1000 bucks, and you'll never have to go the the app store, and you'll never have to pay again.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/motion-instruments-announces-6-data-analysis-systems.html

I'm tempted to try and figure out something similar with an Arduino.

Most likely overkill for the average Joe and it sucks that you need to pay a subscription to analyse data. Judging by the way these reply to criticism on Pinkbike it doesn't seem like customer service will be great when you experience problems. Some prime examples:

• Just wait for the free version that shines unicorn rainbows out of it's horn and smooths out the trail ahead of you.
  • We sold 2 systems to motorcycle (rally and dirt bike) guys today. They don't bitch and I don't even have to market to them, go figure. Same software that analyzes a MTB works on a dirt bike. Speaking of vendor lock in hell, we started the project with TI and it was awful. We ported to Nordic, but it's been rainbows and unicorns ever since.
  • DM me, I'll light you up with a PB only forever pro package for 1000 bucks, and you'll never have to go the the app store, and you'll never have to pay again.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/motion-instruments-announces-6-data-analysis-systems.html

I'm tempted to try and figure out something similar with an Arduino.

G’z. That is enough to putt me off of the thing. Not that I was thinking about it anyway.

Yoh, that's terrible. With an attitude like that they really don't deserve to get anywhere. 

Besides their attitude though, Their market should really be bike shops to help people set up their rides. There is absolutely no way I am going to go through all that trouble an expense just to set up my suspension. I'm no pro, but I push my bike's suspension pretty hard, and for me a couple of clicks here and there is good enough to have the bike feel good. 

Plus this level of detail is only justified if you are going to set up your suspension perfectly for a given trail. Soon as you go down something else, it's probably going to feel like crap. I guess you could work out the perfect tune for every single trail you ride, but you will lose all your friends when they constantly have to wait for you to adjust your air pressure, rebound, low and high speed damping etc. 

Waste of time and money in my opinion for 99.99 % of riders.

Yoh, that's terrible. With an attitude like that they really don't deserve to get anywhere.

Besides their attitude though, Their market should really be bike shops to help people set up their rides. There is absolutely no way I am going to go through all that trouble an expense just to set up my suspension. I'm no pro, but I push my bike's suspension pretty hard, and for me a couple of clicks here and there is good enough to have the bike feel good.

Plus this level of detail is only justified if you are going to set up your suspension perfectly for a given trail. Soon as you go down something else, it's probably going to feel like crap. I guess you could work out the perfect tune for every single trail you ride, but you will lose all your friends when they constantly have to wait for you to adjust your air pressure, rebound, low and high speed damping etc.

Waste of time and money in my opinion for 99.99 % of riders.

For sure. For the pro’s this makes sense or a bike park or something where you can do a test/practice run and dial it in for that trail or race.

It is pretty cool tech tho.

This is exactly the thing with a lot of products like that.

There was a floating pool chlorinator that read the levels and dispensed chemical based on those levels. I thought about building my own one using micro-controllers too but then what it comes down to is the trial and error and time it takes to nail down the software side of things. 

The hardware is pretty simple in most of these cases, its what to do with the data it puts out that is difficult.