Garmin Vector 3's on a MTB?

BigDL

I have recently started working with a coach preparing for a stage race/event in May/June, who plans my workouts around power. On the Kickr during the week, this is perfect, but my weekend outdoor rides are based on my perceived rate of exertion or heart rate, neither of which I am very good at being aware of. I was looking at a power meter option for the MTB and popped into CRC to look at the 4iiii option. The guys there suggested that, as I ride both MTB and road, and only really want to measure power on the MTB leading up to this event in May, after which it is more useful to me on the road bike, and that most of my current training rides with the MTB are on the road, that I get a Vector 3S pedal power meter and train with my road shoes. I went ahead and ordered, but am keen to get a second opinion before they arrive and I start using them. 

Does it make sense to ride the MTB with road shoes, albeit only on the road? I will revert to normal pedals and shoes off road? Is the above a good solution to my needs? 

Any help much appreciated 

Hope you have better luck with your Vector 3's than I did. I bought a set with a new road bike in September 2019. The Garmin support is good, so that's a plus - but the power readings were sporadic at best. I had one session where they showed an FTP of 400, which although flattering was a 100W jump from the previous week and meant 5.16 watts/kg  :huh:.

Garmin replaced the first set in November, and it was better, but after 1 month the left pedal started giving random readings again. I tried the cleaning mineral oil tricks (see Garmin forums for more), however at close to 15k I was longing for my single sided stages. In addition the battery covers screw into plastic threads that are never going to last imho. I told Garmin I'd had enough and they kindly gave me a refund (can't complain there). Another guy in our group had similar issues 4 sets in 1 year and then a refund. We both bought dual sided 4iiii, been happy ever since - nice to just ride and forget and get numbers that are reasonable.

Could have just been our bad luck, IMHO if your on a budget I'd get two stages single sided power meters - one for each bike. The new gen worked flawless on my old bike and they've just halved their prices from January 2020. I have 47/53 balance, so honestly single sided if your doing IDT to check is more than good enough.

https://store.stagescycling.com/STAGES-POWER-L-ULTEGRA-R8000 plus XT etc.

Hope you have better luck with your Vector 3's than I did. I bought a set with a new road bike in September 2019. The Garmin support is good, so that's a plus - but the power readings were sporadic at best. I had one session where they showed an FTP of 400, which although flattering was a 100W jump from the previous week and meant 5.16 watts/kg :huh:.

Garmin replaced the first set in November, and it was better, but after 1 month the left pedal started giving random readings again. I tried the cleaning mineral oil tricks (see Garmin forums for more), however at close to 15k I was longing for my single sided stages. In addition the battery covers screw into plastic threads that are never going to last imho. I told Garmin I'd had enough and they kindly gave me a refund (can't complain there). Another guy in our group had similar issues 4 sets in 1 year and then a refund. We both bought dual sided 4iiii, been happy ever since - nice to just ride and forget and get numbers that are reasonable.

Could have just been our bad luck, IMHO if your on a budget I'd get two stages single sided power meters - one for each bike. The new gen worked flawless on my old bike and they've just halved their prices from January 2020. I have 47/53 balance, so honestly single sided if your doing IDT to check is more than good enough.

https://store.stagescycling.com/STAGES-POWER-L-ULTEGRA-R8000 plus XT etc.

Good advice - many thanks. That would also solve the not being able to ride off road with a power meter issue. I shall start to look at that option today.

I recon one rock strike on those Vectors on the MTB and they will be toast.

But I feel your position. And trust me, once you ride with power you will never go back! I’ve ended up with a 4iiii on my road bike and a power2max ngeco on the MTB. Both work flawlessly.

The idea would be to only use it on the road, but MDJ makes a great point. Going to cancel the Garmin order and try and get a stages for the MTB for now and maybe one for the road later in the year. 

Thank you 

I recon one rock strike on those Vectors on the MTB and they will be toast.

But I feel your position. And trust me, once you ride with power you will never go back! I’ve ended up with a 4iiii on my road bike and a power2max ngeco on the MTB. Both work flawlessly.

definitely, you the garmin vector have bad rep, and if they aren't reliable on the road, they will cope very badly with MTB, and then garmin can say you haven't used them the way they're supposed to to reject any warranty claim. Get one of those 4iii non drive crank arm for now and stay on the look for something similar for the road bike, it's probably gonna end up costing not a lot more than the vector anyways

If the Vectors actually work (most don't), then you can certainly use it on a mtb.

Is it advisable, probably not - one rock strike and they won't work that well. In addition, you will struggle to walk in road shoes with shimano road cleats, in the event that you have to walk a section of trail.

My honest advise, the Vector pedals have been designed for road use and as already pointed out, if someone were to ever take their road pedals off road the brand / distributor has every right to turn down a warranty sighting the product was used outside the scope in which it had been designed. 

Further to this, i strongly believe that any brand that brings a MTB pedal based power meter to market is going to have major reliability / durability and accuracy problems. I would never put my own money behind a pedal based MTB power meter. Some immediate issues that come to mind are -

• serviceability, good quality mtb pedals can last 18 months before a service is required. expect to half this for a MTB pedal based platform as the brand establishes what bearings work and which don't. 

• accuracy, the conditions a MTB operates within is far more aggressive than that of road, this means the algorithm used in the measurement of power on pedal based system for MTB will have to be significantly "smoothed out". Not to mention the ranges of cadence used in MTB are also different to that of road.

when i look at power meters it comes down to accuracy and reliability / durability, a pedal based mtb power meter has major question marks.

Regardless of the above, i do believe pedal based power meters for MTB's are on their way. SRM introduced their version at EuroBike and i am sure more will be launched this year. 

Right now the power2max (crank based) platform are incredibly popular given their pricing point, dual sided power measurement and that good old Germany engineering and manufacturing quality meaning the customer has reliable power data. 

Just a thought. Are shimano road and MTB cranks compatible? Like if you got a 4iiii Ultegra left arm, would it fit on an XT spindle? Assuming they are the same crank lengths.

If this were the case you could slap the road 4iiii on your MTB cranks, then after your stage race move it to your road bike and put your non-power crank back on your MTB

Just a thought. Are shimano road and MTB cranks compatible? Like if you got a 4iiii Ultegra left arm, would it fit on an XT spindle? Assuming they are the same crank lengths.

If this were the case you could slap the road 4iiii on your MTB cranks, then after your stage race move it to your road bike and put your non-power crank back on your MTB

Assuming I get benefit from the MTB one and it works well, I’ll keep it on and try and get a road power meter later in the year or early next year. In the process of buying a house so readies aren’t plentiful