So how much does the bike matter?

Headshot

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/pinkbike-poll-how-much-does-the-bike-impact-racers-results.html#cid2499152

There seems to be a healthy belief out there that the bike matters rather a lot if you look at the poll results. I am in the other camp - if its the right class of bike for the job,  got wheels, suspension and gears and a good fit the bike makes very little difference. ( so don't give Nino a 16kg enduro bike and expect him to win XC, or Maes a Scot Spark...)  It's all about the riders skill and fitness. Within reason of course....

Just to add, I think that in this country the belief that the bike is very important is probably even stronger...

Prove me wrong with facts or just express your opinion however misguided :-) 

Edited by Headshot

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many factors to it...

The better the rider the easier they can overcome any 'deficiency' . E.g. Wyn Masters can probably wheelie anything, but someone like me might struggle to wheelie even the right type of bike. 

But then at the pro level even small differences can end up gaining / losing seconds which can be the difference between winning and losing.

Not that much at all if in the right class. Most of us will never ride our bikes to where it is limiting us to go faster. I used to ride trails faster (Jonkers Armageddon, Firehut, etc.) on my xc hardtail than I did on my xc dual sus and I believe it was because I was more familiar with the hardtail and it was set-up just right.

Riding the same trails now with a trail bike makes a world of difference in how I can get away with mistakes that the suspension and geometry just soak up. My hands and legs are also not as fatigued when I get to the bottom as before.

South Africa has an unhealthy obsession with having the best carbon frame money can buy (cough S-works riders cough). Most of us won't notice the difference between a mid-spec bike and a higher-end bike. 

Personally for a serial mid-packer as myself, I think the bike matters very little. I am of the opinion that a familiar bike is far more important than a high-end super expensive bike.

This is taking a everyone on mid-range bike approach.

Training and skills development have much further reaching benefits than saving 300g on a tyre, with the loss of grip/longevity puncture resistance being compromised. this can be translated into any upgrade.

Having said the above, going from second hand Giant P-XC (or whatever) wheelset to a Rapide wheelset with 30mmm rims was the most amazing upgrade I could have done. No idea of weight gained/lost, but it has given me a heluva lot of confidence on the trails. 

The same goes for no dropper vs dropper and even tyres. So there are some items that can make a big difference.

i finished 15 minutes behind the winner of the the short route 99er this past weekend.....

- on a 15kg mtb

- pushing 1x10 32/36

- rolling 29x2.6 big knob rubber

I ride what i want and enjoy being out of place.... and making fat guys on sub 10kg plastic bikes look bad :D .

imagine i could cruise at 45kph instead of 25-30 with my limited gearing....then i'd REALLY be a fly in the ointment lol...

if only my bike could take a front derailleur...

wait, what the hell am i saying. sorry for the blasphemy.  

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/pinkbike-poll-how-much-does-the-bike-impact-racers-results.html#cid2499152

There seems to be a healthy belief out there that the bike matters rather a lot if you look at the poll results. I am in the other camp - if its the right class of bike for the job,  got wheels, suspension and gears and a good fit the bike makes very little difference. ( so don't give Nino a 16kg enduro bike and expect him to win XC, or Maes a Scot Spark...)  It's all about the riders skill and fitness. Within reason of course....

Just to add, I think that in this country the belief that the bike is very important is probably even stronger...

Prove me wrong with facts or just express your opinion however misguided :-) 

Just add 29'er wheels and you are rocking and rolling tchjina!

i finished 15 minutes behind the winner of the the short route 99er this past weekend.....

- on a 15kg mtb

- pushing 1x10 32/36

- rolling 29x2.6 big knob rubber

I ride what i want and enjoy being out of place.... and making fat guys on sub 10kg plastic bikes look bad :D .

imagine i could cruise at 45kph instead of 25-30 with my limited gearing....then i'd REALLY be a fly in the ointment lol...

if only my bike could take a front derailleur...

wait, what the hell am i saying. sorry for the blasphemy.  

so essentially 1 minute per kg of bike weight :P

Personally, it depends on what you spent and how much you need to justify that spend.

I personally feel that it's 95% rider and 5% bike.

so essentially 1 minute per kg of bike weight :P

almost haha.  it's also fun passing people on the gravel shoulder if they ride 4 abreast up to the solid white line in the middle of the road 

I think at the higher end of the skill scale, bike will make a bigger difference. But for a lot of us, lekker suspension, good geo and wheels are more than enough.

Makes me think of the golf guys rocking up to the first tee, looking the part, 40K worth of clubs. Tee's it up, let's it rip....into the bush.

Sometimes the best gear won't help if your skill level isn't matched.

i think most people will run out of talent/fitness long before they reach the limit of what their bike is capable of.

again..referencing the roadie race i took part in this past weekend. at one stage i was riding with a group of guys all on fancybrand carbon bikes and half their drivetrains were noisy and/or skipping. i thought to myself in that moment....."all the gear and no clue".

and it is not limited to them...i've ridden behind guys on MTB's through contermans with lots of gold on the back of the bike.... sounding like something you rode back in 1994.  

If you are going to spend R50k + on a bike to 'enhance your performance', make sure you are at least giving the poor thing a fighting chance to try and help you.

Edited by morneS555

The same goes for no dropper vs dropper and even tyres. So there are some items that can make a big difference.

A dropper post is probably one of the best cycling inventions of late. But it still comes down to a Lyne or Rapide dropper will perform exactly the same for the average rider as say a Rockshox Reverb AXS.