MTB Tubeless Tyre hack

Andymann

I got one, does not work for me for anything wider than a 2.2, I just drive to the petrol station now that I run minions.

The Giant one?

My giant works lekker on all my tyres, 2.5 maxxis included. I used to use a hacked coke bottle, but now that I have the giant I don't use that or the compressor anymore (the compressor is where my trucks are parked, too much of a hassle.)

The Giant one?

My giant works lekker on all my tyres, 2.5 maxxis included. I used to use a hacked coke bottle, but now that I have the giant I don't use that or the compressor anymore (the compressor is where my trucks are parked, too much of a hassle.)

Oh then I dunno, with the core out I can still seat the recon and the forekaster, after like the 4th failed attempt I gave up trying with the Minions. Petrol stations like a 1km round trip, its easier. [emoji23]

More about this?

Drill two hole in a 2L coke bottle cap. Screw in two presta valves. One valve has the core removed, and put a piece of thin pipe over it that has a clamp of sorts to stop air escaping from it.

Remove the valve core on the wheel that needs inflating. Put the pipe over it. Put your floor pump on the other valve, pump it to about 6bar. Remove the clamp that allows two liters of air pressurized to 6bar to rush into your wheel, inflating the tyre.

The thing is, coke bottles perish and wear out over time. And yiu won't know when there is a weak spot on the bottle, potentially creating plastic shrapnel powered by 2liters of air pressurized to 6bar flying through your garage, in close proximity to you.

It's just not worth the risk, so got a booster. The Giant is rated to 11bar, so I have no fears of adding another bar or three when seating a stubborn tyre.

• 9 months later...

Quick one, must the bead make popping sound to suggest its seated correctly?

Tyre is pumped up, filled with sealant and pumped to 40psi.

Will see what pressure its at tomorrow morning.

But is it golden rule it must pop to be correctly seated?

Quick one, must the bead make popping sound to suggest its seated correctly?

Tyre is pumped up, filled with sealant and pumped to 40psi.

Will see what pressure its at tomorrow morning.

But is it golden rule it must pop to be correctly seated?

No, it generally pops, but not always. There should be a ridge on the tyre just above the rim, it should be visible on the full diameter of the tyre which indicates it is seated.

Thanks, just deflated them both to see if they stay seated. Front wasn't seated as the bead came off the rim.

Rear was fine and never popped when initially inflated.

Tomorrow morning pressure check will indicate failure or succes

Oh then I dunno, with the core out I can still seat the recon and the forekaster, after like the 4th failed attempt I gave up trying with the Minions. Petrol stations like a 1km round trip, its easier. [emoji23]

reviving an old thread... Do you leave the foot pump 'plugged in' to the booster then pomp furiously once the tank has blown it's load?

I do that with all tires and the initial 'blast' gets the bead onto the rim and the pomping gets them seated.

Some feedback for you Reme, I was unable to seat an old (worn) Maxxis Aggressor 2.3 the other day, pumped the air tank to 11, no dice. So I went down to Williams and used their compressor and it went up.

But the new Disector and Assegaai went up without hassles. I think the stout sidewalls help.

So the air tank has its limits, and it seems that it doesn't deal well with flimsy sidewalls. Mayne the giant air tank has a slower flow rate?

Some feedback for you Reme, I was unable to seat an old (worn) Maxxis Aggressor 2.3 the other day, pumped the air tank to 11, no dice. So I went down to Williams and used their compressor and it went up.

But the new Disector and Assegaai went up without hassles. I think the stout sidewalls help.

So the air tank has its limits, and it seems that it doesn't deal well with flimsy sidewalls. Mayne the giant air tank has a slower flow rate?

Would make sense, the Eliminators that I am ridding now I can seat with a HV floor pump, no tank required, the back one the other hand needs 2 people, but I blame the dents in the rim for that one. Lol

Internal width on the rim could even a factor I guess.

On my stands crest the giant was again useless there, I could however blow the Forekaster off the rim with the floor pump again.

It probably is just useless, or I’m useless.

reviving an old thread... Do you leave the foot pump 'plugged in' to the booster then pomp furiously once the tank has blown it's load?

I do that with all tires and the initial 'blast' gets the bead onto the rim and the pomping gets them seated.

Had tried that, mixed results with that method

HACK

I used my last bacon strip helping out a roadie fix his tubeless tyres a while ago and forgot to replace the strips.

Picked up a nice little hole in the sidewall this past weekend and when wanting to fix the tyre realised I was out of bacon strips .... so I made beef strips.

Took some leather, cut to strips and coated this with patch solution ..... plugged the tyre in the conventional manner and it looks to be holding air well.

The real test will be a spin down the trails this weekend, best I pack a tube for incase.

Maybe I've been lucky with seating tires. 

I use a high volume car compressor that I bought for 4x4 adventures in the Zook. Nice constant stream of air at 160l/m and 30psi. 

I true test was seating Schwalble Hans Dampfs. Was a little fiddly and I'm sure a wack of soapy water would have helped. 

yup...I second that Schwalbe's are some of the worst tyres to get seated tubeless. Maybe that is why you get a Schwalbe tubeless kits? The rest i have tried I could all do with a normal floor pump, and dry. 

Lyne's amp v2 wheels are some of the easiest I have set up too. I just put the tyre on dry and inflated it with a floor pump as usual. goes on 1st try. After all the beads pop in and you deflate the tyre again they sortof stay there. take the valve core out...half a bottle of enduro seal and inflate again. not once single swear word or drop of sealant outside the tyre lol

Inner tube sealant. Cheap as chips and will last a lifetime of seating tyres. 
Nip the tip off the nozzle, trace a light amount around the tyre bead and presto. Wipe off excess after (or don't) and go ride.