Cycling in Provence

Underachiever

Hi Hubland

Seems we're visiting Provence in Sept/Oct of this year.  I see Mt Ventoux is close to where we will be, so it will be a crying shame if I forego this opportunity.

Any suggestions on bike rental, etc. etc to make this a reality.

Thx!!

If you can also drive about an hour or so try 'Les Gorges de l'ardeche'  from 'Bourg St Andeol' to 'Vallon Pont d'Arc' .

Not as iconic as the Ventoux climb but a proper effort and very scenic

Ventoux bikes in malaucene. Excellent service and a good selection of road bikes

Love it, dankie!!

Another Q.  I assume these bikes have the right gearing, but if there is a choice what is the best option?

I normally ride a 39x27 on my racing bike, so a compact 34x28 or 34x30 should do the trick?

Love it, dankie!!

Another Q.  I assume these bikes have the right gearing, but if there is a choice what is the best option?

I normally ride a 39x27 on my racing bike, so a compact 34x28 or 34x30 should do the trick?

it is STEEP... 

Love it, dankie!!

I've not ridden Ventoux but I have ridden Monte Grappa which is similar ITO ascent and distance. The mountains there are big. proper big. Ventoux is the equivalent of 14 times suikerbossie IIRC. You want a compact. The rentals will have compacts with the biggest range cassettes possible.

Last year when we went to Mallorca we sent out measurements to the shop ahead of time and they set the bikes up for us. We took our own pedals gps's and saddles.

Try to figure out where you are staying and map some rides from that location on strava. You can then follow the routes on your gps when you get there. No getting lost. But buy a map and carry that in your pocket just in case. The bike shop will most likely have a map that you can buy. I framed my sweat stained Mallorca map from last year. I stare at it wistfully from time to time.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I've not ridden Ventoux but I have ridden Monte Grappa which is similar ITO ascent and distance. The mountains there are big. proper big. Ventoux is the equivalent of 14 times suikerbossie IIRC. You want a compact. The rentals will have compacts with the biggest range cassettes possible.

Last year when we went to Mallorca we sent out measurements to the shop ahead of time and they set the bikes up for us. We took our own pedals gps's and saddles.

Try to figure out where you are staying and map some rides from that location on strava. You can then follow the routes on your gps when you get there. No getting lost. But buy a map and carry that in your pocket just in case. The bike shop will most likely have a map that you can buy. I framed my sweat stained Mallorca map from last year. I stare at it wistfully from time to time.

I see Ventoux Bikes rents out great specced bikes (light weight and correct gearing) for much less than expected.  So now to get into shape and make sure my itinerary can allow for this!!

I see Ventoux Bikes rents out great specced bikes (light weight and correct gearing) for much less than expected.  So now to get into shape and make sure my itinerary can allow for this!!

IMO. Riding in Europe is VERY special. Especially on hallowed ground like Ventoux. Remember to take a spare bottle and leave it at the Charlie Simpson Memorial.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

it is STEEP...

Yup - I can remember being so grateful for the kilometre segments that were *ONLY* 9% so that I could recover!

And also - the f*&%#king flies on the lower slopes through the forest drove me nuts!!

Hi Hubland

Seems we're visiting Provence in Sept/Oct of this year.  I see Mt Ventoux is close to where we will be, so it will be a crying shame if I forego this opportunity.

Any suggestions on bike rental, etc. etc to make this a reality.

Thx!!

We stayed in Lacoste in the Luberon - I rode to Bedoin where my wife was waiting at one of the bike hire places. She hired a bike and we both rode up Ventoux. My ride for the day was something like 120kms of amazing French countryside.

We hired a bike from the bike rental place at kilometre 0 of the climb (called something like La Route Ventoux) - great bike. Great service.

IMO. Riding in Europe is VERY special. Especially on hallowed ground like Ventoux. Remember to take a spare bottle and leave it at the Charlie Simpson Memorial.

A stone will also do just fine.  If you have any humour left in you by the time you pass the memorial you must be a fun guy!

We did a five day bike trip that started in Avignon, toured the most beautiful villages of the Luberon, summited Mt Ventoux and ended up in Avignon again.  Self supported with rented bikes.  Those five days ended being significantly cheaper than the rest of our holiday; more significantly it was the best European holiday experience I've ever had.

Cycling tourism in that region is out of this world.  There are exclusive bike routes that often cut through amazing pieces of the countryside and hills that you can only see on these bike routes.

Mmm, Strava segments not that helpful.  

I see a segment East to West starting in Sault, but nothing West to East? only a downhill section?

Which ascent is the one that all is talking about?

Mmm, Strava segments not that helpful.  

I see a segment East to West starting in Sault, but nothing West to East? only a downhill section?

Which ascent is the one that all is talking about?

There are three approaches and they've done all three in the Tour, but the most legendary climb is this one:

https://www.strava.com/segments/1590076

The Bédoin climb is the most challenging.  It is via this approach that Tom Simpson famously perished, Armstrong and Pantani had one of the most legendary mountain top finishes of all time and Chris Froome took up running after his bike was damaged in a crash.

Edited by thisismyotherbike

There are three approaches and they've done all three in the Tour, but the most legendary climb is this one:

https://www.strava.com/segments/1590076

The Bédoin climb is the most challenging.  It is via this approach that Tom Simpson famously perished, Armstrong and Pantani had one of the most legendary mountain top finishes of all time and Chris Froome took up running after his bike was damaged in a crash.

The whole Tour De LaProvence was shown on Supersport over the weekend, including the Bedoin ascent to Chalet Reynard.  Got g a really good picture of what the area has to offer!!

Edited by Underachiever