Cycling in Provence

Underachiever

There are three approaches and they've done all three in the Tour, but the most legendary climb is this one:

https://www.strava.com/segments/1590076

The Bédoin climb is the most challenging. It is via this approach that Tom Simpson famously perished, Armstrong and Pantani had one of the most legendary mountain top finishes of all time and Chris Froome took up running after his bike was damaged in a crash.

The last 5/6km from Bedoin and Sault is the same.

I was lucky enough to do Ventoux a few years back.

And stupid enough to do all three sides in one day ????

Started Bedoin and first 6km or so was, this is fine, only 4%. Until you turn up through the forest which goes to over 10%. That hurt!

Was a long day out and weather was up and down, like the road, but great experience!

My ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/717608449

My boet Andydude (hiding on bikehub somewhere) stayed in the south of France and decided to do all 3 Mont Ventoux routes in one ride in one day (Hy was op soos n paar Bruce Fordyce tekkies). He should be be able to give you some great tips. Chat to him.

Here is his ride on Strava to see all the routes: https://www.strava.com/activities/717608449

Edited by Johnie5

Lucky enough to have in-laws with a house in the Petit Luberon valley, about 5km from a picturesque Provencal town called Gordes (check it out, well worth it!). So we're about 40km from Sault, one of the three towns at the base of Ventoux. The others being Malaucene and Bedoin.

The round trip from home to Sault, up the Ventoux and back is a decent 130km and 3000m vert. Sault to the summit is the longest of the three ascents, meaning the gradient is the gentlest. I highly recommend it as it starts through rolling lavender fields and then into steeper forest before merging with the route up from Bedoin at Chalet Reynard.

I've ridden all three and prefer Sault over Bedoin to the top as it's a bit more mellow. Either of them is better than Malaucene! Also done all three in one day. But that takes a bit more planning (and fitness).

Hot tip: if you can, go ride the Gorges de la Nesque, from Villes sur Auzon to Monieux (up) or Monieux to Villes sur Auzon (down). It is possibly the best stretch of road riding in the entire Provencal area. Not as much of a bucketlist for people as Ventoux, but more spectacular scenery and waaaay more interesting riding. Definitely worth another day's bike hire. 

Whatever route you choose, settle in, wave to your fellow climbers and enjoy. Spectacular stuff. 

Been studying the area and options!! Watching the recent Tour de LaProvence helped a hell of a lot.

Seems a better option to rent a bike for a week to get the full potential of the trip.

Will be renting a mid-size car so it will be better to have a bike rack fitted.  Does anyone have experience in this?

Oh, do I drag my helmet all the way there or can you rent them too?  Didn't see that level of detail on the websites yet.

Edited by Underachiever

My boet Andydude (hiding on bikehub somewhere) staywas ed in the south of France and decided to do all 3 Mont Ventoux routes in one ride in one day (Hy op soos n paar Bruce Fordyce tekkies). He should be be able to give you some great tips. Chat to him.

Here is his ride on Strava to see all the routes: https://www.strava.com/activities/717608449

:clap:  :D

The last 5/6km from Bedoin and Sault is the same.

I was lucky enough to do Ventoux a few years back.

And stupid enough to do all three sides in one day

Started Bedoin and first 6km or so was, this is fine, only 4%. Until you turn up through the forest which goes to over 10%. That hurt!

Was a long day out and weather was up and down, like the road, but great experience!

My ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/717608449

I see you've spend a lot of time in Provence. Looked like fun!! 

Been studying the area and options!! Watching the recent Tour de LaProvence helped a hell of a lot.

Seems a better option to rent a bike for a week to get the full potential of the trip.

Will be renting a mid-size car so it will be better to have a bike rack fitted.  Does anyone have experience in this?

Oh, do I drag my helmet all the way there or can you rent them too?  Didn't see that level of detail on the websites yet.

Bump...