Hubbers in Africa

Slowbee

Often I see posts from hubbers who have place names from the African continent.

We are planning a bit of a road trip soon, so was wondering if there are any hubbers who either live or work for extended times in Africa.

Might be good to get some insights into the countries they live and work in.

Often I see posts from hubbers who have place names from the African continent.

We are planning a bit of a road trip soon, so was wondering if there are any hubbers who either live or work for extended times in Africa.

Might be good to get some insights into the countries they live and work in.

Ok, you got my attention  :D  how far are you planning to go/how much time do you have on your hands and what sort of stuff are you into re wildlife/adventure etc

Ok, you got my attention  :D  how far are you planning to go/how much time do you have on your hands and what sort of stuff are you into re wildlife/adventure etc

6 months - Turn around point is southern Ethiopia after seeing a Red Wolf in the Ethiopian Highlands

Put car on boat at Dar Es Salaam to get back to CT - we fly home.

Wildlife, twitching, landscapes, ecosystems, culture, people ...

6 months - Turn around point is southern Ethiopia after seeing a Red Wolf in the Ethiopian Highlands

Rwanda looks like a good place to include

When you get to Moshi.... Look up TPC which is a private sugarcane estate. They have great accommodation and it would be a nice little Oasis. Also a good point to explore Kilimanjaro and the ngora ngora crater from

When you get to Moshi.... Look up TPC which is a private sugarcane estate. They have great accommodation and it would be a nice little Oasis. Also a good point to explore Kilimanjaro and the ngora ngora crater from

Where the flip is Moshi

Google gives me zip

Where the flip is Moshi

Google gives me zip

Use Google maps.. It's the main town where all Kilimanjaro hikes originate from. There are basically two towns in that region. Moshi and Arusha. Moshi for the mountain....Arusha for the Serengeti

Use Google maps.. It's the main town where all Kilimanjaro hikes originate from. There are basically two towns in that region. Moshi and Arusha. Moshi for the mountain....Arusha for the Serengeti

will try again

Our current loose plan is to travel from Cape Town, through Botswana to Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania on the more Western Side, into Burundi, Rwanda, Uganda, South Ethiopia, Kenya and then into the eastern side of Tanzania.

We have traveled Namibia, Botswana and western Zambia and hence they are not really on the agenda.

Zimbabwe we can travel during school holidays - Moz is a bit to unstable for our level of risk.

Angola will be a destination for later.

I have posted on the 4x4 forum to get input from others on places to see.

In terms of Rwanda - I really want to go to the genocide museum.

The latest Birding Magazine had the top 10 places to bird in Uganda - so we have those places sorted.

That’s going to involve some thought and typing, I’ll get back to you but am jealous already

That’s going to involve some thought and typing, I’ll get back to you but am jealous already

Eish - keep it simple. Nothing to complicated.

Our biggest challenge at the moment are the ever changing rules regarding TIP's and carnets.

Get in touch with Simon Blake when you're headed to Kenya. He'll be a great source of info (I've never met him but was on whatsapp group chat and he had some very cool stuff).

https://kenyanriderssafaricom.com/simon-blake

https://www.mtb-tribe.com/020-simon-blake-sports-director-for-african-mtb-cycling-development/

If you need some bike contacts in Nairobi (Karen area), send me a PM and I'll forward you some numbers.

LBS in Karen, Nairobi https://www.bikeshop.co.ke/ - Kevin (the mechanic) will sort your bike out nicely and Dave (the owner) is a great guy who can help get you in touch with some riding groups if you need.

In terms of Rwanda - I really want to go to the genocide museum.

I visited it last week after finishing the Race around Rwanda. I haven't fully internalised it yet, and I'm not sure that I ever will, however I do believe that the 4hrs I spent there will have changed me for life.

Edited by Dusty