Cyclist down in Camps Bay

FootballingCyclist

Hi All.

I cycled past a scene at approx 8:45 on the little drag up as you exit Camps Bay on the 1st little left bend where a cyclist was laying on the pavement, pedestrians were administering CPR, they had put his head on a pillow amd helmet was off. I didn't notice a damaged bike or any blood on scene (I frankly didn't want to stop as there were already a few cyclists on scene and runners), So cannot say whether he was knocked over or it was perhaps a heart attack/stroke.

If anyone has any update please let us know. A fire engine was on it's way as I went up over the hill, really hoping that the cyclist is ok and pulls through.

Passed by at the same time ... never a nice sight.

Not sure how credible, but I've heard that it was a heart attack.

They were apparently able to resuscitate and transfer to hospital.

Almost 30mins without oxygen can't be good for the brain, BUT in saying that, I'm sure his family and himself would prefer being alive and that's all that matters. Great news to end off this evening.

Almost 30mins without oxygen can't be good for the brain, BUT in saying that, I'm sure his family and himself would prefer being alive and that's all that matters. Great news to end off this evening.

if they were administrating cpr correctly he would have sufficient oxygen. :thumbup:

This is a great effort by all involved.  Thank you for the effort.  :clap:

It was ALL about the patient #not

Don’t get me wrong!! I’m very happy they did some good work.

Quick to judge I see, doubt the person they saved will mind the hashtags

Quick to judge I see, doubt the person they saved will mind the hashtags

I’m sure they will be extremely grateful.

But it does open a little window into people’s thinking.

Edited by Patchelicious

Well done.

Thanks for the hashtags. This serves a reminder for me to renew my First Aid training, especially CPR.

This also serves as note of encouragement for everyone to learn Basic First Aid, you just never know when you will get called upon

It is a great reminder that we should probably all get some training on CPR and basic first aid if we cycle in groups, and make sure that we have our #SamsungGalaxy with us at all times so that we can take 12MP pictures.

Always good to go say thanks and encourage the people who help us:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157506242002740&set=a.10154453347947740&type=3

• 2 weeks later...

Good Day

This was my husband, Pierre Malan who had a heart attack.

Thank you to his brother for starting the CPR and the Doctor that was on holiday who assisted

As well as the fantastic team of paramedics.

He was definitely surrounded by a team of angels that day.

It has been a scary two weeks, but I am happy to say he is looking better each day and hopefully will be back in the saddle in the near future.

To all who assisted - from the bottom of my heart

Thank you

Nikki Malan

Nice to hear a happy ending. 

As a mountain bike guide I have to have an up to date First Aid certificate. I got mine via a 20hr course with the Red Cross here in Spain. The sort of thing you hope you'll never need, but stuff happens. 

Good Day

Thank you to his brother for starting the CPR and the Doctor that was on holiday who assisted

It has been a scary two weeks, but I am happy to say he is looking better each day and hopefully will be back in the saddle in the near future.

Thank you

Nikki Malan

Nikki, thank you for posting. It is indeed fantastic news.

This far in 2020, your post is the best first post I have seen!

Best wishes to Pierre, hope to see him out riding before too long.

Good Day

Thank you

Nikki Malan

Great news Nikki - when one of us goes down we all feel it

We react in different ways but it worries us and we wish you and Pierre all the best