More suitable bike for heavier guys

AMid

Hi All

TOTAL newbie to this forum story (I'm sure I probably stuffed this up :)

Im looking for new bike advice pls.

I prefer mainly marathon type riding, maybe 10% trails.

I've had two alloy Giant Anthems, both bikes ended up with cracked seat post tubes, just above the top bar join. Super frustrating.....

I'm 105kgs and 1.95cm tall, so not a little human....

Any constructive advise would be HIGHLY appreciated like brand / size etc.

Edited by AMid

Hi All

I've had two alloy Giant Anthems, both bikes ended up with cracked seat post tubes, just above the top bar join. Super frustrating.....

I'm also 105kg, and have riden anything from carbon xc bikes, to 160mm enduro bikes, to road bikes and gravel bikes. Never any issies because of the weight - so I am gonna go ahead and say it'a not that. You are not that heavy....

But, you are tall. Very tall. So I am also going to guess that your seatposts are extended very far out of the frame. Post a pic of your bike? What this probably means is that you have very little seatpost in your frame which is probably where you will find your frames have cracked.

General rule of thumb is to have at least 10cm of seatpost insertion, bit at yout height and weight I'd want more in the frame.

So if the above is the case - you have 2 options, look for a super long seatpost (some droppers are over 50cm long), or look for a bike with a high seat tube. Unfortunately with the way bikes are going seat tubes are getting lower to accomodate longer travel dropper posts - so option 1 is going to be easiest (and cheapest).

But anyway, post a pic of the bike and where it cracked and take some measurements to see how much seatpost you have in the frame - I' curious to see if what I described is the case...

I'm also 105kg, and have riden anything from carbon xc bikes, to 160mm enduro bikes, to road bikes and gravel bikes. Never any issies because of the weight - so I am gonna go ahead and say it'a not that. You are not that heavy....

But, you are tall. Very tall. So I am also going to guess that your seatposts are extended very far out of the frame. Post a pic of your bike? What this probably means is that you have very little seatpost in your frame which is probably where you will find your frames have cracked.

General rule of thumb is to have at least 10cm of seatpost insertion, bit at yout height and weight I'd want more in the frame.

So if the above is the case - you have 2 options, look for a super long seatpost (some droppers are over 50cm long), or look for a bike with a high seat tube. Unfortunately with the way bikes are going seat tubes are getting lower to accomodate longer travel dropper posts - so option 1 is going to be easiest (and cheapest).

But anyway, post a pic of the bike and where it cracked and take some measurements to see how much seatpost you have in the frame - I' curious to see if what I described is the case...

Oh, and Giant's warranty is great - so try that. I'm sure they will replace the frame for you - and if it is the faulty model mentioned they should replace it with a more modern edition.

Thanks guys, but yes I am on a super long seatpost already, it's at least 5 inches inside the tube and well below the join at the top bar. Have warranteed them but considering moving away from the brand anyhow. Was more wondering if certain brands were possibly stronger than others. Yes, I believe they have had some design flaws , cracked seat post tube seems common .........eish

snip

i'm 197 and my seatpost sits at about 260mm out of the frame. it is frame size dependant obviously as mentioned....but he's not THAT tall lol. I have a  205cm cousin. anything with an effective seat tube around 500mm will be just fine for that length when it comes to seatpost.

any xl frame will gladly come in under 300mm seatpost giving you that 100mm if you use 400mm post....not to mention a dropper which is a non issue.

PS...op if you are on asize  L or smaller bike....yes then you have issues lol

Edited by morneS555

I think then it's just bad luck with that model, because as reliable and quality builds go - Giant frames are up there.

If you really want a strong build get yourself a steel frame. The likes of Cotic and Mercer come to mind. Limited options in the marathon flavour - but that could work.

i'm 197 and my seatpost sits at about 260mm out of the frame. it is frame size dependant obviously as mentioned....but he's not THAT tall lol. I have a 205cm cousin. anything with an effective seat tube around 500mm will be just fine for that length when it comes to seatpost.

any xl frame will gladly come in under 300mm seatpost giving you that 100mm if you use 400mm post....not to mention a dropper which is a non issue.

PS...op if you are on asize L or smaller bike....yes then you have issues lol

Hahaha to me, 1.95 is VERY tall.

also...the older trail bike geometries have those slack seat tubes mos....probably why they crack in the first place in that spot imo. 

+1 for a metal as F@#$ bike

steel is real. plastic is for chip bags. :P

Sweeeeeet. So basically any brand really with XL frame, and seriously long seat post!

Would the newer bikes that come standard with dropper posts be okay ? (Know nothing about dropper post sorry)

Hi All

Nah you not so heavy Bro. Sime much bigger guys riding

I nearly had a heart attack the other day. Beeeg chap checks out my Lynskey with a lauf fork and Crest wheels on. Says flip its a nice bike, mounts it and takes,off along the gravel road. Told me afterwards that he weighs 145kg.

Luckily my bike didnt fail.

Riding the same type anthem and weighing in at my overweightest 116kgs without gear.

Have a gusset Lofty 450 Seatpost. Stand up over big bumps and descents. Frame looks and feels great. Wouldn't mind a crack so I could get an update, but at the moment it's lasting so well.

Steel is always gonna rock, but with your height, get a loooong Seatpost to make sure. Make sure your technique is not steamrolling over dips and bumps, and you should be good to go.

Hahaha to me, 1.95 is VERY tall.

Yip to me 195 is monstrous the 105 is nothing at nearly 20cm shorter I weighed 115 once upon a time luckily down to below 100 now and on a large so you would definitely need a XL.

Sweeeeeet. So basically any brand really with XL frame, and seriously long seat post!

Would the newer bikes that come standard with dropper posts be okay ? (Know nothing about dropper post sorry)

I'm 2.05 and tip the scale at 120kg. I've been riding my XL Silverback Stratos AL2 since mid December without any issues. As someone else mentioned earlier - I stand up on the pedals on descents and over the bumpy stuff 

even XXL actually

AMid my one riding buddy is closer to 130kg ..... not as tall as you.

He has been riding the same Giant for many years.  He has gravity on his side, and picks up some serious speed on Bury Stander !!

no cracks thus far.

Two possibilities - both mentioned before :

- to tall saddle shaft

- sounds like you might have the older dud frame model ...

there is one other possibility .... sorry if I am totally off track here ..... going downhill requires some technique, bum out the saddle, knees bent, pumping away as you go over the bumps .....  I have had a situation where the bump KICKED the bike up to my bum so hard that the saddle dislodged !!  We often see people riding trails seated ... this is very hard on the bike.