Nissan Trailseeker series #1 Banhoek MTB - Lack of security = Theft

Paul v D

Hi hubbers 

I did the half marathon mtb race over the weekend at Banhoek and I quite enjoyed it. What I didn't enjoy was finishing the race got back to my car just to find they broke in and stole almost everything. While standing at my car comprehending what happened another rider came and said they stole his car (3 cars down from mine) and robbed a lady while she was walking to her car. This all happened in the designated secure parking lot next to the event. The parking lot is as big as a rugby field and Nissan Trailseeker organization only appointed 2 security guys to monitor the field. 

Approx value stolen 16k excluding damaged to my car always nice ending a lekker ride/day like that. 

Edited by PaulvDyk

sorry to hear about the loss..

on my way out of the event i did notice quite a few locals (non riders) making their way towards the event start/finish and parking area.

having 2 security guys for the entire area is crazy if correct!?

Nissan trailseeker never stops surprising us with their organising skills... last year I was standing in a queue for 30 mins to get my plate number, ended up starting 10 mins after my starting time because there were very few desks to process everyone. Apparently this year registration process is sorted but now this :/

sorry to hear about the loss..

on my way out of the event i did notice quite a few locals (non riders) making their way towards the event start/finish and parking area.

having 2 security guys for the entire area is crazy if correct!?

I asked the security guys why didn't they see anything and the reply was we are only 2 to monitor the parking area. 

I heard about the thefts - a mate was parked closeby. Appalling.

Something else that concerned me at the trailseeker was the absence of oversight of riders on the course. I finished in the bottom third of the long route and overtook plenty of short route backmarkers in the last 10km. At this stage my garmin was showing temperature of 44 degrees - these backmarkers were suffering horribly - cramps, lying down on the side of the trail, walking really slowly up those last hills. There was not a single marshal to be seen in those last 10k. They can organise to have 6 or 7 photographers stationed, something that generates a revenue, but I don't feel that enough was done to mitigate the risks of a highly technical route in extreme weather conditions.

Waterpoints were adequate but there was no salt available at the points and all were staffed by school children. It's not good enough really.

I enjoy the trailseekers, the challenge is a great leveller but I really felt for those guys I saw suffering. I  - I wrote to them on Saturday after the event and havn't received a reply so thought I'll mention my concerns here here. 

Did the 20km event with my son, heat was bad upwards of 35 degrees in that last section.

I parked right at the furthest point away  from the gate and was very uneasy after seeing some youngsters loitering around below the parking area. After reading about the theft incidents I am glad that we decided to keep our bikes with us till after price giving and only then went back to my vehicle.