If I think my new e-bike motor is not running, does that thought remove all doubt?

Ed

Newbie, 66 vintage male. I bought a 250w rear hub, Bafang engined ebike as an experiment to see if a 25km daily commute would work for me.

I don't think the motor is contributing because

1. The current displayed on the controller does not vary past one bar, regardless of the load on the motor.

2. I have only had three short rides, but come to a standstill on a short incline every time, no matter what my gearing and momentum strategy is.

3. I don't hear the motor running

4. It seems easier to go up the hill with the controller off. At the very least, there is no difference.

5. The cable into the motor hub looks dodgy, and I believe that this is often terminal for these motors.

Bike a couple of weeks old.

Am I riding like a pillock, or is the motor not running?

PS Go easy on me, please!

Hi Ed

Welcome to the Hub.

Did you buy it new ?  Best bet would be to go back to the shop and let them sort it out.  It certainly does not sound right.

If you bought it second hand - there are more and more shops maintaining these systems.  :thumbup:   If you tell us where you are, somebody will point you to the nearest service centre.

Newbie, 66 vintage male. I bought a 250w rear hub, Bafang engined ebike as an experiment to see if a 25km daily commute would work for me.

1. The current displayed on the controller does not vary past one bar, regardless of the load on the motor.

2. I have only had three short rides, but come to a standstill on a short incline every time, no matter what my gearing and momentum strategy is.

4. It seems easier to go up the hill with the controller off. At the very least, there is no difference.

5. The cable into the motor hub looks dodgy, and I believe that this is often terminal for these motors.

Find a steepish hill and tide it with the ebike.Then ride the same hill on normal bike.You’ll quickly realize if the motor is working [emoji3]

ps the hub motors are pretty quiet.

Thanks, Chris, bought it new, and live in Durbanville. I plan to take it up with the suppliers, but wanted to check that there wasn't a sub-class of newbie e-bikers that couldn't feel the peddle assistance on their new bikes, (even if it was nuclear powered), before I asked for help????

Find a steepish hill and tide it with the ebike.Then ride the same hill on normal bike.You’ll quickly realize if the motor is working [emoji3]

ps the hub motors are pretty quiet.

This is the reply that I was scared of, thanks gummibear????. The thing is that, controller on, or off, the hill feels the same, or, even, easier, with it off. A real huff and puff for me. Edited by Ed

Thanks, Chris, bought it new, and live in Durbanville. I plan to take it up with the suppliers, but wanted to check that there wasn't a sub-class of newbie e-bikers that couldn't feel the peddle assistance on their new bikes, (even if it was nuclear powered), before I asked for help

As Gummibear suggested ..... test it against a normal bike.

You KNOW when the ebike motor assists !!!  :thumbup:   :w00t:

it is very possible that one of the sensors is not set up properly, and that you are just riding a very heavy bike .... with no assistance.

CHRIS SAID :

it is very possible that one of the sensors is not set up properly, and that you are just riding a very heavy bike .... with no assistance.

END

That's exactly what it feels like, thanks Chris. Plan to plug, and unplug, everything, and try again..

Edited by Ed

250w is a fair chunk of power so you'll definitely feel the assistance it if it was working properly.

At the OP it seems if you are quite strong on the bike to move it without the "motor" , why not just carry on as if the "motor" is working. Imagine after a year how strong you could be??  :w00t:  :w00t:

If you previously rode with mates, they'll tell you if the motor is running. A mate of mine bought an e-bike. Previous rides with him were recovery rides for me. Now...he gets to chat on the hills and I'm pulling big amps!

If that has a hub motor then you should have a throttle to test if the motor runs or not.

Its highly likey that your cadence sensor is not working. 

If it is working you "Froome" up the hills, believe me .

Thanks all you wonderful peeps.  Taking the bike down to Durbanville Cycles, to get a second opinion on whether the bike is working, or not, and then, on to the suppliers, if it is not working :thumbup: