Solutions for loadshedding

Rocket-Boy

Hey all, Im aware there are some topics already covering some of this but it is quite diluted and I was hoping to keep this geared towards solutions for home.

Im currently looking at an inverter setup with the aim of adding solar at a later stage to drastically lower my reliance on Eskom. I have done a lot of research and Im getting closer to narrowing it down to something that would work for me.

There must be others thinking about it so I figured this could be a place to share ideas.

www.powerforum.co.za is also a great source for info and has some very knowledgeable members. 

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all, Im aware there are some topics already covering some of this but it is quite diluted and I was hoping to keep this geared towards solutions for home.

Im currently looking at an inverter setup with the aim of adding solar at a later stage to drastically lower my reliance on Eskom. I have done a lot of research and Im getting closer to narrowing it down to something that would work for me.

There must be others thinking about it so I figured this could be a place to share ideas.

www.powerforum.co.za is also a great source for info and has some very knowledgeable members. 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! please keep the noobs off powerforum, it is very useful currently.

it all depends on what you need and what you have.

not sure what the rules are in slummies, but the 25% NMD limit is a serious constraint if you want to be grid tied for residential.(a 60A system caps you at 3.3kW inverter max)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! please keep the noobs off powerforum, it is very useful currently.

not sure what the rules are in slummies, but the 25% NMD limit is a serious constraint if you want to be grid tied for residential.(a 60A system caps you at 3.3kW inverter max)

για μένα

I need to run 2 fridges, a chest freezer, a few lights and 2 ceiling fans.

I need to stay on the grid for geyser backup (when the sun don't shine) and pool pump, from what I understand, I need a moerse inverter + crap load of batteries to run my pool pump without having to change the motor (.75kw)

just need to get of my backside and get the okes to assess and give me a quote.

Was looking for the same solution but sourcing the inverter and batteries myself until i saw this link just now.

https://www.geewiz.co.za/long-run-ups-inverter-battery/108831-axpert-type-pure-sine-3000va-inverter-2x-100ah-battery-8-hour-battery-life-kit-3000w-50a-solar.html?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=retargeting&utm_campaign=lowerfunnel

για μένα

I need to stay on the grid for geyser backup (when the sun don't shine) and pool pump, from what I understand, I need a moerse inverter + crap load of batteries to run my pool pump without having to change the motor (.75kw)

I also want to run 2 fridges and a freezer. Then also 2 fishtanks.

My lights are more or less sorted. I have some solar powered flood lights, and a 120Ah battery operating 10w led 12v lights inside. The inside lights need to become a permanent fixture tho. We have moved more or less away from using eskom for lights. I am not too fussed about a tv not being on. I will contribute that payment to eskom. Just need to get  the right size solar panels, some more batteries and pure sine invertor, then I am good. Currently working on getting a solar panel.

my old manager when i used to be an engineer always used to tell me

"to measure is to know"

(te meet is om te weet)

before you plan anything, do some monitoring

https://www.sustainable.co.za/efergy-elite-classic-wireless-electricity-monitor.html

will help you size the correct system for your needs.

Definitely agree on this. 

To size an inverter you need to understand what the peak load will be on it at any given time.

Most inverters have a bypass function that will allow it to redirect to the grid if you are attempting to pull more power than it can deliver.

Certain loads(aircons, induction motors etc) all pull a much higher current at startup than when running continuously. That needs to be taken into account.

Another alternative for measuring power draw is a Sonoff POW R2, I have one on a short extension lead which I swap between various appliances to see what kind of power is being used. At around R300 for the test setup its cheap as chips.

https://www.smartkit.co.za/product/sonoff-pow-r2/

για μένα

The fridges and freezer are not a big deal really and should be easy enough.

The Pool pump I would recommend putting on a smaller separate off-grid inverter with its own solar panels.

My uncle did that recently and the pool pump can operate happily during hours of sunlight which is plenty. It saves a lot of money too.

I was running something very similar for the last few years until the batteries gave out.

Looking at the cost of replacement lead-acid/AGM I decided to rather investigate a bigger system.

That advertised kit will do a great job, the only downside is you have to run an extension cable to whatever you want to power. Its not going to cover your lights(unless its a lamp with a power cable) and you will be limited by distance on what you can plug in.

Having said that the Axpert listed can be mounted and connected to a sub-panel DB to cover your house, you just need to be aware of what is turned on during loadshedding.

για μένα

I don't agree with this. 750w not that big, and just run it when you got power.

this is not a MOERSE inverter (all things being relative)

https://www.sustainable.co.za/sustainable-co-za-3kwp-grid-tied-system-solar-power-kit.html

Its a great forums with super helpful people. It does get a bit confusing with all of the info available though.

Not sure on the NMD limit locally but I dont think anywhere but the Republic of Western Cape actually supports SSEG. Most times either a hybrid or off-grid inverter would sit on the grid side and prevent exporting of excess power so Im not sure it would apply.

yes but, I can't run it with the geyser

Is your geyser just a normal electric 2/3kw unit with no solar?

Those are very difficult to work with because they are pretty much maxing out smaller inverters from the time they get started.

Most often though you would separate out your "essential loads" from your "non-essential loads"

I.e your plugs and lights would be essential and others like pool pumps, geysers etc would be non-essential.

So when loadshedding is going the geyser and pool pump wouldnt work but the plugs and lights would.

Its the difference between say a R30k system and a R100k+ system.