Solutions for loadshedding

Rocket-Boy

On 6/11/2021 at 12:16 PM, Vetplant said:

Luckily, have not experienced this yet during working hours on my Fibre Line(Openserve/Afrihost) . But if they ramp up to stage 6 orders 8, we might start to struggle. 

Worst loadshedding to date has been two blocks of 2 hours in a day and the network stayed up. Maybe we just lucked out on proper backup at our exchange. 

Openserve is really good with backup power across their last mile nodes and backhaul's.

We get loadshed in 3 hour blocks in East London, it often happens where they turn the power on again and it trips due to load.

In those instances it can be anything up to 7 hours of no elec and Openserve fibre always stays up.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First Sonoff failure this morning. 
I did a firmware update on the soniff for the geyser, probably Friday. Yesterday I felt the geyser water was extra hot but thought nothing of it. 
This morning lying in bed we hear the sound of water, look outside the bathroom window and water is gushing from the geyser pipes. 

jump on eWeLink to turn power off to the geyser and that’s when I notice the water is at 86 deg. Turns out it lost its parameters with the firmware update. 

thankfully the pressure relief valves on the geyser did their job, by the time I got  into the roof to investigate the pressure had sorted itself out and everything was working again. 

The greater Alberton area has been affected by rolling outages for the best part of 2 years, some linked to load-shedding when it was planned. In the last 2-3 months it has been worse than ever and turns out there were only 2 transformers in working condition; whioch was never communicated to the masses.

Last week, out of the blue, they said they would be bringing transformer 3 online, to handle in the increased load. Then they said they would switch on transformer 4, which hadn't been running for more than a year.

Monday, they said there was transformer 5 that can also be recommissioned. It's a joke.

At this rate, we'll soon be able to supply the whole country off our grid. At least with me being mostly off-grid I can have a laugh at this joke that is the Ekurhuleni Metro.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 7:35 AM, ouzo said:

I guess this is a good place to pose the question.

In my kitchen I have regular florescent tube light on the ceiling, how easy is it to convert this to using LED tubes ? 

So I finally ventured off to replace the fluorescents and discovered that Osram will sell you an LED tube with a replacement ballast as a kit. 
I installed 3 of them today, had to take the one back and swap it out though as it was dead out the box. 

12 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Ouzo how do the prices compare currently, normal tubes vs the LED tubes ?

Honestly I didnt really compare. 

but just checking now on Builders website, an OSRAM normal tube is R28, plus a starter at R15, so R43. The OSRAM LED plus starter kit was R77.

thanks, i have two flourescent sets i needed to change as well.. 

popped in my first set of panels, 3 x 350w (baby system i know - Babysteps) .. so of course had the cloudiest days of the year (lol) 

But it already reduced my eishkom daily average usage . every little bit helps

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, EddieV said:

Has anyone have experience from this online store:

https://thepowerstore.co.za/collections/inverters/victron_phoenix

Looking at buying a Victron inverter from them?

Or any suggestions as to which store would be able to supply me with a Victron Phoenix inverter in Cape town?

Have you tried the distributors in Somerset West?  I'll try find details again, always get very good service from them. never compaired pricing though

This is the details I have of them, might have changed since last dealt with them

Block F, The Grove, Old Paardevlei Road, Somerset West, 7130

Ph: 021 851 8536 /  Fax: 021 852 0771

edit:  I emailed my normal contacts there, will see if they respond and edit the details if changed

Edited by Karman de Lange

1 hour ago, EddieV said:

Has anyone have experience from this online store:

https://thepowerstore.co.za/collections/inverters/victron_phoenix

Looking at buying a Victron inverter from them?

Or any suggestions as to which store would be able to supply me with a Victron Phoenix inverter in Cape town?

I built my system in March this year. I used three different online shops and they all delivered(for a fee).

https://solaradvice.co.za/shop/solar-power/solar-inverters/

https://www.bonanzatech.co.za/index.php?id_category=627&controller=category

https://www.inverter-warehouse.co.za/collections/solar-inverters-1/Victron

Good luck

1 hour ago, Karman de Lange said:

Have you tried the distributors in Somerset West?  I'll try find details again, always get very good service from them. never compaired pricing though

This is the details I have of them, might have changed since last dealt with them

Block F, The Grove, Old Paardevlei Road, Somerset West, 7130

Ph: 021 851 8536 /  Fax: 021 852 0771

edit:  I emailed my normal contacts there, will see if they respond and edit the details if changed

48 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Thank you

Was trying to get hold of a Victron Phoenix Inverter 24/3000-230V VE.Bus in order to be portable enough for off-grid and home back-up use. Reasoning for this inverter was installation/operation without the need for a mobile interface device for programming.

Made the purchase, now just holding thumbs CO stock record is correct as Cpt stores was out of stock, if not I'll have to go with the Multiplus or Smart inverters?

I thought I had my battery packs sorted, wanted to buy 8 x 3.2V LifePo4 cells, and then just add as I go along, but this morning I'm wondering whether that is a good idea?

It's a 24V system, but thinking, for the application, which is off-grid living, not close to any amenities or suppliers, I need to be able to source another battery if cells fail in a rural area.

Thus thinking of buying 12V batteries rather, but then do I go Gel, lead-acid or Lith-iron?

What risks is there if you have a mix of gel/lead-acid/Lith batteries in series / parallel to make up a 24V pack if it should come to that?

7 minutes ago, EddieV said:

I thought I had my battery packs sorted, wanted to buy 8 x 3.2V LifePo4 cells, and then just add as I go along, but this morning I'm wondering whether that is a good idea?

It's a 24V system, but thinking, for the application, which is off-grid living, not close to any amenities or suppliers, I need to be able to source another battery if cells fail in a rural area.

Thus thinking of buying 12V batteries rather, but then do I go Gel, lead-acid or Lith-iron?

What risks is there if you have a mix of gel/lead-acid/Lith batteries in series / parallel to make up a 24V pack if it should come to that?

you cannot mix lead/lith in same "pack".  

also, what BMS you going to use on the lith cells?   if good bms and reputable cells they should last very long time.  but normally best to just buy lith battery unit with nice bms and warranty

Also, if 1 cell packs up after few years, you have to buy whole new set as the balancing going to be screwed up after each cycle and most BMS's won't be able to handle such big difference

But ja.. in few years I doubt lead acid will still be option.   lith is comming down in price so quickly...

11 minutes ago, Karman de Lange said:

you cannot mix lead/lith in same "pack".  

also, what BMS you going to use on the lith cells?   if good bms and reputable cells they should last very long time.  but normally best to just buy lith battery unit with nice bms and warranty

Also, if 1 cell packs up after few years, you have to buy whole new set as the balancing going to be screwed up after each cycle and most BMS's won't be able to handle such big difference

But ja.. in few years I doubt lead acid will still be option.   lith is comming down in price so quickly...

Ja, I didn't think about a BMS if I get the 12V batteries, only if I bought the 8 x 3.2V cells .... I saw a nice kit here:

https://lithiumbatteriessa.co.za/collections/diy-kit/products/24v-8s-daly-smart-100ah-lifepo4-lithium-iron-phosphate-diy-kit-new-a-grade-cells?variant=38166158901415

I read this blog since my last post, but I think he is using the same type of batteries here although their loads are different? 

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/13366/mixing-battery-types-and-capacities-my-experiences.html

But I think I'm going with your advice then ..... back at BMS on a 8 x 3.2V lithium pack if I can find something in stock?

14 minutes ago, EddieV said:

Ja, I didn't think about a BMS if I get the 12V batteries, only if I bought the 8 x 3.2V cells .... I saw a nice kit here:

https://lithiumbatteriessa.co.za/collections/diy-kit/products/24v-8s-daly-smart-100ah-lifepo4-lithium-iron-phosphate-diy-kit-new-a-grade-cells?variant=38166158901415

I read this blog since my last post, but I think he is using the same type of batteries here although their loads are different? 

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/13366/mixing-battery-types-and-capacities-my-experiences.html

But I think I'm going with your advice then ..... back at BMS on a 8 x 3.2V lithium pack if I can find something in stock?

Currentley my advice to everyone is.. get cheap lead acids.. they will last 1-3 years depending on how many cycles.  then replace it with what ever is latest.   things are changings so fast and pricing dropping so quick, might be better investment in long term.

Also look at diybms..  you order the boards mostley premade , then have todo some soldering and works rather nice.  I'm busy building my next laptop battery pack using that.   only about 1kwh pack, so nice for testing.

5 hours ago, Karman de Lange said:

Currentley my advice to everyone is.. get cheap lead acids.. they will last 1-3 years depending on how many cycles.  then replace it with what ever is latest.   things are changings so fast and pricing dropping so quick, might be better investment in long term.

Also look at diybms..  you order the boards mostley premade , then have todo some soldering and works rather nice.  I'm busy building my next laptop battery pack using that.   only about 1kwh pack, so nice for testing.

WAY more than that .... IF you dont draw it below 50%.

We use between 20 to 40% of the battery each and every night.  On the odd occasion we use more than 50%, 2 or 3 times a year.

This system powers our lights, so it litterally gets used every single day.  It also powers a sound system for the garage and braai room .... lekker when tinkering on the bikes, and super handy during eksdom strikes.

Battery is 4 years old, and still in perfect condition  (touch wood)

Edited by ChrisF