Tygerberg MTB Club Trails

JasonS

Tygerberg MTB Club  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a member of the club?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, because most of the 150km of the trails are generally speaking, smooth as tar.
  2. 2. If you answered No to Q1: If TMTB was more open to the suggestions of it's members iro the technical nature of the trails, would you consider becoming a member?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A: I am a member
  3. 3. If you answered Yes to Q1: Would you like to see more of your membership fees spent on increasing the variety of the trail network?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A: I am not a member

What is with the messages here that says trails are open? There was an email that says all trails are closed....

Having said that, is majik, the climb to the beacon and the trails between Bloemendal and VanRiebeecksHof / OudeWesthof open? As far as I know those areas are public spaces and we can ride there? You wont be going through any TBMTB gates on those trails

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is with the messages here that says trails are open? There was an email that says all trails are closed....

Having said that, is majik, the climb to the beacon and the trails between Bloemendal and VanRiebeecksHof / OudeWesthof open? As far as I know those areas are public spaces and we can ride there? You wont be going through any TBMTB gates on those trails

Those messages are also dated 20 March, so pre-lockdown. Trails are still closed. 

Majik/etc should also be closed...all public park areas..

Well as far as I am aware, excercising is not constrained to tar only. Those areas are not public parks. They are public as in not being part of the trail network

Majik is a public access space, so should be a no go area like all parks IMO. Anyway, we know Bellville works under a diff set of laws. Well, it did when I lived on Majik anyway  :huh:

Majik is a public access space, so should be a no go area like all parks IMO. Anyway, we know Bellville works under a diff set of laws. Well, it did when I lived on Majik anyway  :huh:

as a matter of interest is there clarity on public spaces in the lockdown regs. How do they then differentiate between the streets in your suburb vs something like majik

i see botties is open for Bussiness.... Is tygerberg closed because it is club?

TB closed the trails when lockdown 5 was introduced, which is understandable. L4 allows exercise within 5 km of your home. Not sure what TBMTB club's reason is for keeping it closed. Maybe landowners / enforcement, etc.

The areas I referred to are actually areas that I am allowed on (under normal conditions) without a club membership, hence my question. May just take a ride out there one morning to find out.

Tygerberm club put out a notice to the effect of "landowners were OK to open up on Lvl 4, but we think it is a bad idea". On their Facebook, woudl link,but culled FB.

Personally I think it is the right move from them in the long term. We know people will not distance how they should and it's too risky unfortunately for an unnecessary activity :(

Tygerberm club put out a notice to the effect of "landowners were OK to open up on Lvl 4, but we think it is a bad idea". On their Facebook, woudl link,but culled FB.

Personally I think it is the right move from them in the long term. We know people will not distance how they should and it's too risky unfortunately for an unnecessary activity :(

Thought as much. Yes I don't see ppl distancing doing their road rides in the morning. Large groups.

Would still like to know if majik and VRiebeeckshof is allowed. Not that TBMTB has a say there mind you (assuming).

Edited by Puncture Kid

Would still like to know if majik and VRiebeeckshof is allowed. Not that TBMTB has a say there mind you (assuming).

People are riding there and TBMTB can't stop them (not that they are trying), so unless the municipality/police tells us it's not allowed I'm sure it's fine.

Tygerberg trails are closed due to a range of reasons, primarily being provincial government instructions according to the email sent out last week, and also because of severe rain damage on some trails, some missing stolen bridges and a ton of overgrowth in many places. According to the mail, the club is chomping at the bit to open, but will do so in accordance with landowner requirements and provincial and CoCT approval.

Correct - while our land owners are happy for us to return to the trails, the lack of clarity on the government gazette leaves it to the discretion of the police to decide if what we are doing is legal or not. Our lawyers have advised us to close the trails in the interim. Due to the size and visibility of the club, we are probably at a higher risk than some of the smaller networks for being targeted by over-zealous law enforcement officials.

We have sent a letter to the Premier requesting assistance with re-opening our trail network so we're trying to be as responsible as we can.

That said, I share the pain of many of our members. With the trail network a mere 300m from my home, the 5km radius would give plenty of riding territory. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so with Level 3 imminent, what is going to happen with the Tygerberg Trails?

Doubt the club will issue a letter until the Gazette is released ....

Then also getting buy-in from all the land owners ....

Lets hope this rain does not damage any trails ...