Handlebar height

charlesallsop

Hi All, after many years I am back in the saddle! just sold my 1995 Edge Quickshift which lasted all these years! now am the proud owner of a Silverback Spectra Sport.Lots has changed since 1995, but I cant seem to figure out how to raise the bars; i am 1.83m so when i have the saddle height correct the bars are too low. Doesnt seem to be any adjustment on the steering head,Any ideas?

Regards

Charlie

Spacers below the stem: https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/workshop/how-to-adjust-your-handlebar-height/

Edit: Welcome to the Hub and welcome back  :thumbup:. Yes, lots have changed

Edit edit: You can only add more spacers or switch them around if the steerer is long enough to allow that. Also note that the height of the handlebars can also be too low for you because your body may not be as flexible as it once was

Edited by RobertWhitehead

Hi All, after many years I am back in the saddle! just sold my 1995 Edge Quickshift which lasted all these years! now am the proud owner of a Silverback Spectra Sport.Lots has changed since 1995, but I cant seem to figure out how to raise the bars; i am 1.83m so when i have the saddle height correct the bars are too low. Doesnt seem to be any adjustment on the steering head,Any ideas?

Regards

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Are there any spacers on top of the stem? If there are, remove the stem, place the spacers underneath it and fit it all back together. Otherwise, if the steerer tube of the fork has been cut down and there is no area for spacers you will need to look at getting a set of riser bars

Hi Charlie,

Are there any spacers on top of the stem? If there are, remove the stem, place the spacers underneath it and fit it all back together. Otherwise, if the steerer tube of the fork has been cut down and there is no area for spacers you will need to look at getting a set of riser bars

Or a riser stem.

Edit: But if it is not slammed you are doing it wrong

Seriously look at this though: https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/pro-lt-adjustable-stem-c1143248?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-bjyBRCcARIsAFboWg3ZhjyfLqUcbg9o90Sx54T62N612zO2gyYerBIkhFYVAcRs61IRPIwaAjd9EALw_wcB

Edited by TDFN

There are also some 35 degree stems around (adjustable ones are not really for offroad use)
or riser bars with up to 3-4cm of rise

• 3 months later...

I hope you found a suitable solution... Just a quick one, spacers under the stem does not raise the bar,it actually changes the head angle and the reach. The only way to raise handlebars is to get a stem that is more upright or get a highrise bar..

I hope you found a suitable solution... Just a quick one, spacers under the stem does not raise the bar,it actually changes the head angle and the reach. The only way to raise handlebars is to get a stem that is more upright or get a highrise bar..

The only way to change the head angle is to change something under the head tube - like the fork or the tyre.

Moving spacers from on top of the stem to below the stem absolutely changes the height of the bars - by almost exactly the height of the spacers you move. The reach does change but very little given that most common head tubes are 67-70 degrees.

For the OP: The other option is to flip your stem. Normally bikes come with a 6 or 10 degree stem so you gain a bit of height by flipping it.

Like the others have said riser bars are another option.

It does increase the height of the bar, and ot shortens the reach because you are bringing the stem up on a steerer tube that slopes towards you.

It does not change the head angle at all.

But as others have mentioned - riser bar is ideal as it changes the height without changing the reach.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Lets get some formalities out the way before we assume that bar height is the problem.

What size frame are you on?

That is the right question!

Now that Bells is legal - you may have one sir :-)

Silly little question, I am sure I know the answer to, but want to make sure before I actually buy...

I want to get some 31.8 carbon bars, Rapide and Lyne have at a reasonable price, but they are flat bars, and I currently have 20mm riser bars on, if I put 20mm spacers below my stem with the flat bars, will I land up with the same bar height, but with ever so slightly shorter reach?

Silly little question, I am sure I know the answer to, but want to make sure before I actually buy...

I want to get some 31.8 carbon bars, Rapide and Lyne have at a reasonable price, but they are flat bars, and I currently have 20mm riser bars on, if I put 20mm spacers below my stem with the flat bars, will I land up with the same bar height, but with ever so slightly shorter reach?

Correct about 7mm shorter reach.

But depending on the back sweep of the flatbar(usually less than a riser bar) this could be reduced by up to 5mm

Good old pythagorus.

If your head angle is 70 degrees then a 20mm rise in spacers will give you a 17.3mm vertical height increase and 10mm back. 

Edit: I hope - it has been some years since I used sin, cos and tan :-)

Edited by Eldron