Larger groups stopping on Suikerbossie

Nords

I was riding this morning and noticed this group of riders had stopped at the top of Suikerbossie in a big bunch. The effect was that all the cyclists coming past were being pushed into traffic to pass them. This is essentially a blind rise and a couple of the bikes came very close to the passing cars. I’m not trying to single out Team Pure Savage (who are in this photo) as there are other groups I’ve seen doing the same. This is also a relatively small group as some of the groups stop in such large size that they cross the yellow line themselves - leaving even less space to pass. 

post-50876-0-45975100-1582217161_thumb.jpg

Please can we ask all groups to try be more aware of the potential risk you are placing other cyclists if you don't both pull to the side before stopping and then stopping in single file. Another potential solution is to just stop slightly further down the other side of the hill - so that that traffic has more time to see and react to those cyclists having to pull into the lane to pass the group.

I’m sure no cyclist would intentionally want to put another cyclist at risk - so I thought it might just be a case of them not being aware of thIs impact on others.  
Edited by Nords

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was riding this morning and noticed this group of riders had stopped at the top of Suikerbossie in a big bunch. The effect was that all the cyclists coming past were being pushed into traffic to pass them. This is essentially a blind rise and a couple of the bikes came very close to the passing cars. I’m not trying to single out Team Pure Savage (who are in this photo) as there are other groups I’ve seen doing the same. This is also a relatively small group as some of the groups stop in such large size that they cross the yellow line themselves - leaving even less space to pass. 

attachicon.gifGPTempDownload.JPG

Please can we ask all groups to try be more aware of the potential risk you are placing other cyclists if you don't both pull to the side before stopping and then stopping in single file. Another potential solution is to just stop slightly further down the other side of the hill - so that that traffic has more time to see and react to those cyclists having to pull into the lane to pass the group.

I’m sure no cyclist would intentionally want to put another cyclist at risk - so I thought it might just be a case of them not being aware of thIs impact on others.

K

There is a ton of space you could have used to pass by...I cant believe you are complaining that people are stopping, its in the emergency lane anyway, maybe they just needed an emergency chat....whats the problem...?

Just teasing mate....sometimes people don't use a bit of common sense....like the mtb rider who likes to fix his bike while on the trail path in the middle of a race or congregate at the bottom of a hill around a blind corner!

A lot of groups split up when climbing Suikerbossie, so the natural thing to do is for the front ones to wait on top for the slow coaches to catch up and re-group before riding further. It has always been like that and it will stay like that. What can change though, is that the groups can be more aware of the danger they cause and keep room for others to pass without going over the yellow line. 

A lot of groups split up when climbing Suikerbossie, so the natural thing to do is for the front ones to wait on top for the slow coaches to catch up and re-group before riding further. It has always been like that and it will stay like that. What can change though, is that the groups can be more aware of the danger they cause and keep room for others to pass without going over the yellow line. 

I was also going to say this.

Groups split up going up there both ways and because of the wide shoulder it is a good place to regroup and get a breather.

I'm not of a herd mentality so tend to ride alone or with 1 or 2 mates at most and even we have to regroup there... 

I reckon this is a case of 'mountains out of mole hills'... If we picked out individual things we all did every day we would all be 'wrong' at multiple points.

Patience and a friendly 'Sorry guys, coming through' would do the trick OR just stop in their group, make some awkward comments and then say 'Well are you guys here to ride or have a tea party?' and push through the group making them all feel silly for A) Standing in public dressed like gimps NOT riding and B) Needing so long to regroup/catch their breath after a 6 minute effort......

That's the approach I take with taxis who turn right from the middle lane at the corner of liesbeek and durban roads. It's perfectly understandable that they do this. After all there's a busy taxi rank just up the road and the traffic backs up terribly for that right turn. I just roll up to where they forcing people to wait in the intersection, make a few jokes and ask them politely if they mind if the intersection could function normally.

No man. Of course we all do something somewhere that's uncool and if I'm doing it for gods sake tell me so I can apologise and stop doing it.

I was also going to say this.

Groups split up going up there both ways and because of the wide shoulder it is a good place to regroup and get a breather.

I'm not of a herd mentality so tend to ride alone or with 1 or 2 mates at most and even we have to regroup there...

I reckon this is a case of 'mountains out of mole hills'... If we picked out individual things we all did every day we would all be 'wrong' at multiple points.

Patience and a friendly 'Sorry guys, coming through' would do the trick OR just stop in their group, make some awkward comments and then say 'Well are you guys here to ride or have a tea party?' and push through the group making them all feel silly for A) Standing in public dressed like gimps NOT riding and B) Needing so long to regroup/catch their breath after a 6 minute effort......

Snip Snip

B) Needing so long to regroup/catch their breath after a 6 minute effort......

It takes you 6 minutes to get up Suikerbossie.... Whoa.  :ph34r:  I'm happy to get up there in less than 20min. :whistling: 

re. to the picture posted. Got up to that spot one morning, to find one of those chaps that rides with no sleeves and the funny bike with the handlebars pointing to the front, "parked" sideways in the road, almost exactly where that car is. 

When I told him to get out of the roadway, else he's gonna be roadkill soon, he told me to "f8ck off and mind my own business". So I did.  

............Got up to that spot one morning, to find one of those chaps that rides with no sleeves and the funny bike with the handlebars pointing to the front, "parked" sideways in the road, almost exactly where that car is. 

When I told him to get out of the roadway, else he's gonna be roadkill soon, he told me to "f8ck off and mind my own business". So I did.  

You crashed his photo shoot Wannabe :D

Edited by DJR